Rediscovering a PRS!

Blackbear

I bought a Artist V several years ago but it never became my main gigging instrument, instead I use a DGT & SC Hollowbody II for playing out. I just could not bond with the Artist pickups, but recently I picked up a new rig and the Artist pickups are sounding killer with the new set up. I had even thought of trading the Artist off at one time now I'm glad I didn't!

Funny how our perceptions of an instrument can change 180 degrees when another variable is introduced.

Very cool. What are the old and new rigs? What do you think made the change?

My Artist V is still my #1 electric. The interesting thing for me is that it sounds very different with my current amp, the HX/DA, than it did with the amp I had when I got it, a Two-Rock. With the TR, I usually played it with the pickups split. With the HX/DA it's all about the full humbuckers.

Interesting how a different amp will change what we want to hear!

What styles of music do you usually play?

I go through this frequently myself as well! Both changing a rig and sometimes even just a little time between the last time I picked up a guitar and playing it with a fresh set of ears can be enough to really change how I feel about the tone of a guitar! I'm also extremely fortunate now to have the luxury of a full stable of PRS available at home and all the models are unique (anything from a Custom 24 to a DGT to a Semihollow P22!) and if I go long enough playing a specific 1 or 2 and then pick up one I haven't touched in a few days/weeks, it can be a real eye-opener! I've been playing the crap out of my P22 Trem almost exclusively these days, so for giggles I left her on the stand last night and grabbed my Custom 24 AND my DGT instead. It was just simply incredible! Both guitars had a unique timbre to them that works well for certain applications and I couldn't be happier! It has been weeks since I've picked up my DGT since I had several new arrivals, and it's easy to forget how amazing some of them sound if you go long enough without playing them, but it all comes back instantly as soon as I plug them in and start playing! :D Congrats on the rekindling of the Artist V love, those are awesome guitars and I came *thiiiiiiiiis* close to picking one of those up when MF was blowing out their 2012 models, but the one I wanted sold before I was able to snag it! :)

For me............. It's just that some days, none of my stuff sounds right through a particular Amp!

Ain't that the truth! I had one of those days this week - I couldn't play anything. I ended up bagging things after about 15-20 minutes.

Back