Refin's, How do you feel about them?

I had a refinish done by the PTC on a CE-22. When the factory does it, its a no brainer to me if you can spend the money. But I’d be selective about which outside shop I’d send it to.

If you like it, run with it. It would have been nice if it had been disclosed.

It really depends on who does the refinish on how it impacts the value. I asked a lot of questions of some collectors I know when PRS needed to refinish one of my guitars. From what I was told, is the manufacturer refinishes it, it doesn't really negatively impact the value. I honestly thought that it would. I have not tried to sell the guitar that PRS refinished of mine so I have no idea if it will affect it or not. You would never know mine was refinished. It is the exact same color it was when it went in. The only indicator is that the issue it had is gone. I personally have never bought a refinished guitar because I know how bad it affects the value. I have one that PRS did and am not really sure what to think about that. I know the guitar is worth more to me without the finish issues it had. Anyone that saw the before and after, I think they would agree.

If I was a millionare buying original Bursts, would I pay the same sum if it had a refin that was as good or better looking than the original? Yes, yes I would.

If it’s well done and looks great, I have 0 problems with refins. I could even see a refin being MORE desirable than an ugly or boring original finish on a guitar.

If it’s done by PRS, then it’s as good as the original. Especially if its a refinish of the clear coat.

Back