Replacement Tuner Buttons for SE

Hangfire

Hi all,

I'm new here but I purchased my first PRS in the mid-80's... I believe it was the second or third year for PRS. I kept the guitar for a few years but began worrying about playing it in clubs. It was so beautiful that I didn't want anything to happen to it. Regretfully, I ended up selling it... I wished I had kept it but life goes on.

I recently put a deposit down on one of the new PRS DGT SE guitars and I'm very excited to get my hands on this latest and affordable PRS offering!
I was thinking of replacing the tuner buttons but I'm not sure about the SE tuner button fitment.

Does anyone know what or if I can replace the chrome SE buttons for something lighter... maybe ebony?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I'm new here but I purchased my first PRS in the mid-80's... I believe it was the second or third year for PRS. I kept the guitar for a few years but began worrying about playing it in clubs. It was so beautiful that I didn't want anything to happen to it. Regretfully, I ended up selling it... I wished I had kept it but life goes on.

I recently put a deposit down on one of the new PRS DGT SE guitars and I'm very excited to get my hands on this latest and affordable PRS offering!
I was thinking of replacing the tuner buttons but I'm not sure about the SE tuner button fitment.

Does anyone know what or if I can replace the chrome SE buttons for something lighter... maybe ebony?

Thanks in advance!
Just the buttons? Not the whole tuner?

Just the buttons? Not the whole tuner?
I'm hoping that the regular SE tuners will be good enough. I use the trem sparingly and only to give a little depth to chords.
I usually play Strats and have never had any tuning issues with the stock Kluson tuners.

I have 3 SE's and I haven't had tuning issues with any of them. 1 of them is a 2001 Santana SE I have had since it was new. I actually just replaced the tuners on that one with PRS SE locking tuners as a part of a move to put locking tuners on all of my guitars.

I never use the trems on the 2 that have them but tuning problems with trem use are usually caused by the nut.

I'm hoping that the regular SE tuners will be good enough. I use the trem sparingly and only to give a little depth to chords.
I usually play Strats and have never had any tuning issues with the stock Kluson tuners.
I changed the pickups to my favorite Chubtone ‘61 pickups, even tho the stock SE pickups are great. Didn’t change anything else even after I adjusted the trem to float. My SE’s stay in tune fine - much better than any Strat I’ve ever owned. Totally professional guitars.

I changed the pickups to my favorite Chubtone ‘61 pickups, even tho the stock SE pickups are great. Didn’t change anything else even after I adjusted the trem to float. My SE’s stay in tune fine - much better than any Strat I’ve ever owned. Totally professional guitars.
Yes, I've owned a PRS back in the 80's and don't recall having any tuning issues with that one or any of my current line up of Strats! I don't anticipate having any with the SE I was thinking of switching the buttons over to ebony for looks and weight. Thanks! :)

I have 3 SE's and I haven't had tuning issues with any of them. 1 of them is a 2001 Santana SE I have had since it was new. I actually just replaced the tuners on that one with PRS SE locking tuners as a part of a move to put locking tuners on all of my guitars.

I never use the trems on the 2 that have them but tuning problems with trem use are usually caused by the nut.
I have found that a little graphite goes a long way taming most friction issues with the nut. Thanks! :)

I replaced the tuners on my DGT SE with John Mann locking tuners. I changed the tuner buttons with the small bone Tone Ninja ones.

E27-E608-B-0-E80-4-BBA-9-DA0-111-CD73-AD78-C-1-201-a.avif

Last edited:
Back