Random. No more or less

One year ago today I suffered a stroke. In the immediate aftermath I could not form a simple chord or play a basic scale. In addition to formal physical therapy I spent hours relearning how to play guitar as a way to stimulate my brain, regain manual dexterity and preserve my sanity. Apparently my damaged already feeble brain was able to find new pathways to recover what I had lost. Pretty amazing stuff.

Congrats on the recovery, and much respect for your efforts. Back in September I suffered a spinal injury due to disc compression and woke up from the surgery initially not being able to use my hands and paralysis in my legs. I'm returning to work Monday, and though I still rely on a walker a bit, I'm back to managing with just a cane as well, driving myself to p.t., etc. It's a tough pill to swallow in those first days, but neuroplasticity is a reality, yet medicine has only been really aware of it since the latter half of the last century. They told me 'maybe in twelve months', I got there in less than six.

Like you, I chose to fight, work hard, (...and take in Moon's creative audio offerings...) and let the chips fall where they may. Slowly things came back on line, and the more I regained control, the harder I pushed, and the harder I pushed, the more I regained, rinse, repeat. Either you buy into the opportunity, or you don't, but sadly, it doesn't always work out for some as I witnessed too many times.

Your story 'struck a chord' 😉 with me because I get it, and am totally stoked for you. Keep pushing yourself to surpass your previous abilities.....PROPS!
Mad props to both of you!

@tiboy RESPECT man! Never give in.
@Lola If the wind ever quits blowing (it's a spring thing in these parts I reckon) I will make some loud noise of my own with my chain saw. Have a lot of trees to take down to clean up my property and make more landscape work. Words of wisdom: if you ever begin work on an acreage, take as much down as you can when you are clearing to build (like friggin' everything!) and plant whatever you want. You'll thank me later I promise. This would have been a whole lot easier on the body 35 years ago and a whole lot less messing around.
I have 6 huge bams that are a serious threat to my house now. As beautiful as they are, they would make a trainwreck of my home should they decide to go down in a wind storm. And of course they are of a nature that I will require professional help to remove them safely. The others I can do myself but then once the smaller ones are gone, that weakens the stability and increases the vulnerability of the large dangerous ones.
Guess what I did all frigging afternoon? Cut down trees. My youngest son topped the 3 trees to be taken down. We had to tie them off so we could control the fall. Then we got busy breaking, chopping, sawing and yes many swear words were uttered. These trees are just swamp cedars. But what a mess. We just came in for a bite to eat and a shower, then I am off to the hospital for my MRI.

@tiboy we are very similar in matters of discipline. We just never give up! Mad props to you and me. That attitude has served us both well! Wishing you the very best of whatever the evening has to offer you. You are a FORCE to be reckoned with! ❤️❤️❤️

Last edited:
Honestly you can quit but it’s probably very relaxing to have a stogie. I remembered when I used to smoke 25 years ago. I used to drink to. I was a conservative smoker@ 1/2 pkg a day. I gave up everything except the edibles. When my top is spinning at 200 mph and I am having a hard time coping an edible will bring me back down to earth very nicely and allow me to relax. Another reason why I started roller skating and cycling.

My next adventure. Will be done what different!

I want these

Well, I guess considering you have a helmet now, I can approve! I would however recommend wrist guards, elbow guards and knee pads if you do decide to "jump" into this adventure!! At least until you get used to them ;~))

No more work! I am free! Today was a horrible day from hell! I walked out that door with my head held high. Got into a heated argument(shouldn’t of but did) I am done with this company.
My job has robbed me of everything I hold dear. Manipulated, lied to and just the toxicity not to mention the over 200 hours I worked for them for free during each lockdown. My health has declined steadily. Looking for a new fresh start with decent ppl. I am going to take a vacation for a week or two. I’am going to talk to the manager at Loews. He was interested in me when I spoke with him before. I just need stuff to do.

NO MORE lunacy. Free at last.

Recharge your batteries and start anew Lola!

For me, I just had one of those sessions where everything sounded like crap. Didn't matter what I played I hated it. Been a long time since I had to put the axe down and walk away. I'm gonna blame SRV for it. One of his simplest songs tripped me up and everything went for s**t in a hurry. After that nothing worked...oh well.

Recharge your batteries and start anew Lola!

For me, I just had one of those sessions where everything sounded like crap. Didn't matter what I played I hated it. Been a long time since I had to put the axe down and walk away. I'm gonna blame SRV for it. One of his simplest songs tripped me up and everything went for s**t in a hurry. After that nothing worked...oh well.
And the next session will be epic! Been there, done that!!

I honestly have had too much on my plate with what’s going on. I just had a migraine from hell. It was so bad I was screaming and writhing with pain. Glad and very fortunate to have my migraine meds. And the Canadian government pays for my Botox. Thank you Canadian government. This week has been a veritable sh*t show. All the BS at work. I am going to just kick back for a week or two and then get something part time. My lawyer has my severance papers and is looking at everything. They are already trying to rip me off. Canadian labour laws state that for every year you work you are entitled 1 week severance. They offered me 8 weeks plus my vacation when it should be 14 weeks. I worked there 14 years NOT 8. Corporations just amaze me in what they think they can do to their former employees. I had all these visions of grandeur(sorry Howie I know you don’t like confrontation) but this is $ out of my pocket. I have to fight for me. I can’t and won’t back down and will proceed with what the lawyer has thought I should do. I got my fighting spirit back. It was a veritable crisis when I walked home. I went right to my neighbours house because she works a similar job for another corporation. I needed mental support in the first few hours. I was in shock. The toxicity of this place made me get very sick so I say F*CK THEM! What an outright horrible company to work for. The only good things were my benefits. I will let my lawyer do his job and see what tomorrow brings. I am so happy this happened actually because I don’t have to work my tail off juggling multiple projects only to get treated like a piece of garbage. Now that things are said and done tomorrow will be better and so on and so on. Just another bump in the road which I can handle. Thx ppl for letting me rant the good rant. You are a great group of homies to hang with . ❤️ I really love you ppl for all of your support, your kindness and caring. Thank you my flock! Lol

