Random. No more or less

Just one caution about CBD - don't take if you are on a statin for your cholesterol. The CBD disrupts the uptake of the statin so not only are you not getting that med into your body, the buildup of statin causes some chemical crap within that's not good. Google it if you need the details.
I did not know that! Thank for the enlightenment. I don’t take any of that stuff.

Get the good stuff on line. The dispensaries around here do not have what I need. They have a government cap on the percentage of THC/CBD that may be obtained through edibles products. I started to make my own cookies again. They are fairly strong and I save those for close to bedtime. Great for getting some solid sleep but the dreams I am having are just so bizarre. When I don’t imbibe I don’t dream or at least I don’t remember anything!

I tried the CBD because my sister-in-law insisted it would help with some sciatica issues I was having down my leg and into my foot, as it did for her.

The CBD did temporarily relieve some symptoms, but at an unacceptable price - I felt absolutely horrible the next day. I tried it for a few days when the pain was bad, but the cure was far worse than the disease. Needless to say that after a few days, I was done. Eventually the pain stopped with stretching and exercise, which seemed to me to be the most reasonable solution.

Many of us have friends or relatives who swear by this stuff, but its utility seems to be idiosyncratic - it isn't for everyone. It's legit to say what works for us, but I'd be hesitant to prescribe home remedies for others.

Caveat emptor!

Just one caution about CBD - don't take if you are on a statin for your cholesterol. The CBD disrupts the uptake of the statin so not only are you not getting that med into your body, the buildup of statin causes some chemical crap within that's not good. Google it if you need the details.
Is it the same with cannabis? Asking for a friend.;)

I tried the CBD because my sister-in-law insisted it would help with some sciatica issues I was having down my leg and into my foot, as it did for her.

The CBD did temporarily relieve some symptoms, but at an unacceptable price - I felt absolutely horrible the next day. I tried it for a few days when the pain was bad, but the cure was far worse than the disease. Needless to say that after a few days, I was done. Eventually the pain stopped with stretching and exercise, which seemed to me to be the most reasonable solution.

Many of us have friends or relatives who swear by this stuff, but its utility seems to be idiosyncratic - it isn't for everyone. It's legit to say what works for us, but I'd be hesitant to prescribe home remedies for others.

Caveat emptor!
The GG was the same way. She was having trouble sleeping so she gave it a shot and it actually had the opposite effect for her. She barely slept. Keep in mind she’s a teetotaler. I on the other hand, take the “real deal” and they do wonders for my pain but they aren’t a cure all, and they definitely aren’t for everybody!

Caveat Emptor indeed!

I just got back from some much needed two wheel therapy in BC. Ended up going solo since herself picked up a bug and couldn't tag along. Met up with some Goldwing friends that I hadn't seen since well before the pandemic reared it's ugly head so it was a real good meet-up. Up until the smoke from the wildfires in the mountains got thick. Just about wore the skid pads off my floorboards, very good for the soul.
Incidentally, my missus is a clinical pharmacist (no influence from Big Pharma sales reps in her particular line of work) and she would have plenty to say about the actual (?) medicinal properties of commercial CBD and cannabis in just about any form. Not judging anybody's perspectives or choices, just saying. To each their own.

This is something that really just comes and goes with me. I find myself going through periods where I struggle with having interest in playing guitar. These periods can last a few days to a few months. Sometimes it will get to the point that I stop listening to music I enjoy during these periods. Then out of nowhere I will slowly gravitate back to playing and listening to music. So what I am asking is what do you do to keep yourself engaged in playing guitar?

This is something that really just comes and goes with me. I find myself going through periods where I struggle with having interest in playing guitar. These periods can last a few days to a few months. Sometimes it will get to the point that I stop listening to music I enjoy during these periods.
This is a cry for help! No, a SCREAM for help. Please consult a therapist immediately. Breaks from music are not good for the soul! Get help before it's too late!!!!

