Refin's, How do you feel about them?

korinafan

Hello All,
I just got a Used, Blue CE 22 Stoptail with Dragon 1's last week for a decent price. I had ordered it online after seeing a few pictures that were not the best quality. I had called about it and was given a verbal description, stating that it was used but not abused. I was fine with some scuffs and dings for the price, primarily because I wanted the Dragon 1's really bad. I did not know if was a Refinish, until I pulled the pick-ups and found to my surprise it was labeled as Black Cherry!
It was then that I noticed that the Treble bout was still somewhat Primer grey. I was fairly disappointed. I have now played it for about a week, and I am totally into the Dragon Pickups! Especially with the stoptail piece. This is definitely a keeper!
So my question to you is, how big of a deal is it to you if the paint is not original, but the sound is killer?
Let me know your thoughts.

Don’t mind refinishing at all (in fact I’ve had one done by PTC).

Do mind seller not disclosing that it had been refinished since I would agree that fact impacts the value.

I agree the seller should have disclosed the refin, if he knew about it, as disclosing mods is expected in a sale. It’s possible that I may have done the same thing, as most of my guitars have never had the pickups out. You might check with PRS to see what their records show on color and if it’s been back to the mothership.

A refinish done right, especially if it was done by the maker of the instrument, is not a concern unless you’re a collector. If you liked the look and how it played before seeing the inside of the pickup cavity, I’d just put that pickup back in and get to playing that bad boy!

My take on Refins.

It really depends on the refin and who has done it. If it's a factory 'refin', that's very different from a DiY or 'unknown' but should still be disclosed prior to the sale.

Such a SHAME to destroy a Black Cherry finish and 'worse', its now blue.... :mad:

Your guitar looks killer, the refin looks killer. You were ok with a few dings...you didn't even know it was a refin until looking under the pickups. Is it really a refin...OR a wacked out exposed original finish damaged by light?

Well in my opinion the answer is irrelevant because the guitar looks like it has a factory finish...I'd just enjoy it.

I wholly support the idea of refinishing guitars. Collector issues over refinishes are for sissies.

The collector bias makes very little logical sense, since the PTC can remove the original finish and redo it to factory spec.

I have two blue guitars, one an Artist, and the other a PS. Both are crying out to be refinished in one of the many far more sensible and attractive Amber shades.

What on earth was I thinking when I bought them?

It's because they sound phenomenal and have features I wanted, in spite of my feelings that the words. 'blue stain' and 'wooden guitars' should never be spoken in the same sentence, or looked at by sentient beings.

I've already warned off the alien slave-masters who visit my studio. Aliens can't handle the clash between 'wood' and 'blue'. ;)

Would I spend thousands to have the refinishing done? On a the right day, probably!

To make matters even more pressing, mine have purple accents. Purple, I tell you!

Blue plus purple - what. A bruise? WTF were they thinking? WTF was I thinking? I have no answers, ladies and germs. One does what one must!.

By the few pics, it doesn’t look like a horrible refin? The grey is a little weird but doesn’t bug me much. If it plays good, sounds good- I wouldn’t care unless you feel like you got taken advantage of or you hate the color and it wasn’t represented in the sale.

Back