Replacement tuners for SE 7 string

Hi there!

I'm looking to replace the non-locking tuners in my SE Custom 7 string (25" version) to locking ones.

Here's a list of the ones I've found that seem to fit without much hassle:
Here's the catch: I use a .074 for my 7th string, as I tune it to A (Drop A) and I've seen that not all tuners accept that string size without modification. I enlarged the hole of the 7th tuner a bit pretty easily, but I wouldn't want to mess with a locking tuner in the same way.

I'm looking for recommendations/tips/guidance on what would be the best course of action here. I'm looking for solid, well-built tuners. I know the MannMade one's are basically modified SE tuners, so I'm a bit reluctant on putting $100+ on them. Much rather buy Japan or USA-made ones.

EDIT: found this post from John Mann from a little while ago where he gives good insight on tuner sizing and such, and it seems the Gotoh's may not be a direct drop in. Is that true? So far the best/easiest option seem to be the Mann Made ones. Are they good? Anybody uses them?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You can order a Hipshot with .080" opening, which is what I did for a baritone. SportHiTech is an awesome Hipshot dealer; I just had to message them to ask for that mod to the set.

The Hipshot keys come with their universal mounting plate, but it puts some of the keys at weird angles which I don't like. To make them line up nicely, you will need to drill new mounting screw holes.

You can order a Hipshot with .080" opening, which is what I did for a baritone. SportHiTech is an awesome Hipshot dealer; I just had to message them to ask for that mod to the set.

The Hipshot keys come with their universal mounting plate, but it puts some of the keys at weird angles which I don't like. To make them line up nicely, you will need to drill new mounting screw holes.

Thanks! Yeah, I think the Hipshots are really good but I don't really like the idea of having them not lining up correctly. My OCD will not let it happen haha

Back