Seriously, we all have various levels of love for, and commitment too, music. Some like it, some love it, some are passionate about it, some are obsessed. I'd fall into the 3rd category. If I'm away from guitar for even a week, say while on vacation, I can't wait to get back and play.

This is a cry for help! No, a SCREAM for help. Please consult a therapist immediately. Breaks from music are not good for the soul! Get help before it's too late!!!!

Seriously, we all have various levels of love for, and commitment too, music. Some like it, some love it, some are passionate about it, some are obsessed. I'd fall into the 3rd category. If I'm away from guitar for even a week, say while on vacation, I can't wait to get back and play.
So humor aside I am a therapist and due to the perils of the profession I do see a therapist on a weekly basis :)

Seriously, we all have various levels of love for, and commitment too, music. Some like it, some love it, some are passionate about it, some are obsessed.
And some are driven to leave lucrative careers in law to go into the composing biz. ;)

"I'd say that goes beyond obsession and heads into wacko-psycho territory, Les. BTW, that's one career in law, not 'careers in law'; no one else is as nuts as you are."

"Well, I know one other person who did. What about moving on from ad music and getting into writing orchestral music?"

"OK, you're not heading into wacko-psycho territory, you've arrived. Say hello to Nurse Ratchet! How's that padded cell working out for ya?"

"Well, I've been clapping a lot and so far, very little echo, so it's probably a decent vocal booth or room to record amps in."

":rolleyes: I guess, keep clapping....?"

And some are driven to leave lucrative careers in law to go into the composing biz. ;)

"I'd say that goes beyond obsession and heads into wacko-psycho territory, Les. BTW, that's one career in law, not 'careers in law'; no one else is as nuts as you are."

"Well, I know one other person who did. What about moving on from ad music and getting into writing orchestral music?"

"OK, you're not heading into wacko-psycho territory, you've arrived. Say hello to Nurse Ratchet! How's that padded cell working out for ya?"

"Well, I've been clapping a lot and so far, very little echo, so it's probably a decent vocal booth or room to record amps in."

Dude, all you need is one video game gig and you’ll be a composer for real.

So should we call you Randle McSchefman now?!

It doesn’t matter if I am a way from my guitars and can’t play because of a given situation. I visualize the song I want to practice and then I basically play air guitar with placement of my fingers as I would onmy fretboard. It works great for me. I am literally dying to play though. When I get to home the first thing I do I’d pick up one of my babies, plug in and it’s pure bliss.

For me, going to the "obsession" level of playing, means something like Yngwie or one of these guys that played 6 - 10 hours a day as a teen. I could never do that. I had sports and chasing girls, cars, school and all that to fit in my schedule.

As much as I thought I wanted to be a rock star, I knew that I could never really do it because they get their start playing in bars, which is something I wouldn't do. I had offers and played in a few bands, but that was always the sticking point. And as much as I wanted to be "the best" at it, once people like Yngwie came along I realized it would take more than I was willing to give. I've told this before, but I was literally 80% of the way through learning an Yngwie song note for note (and yes, I know he doesn't play them the same every time, but it was about the learning and the ability to say "I can play it just like him). And when a song is 3 1/2 minute long and is blistering soloing the whole time, it takes a while to get all those solos down. I realized that I had enough ability to play those solos, but actually learning say a whole album worth of Yngwie, note for note, would take MONTHS even if I practiced it for over an hour a day. That realization came during my "break" though (literally, 10 years of not playing after I broke my wrist). But I never attempted to note for note an Yngwie song after that. Edit: Although it would have been doable after he added vocals and started doing more normal solo breaks, instead of soloing the whole song like he did on the first two albums.

So, passionate, but not obsessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am passionately obsessed with playing my guitars. I finally came up with a time when to practice. I have a schedule finally and I know exactly what I am doing in every practice session. It makes my life easier. Fridays and the weekend are a free for all in that I play whatever I feel like playing.

I think honestly I am right on the borderline with being obsessed. Bad thing, good thing. Idk. It makes very happy anyways to know that I have mastered a lick etc. and that I can now incorporate into my playing.

Back