@MoondogWilly I haven’t had the inking to pick up my guitar in two weeks. I did pick it up for 5 minutes here and there but I will get back into the swings of things.

I just want to thank each and everyone for your unrelenting kindness and all of your wise thoughts.

Plus in another year I can collect CPP AND OAS. My husband is receiving his. So once I get my proper payout and we both have pensions we will be fine. My severance is more then enough to finish his course of medications until August 30th. Also we also have our lake house and that’s being sold down the road.

We are going to be just fine. We have managed to land on our feet once again.

Last edited:
I honestly have had too much on my plate with what’s going on. I just had a migraine from hell. It was so bad I was screaming and writhing with pain. Glad and very fortunate to have my migraine meds. And the Canadian government pays for my Botox. Thank you Canadian government. This week has been a veritable sh*t show. All the BS at work. I am going to just kick back for a week or two and then get something part time. My lawyer has my severance papers and is looking at everything. They are already trying to rip me off. Canadian labour laws state that for every year you work you are entitled 1 week severance. They offered me 8 weeks plus my vacation when it should be 14 weeks. I worked there 14 years NOT 8. Corporations just amaze me in what they think they can do to their former employees. I had all these visions of grandeur(sorry Howie I know you don’t like confrontation) but this is $ out of my pocket. I have to fight for me. I can’t and won’t back down and will proceed with what the lawyer has thought I should do. I got my fighting spirit back. It was a veritable crisis when I walked home. I went right to my neighbours house because she works a similar job for another corporation. I needed mental support in the first few hours. I was in shock. The toxicity of this place made me get very sick so I say F*CK THEM! What an outright horrible company to work for. The only good things were my benefits. I will let my lawyer do his job and see what tomorrow brings. I am so happy this happened actually because I don’t have to work my tail off juggling multiple projects only to get treated like a piece of garbage. Now that things are said and done tomorrow will be better and so on and so on. Just another bump in the road which I can handle. Thx ppl for letting me rant the good rant. You are a great group of homies to hang with . ❤️ I really love you ppl for all of your support, your kindness and caring. Thank you my flock! Lol

@MoondogWilly I haven’t had the inking to pick up my guitar in two weeks. I did pick it up for 5 minutes here and there but I will get back into the swings of things.

I just want to thank each and everyone for your unrelenting kindness and all of your wise thoughts.

Plus in another year I can collect CPP AND OAS. My husband is receiving his. So once I get my proper payout and we both have pensions we will be fine. My severance is more then enough to finish his course of medications until August 30th. Also we also have our lake house and that’s being sold down the road.

We are going to be just fine. We have managed to land on our feet once again.

Sounds like you are on your way to a better life Miss Lola! Congrats!! And get back on those guitars, you know it is a rush!!!

Take your time to chill Lola, but chin up always.
My solution to stress has always been to go downstairs and hit the heavy bag, great therapy! Rumor has it you shouldn't take that kind of anger out on real humans, no matter how badly they need/deserve it. ;) Once the frustration was out, I could focus on more cerebral and internal/philosophical aspects of my "other" life passion in martial arts. Working through my repertoire of kata has always brought me to another place where nothing else matters, only the movements and the internalization of the forms. And I meditate...a lot. Not technically "zen" but sort of my personal version and interpretation of it.
Perhaps one day I can channel some of that mental focus into my guitars to avoid hideous road blocks like the one I hit yesterday.😆

Take your time to chill Lola, but chin up always.
My solution to stress has always been to go downstairs and hit the heavy bag, great therapy! Rumor has it you shouldn't take that kind of anger out on real humans, no matter how badly they need/deserve it. ;) Once the frustration was out, I could focus on more cerebral and internal/philosophical aspects of my "other" life passion in martial arts. Working through my repertoire of kata has always brought me to another place where nothing else matters, only the movements and the internalization of the forms. And I meditate...a lot. Not technically "zen" but sort of my personal version and interpretation of it.
Perhaps one day I can channel some of that mental focus into my guitars to avoid hideous road blocks like the one I hit yesterday.😆
Right now I don’t have the physical strength to even think about working out. My health issues are so compounded now because of this stupid job. All I can do right now is take a nice hot shower, eat a bit and stay in bed. I am mentally and physically drained. I just don’t feel really well.

I have often thought about mediation. I haven't figured out how to get past it feeling silly. My mind hasn't figured out how to take it seriously. I found some guided meditations on Spotify. I haven't found one that has worked yet. I feel like I could benefit from finding a way to get my brain to disconnect from though at times. I am always on in my head. I really hate it when I wake up at night and my brain kicks into rapid thought about all sorts of stuff then I have a hard time getting back to sleep. I thought I had it worked out. I had a process I was putting my mind through that was working. I shared that with my wife and it stopped working right after that.

Back