Random. No more or less

Tad bleary eyed today. Went to the Eagles concert last night in Edmonton. As to be expected the show was nothing short of fabulous. But of note a couple interesting take-aways.
I was stunned by Vince Gill's guitar prowess, he's incredible to say the least. He did some wicked lead breaks on both a Tele and a LP. I never noticed him using anything but an acoustic his last time here and even though I knew he was a great player, last night just set him on a whole other level for me. He can shred with the best of them.
Then Joe Walsh (always a character on stage) floored me by playing two different PRS models, plus a Rickenbacker 230 GF (given to him by the late great Glen Frey). I'd seen the 230 in his hands before, but the significance wasn't important to me then like it is now. The two PRS were (I thought) might be a Paul's due to the pickups and the stoptail, and a Custom/Special(?) semi hollow. I know there's a Signature Joe Walsh PRS, but the one he played last night wasn't it. I didn't recognize the semi from anything I've seen either (different pups but that happens all the time) and due to the distance I couldn't be sure of either one for sure. Just was good to see him playing them though.
There were also some different models of Strats and a couple Gretsch and ES machines that were obviously modded and set up to the personal alterations of Henley, Smith and Walsh's personal tasted of pickups and electronics.
As always, Stu Smith was exemplary, and he's a marvel to watch and listen to. Timothy Schmidt still has the soft high vocals and his own active style of bass kick, especially on some of the more lively tunes of the Eagles historical repertoire. Henley is still the ruler of the roost, but he was somehow more comfortable looking last night and was more intimate with the 16 or so thousand devoted fans in his addresses and interactions with the crowd.
Funny how you notice things after the first 25 years of just being a listener/fan rather than a late middle aged 20 year git-fiddle head.
Sad to think that this could be the last time the name Eagles would grace the local stage (inevitable maybe?) but if the day comes and one more chance at being at another live performance were to happen, I would certainly step up to the plate and sit much closer. I would love to have a much better view of the instruments than the teasers I got last night.

Tad bleary eyed today. Went to the Eagles concert last night in Edmonton. As to be expected the show was nothing short of fabulous. But of note a couple interesting take-aways.
I was stunned by Vince Gill's guitar prowess, he's incredible to say the least. He did some wicked lead breaks on both a Tele and a LP. I never noticed him using anything but an acoustic his last time here and even though I knew he was a great player, last night just set him on a whole other level for me. He can shred with the best of them.
Then Joe Walsh (always a character on stage) floored me by playing two different PRS models, plus a Rickenbacker 230 GF (given to him by the late great Glen Frey). I'd seen the 230 in his hands before, but the significance wasn't important to me then like it is now. The two PRS were (I thought) might be a Paul's due to the pickups and the stoptail, and a Custom/Special(?) semi hollow. I know there's a Signature Joe Walsh PRS, but the one he played last night wasn't it. I didn't recognize the semi from anything I've seen either (different pups but that happens all the time) and due to the distance I couldn't be sure of either one for sure. Just was good to see him playing them though.
There were also some different models of Strats and a couple Gretsch and ES machines that were obviously modded and set up to the personal alterations of Henley, Smith and Walsh's personal tasted of pickups and electronics.
As always, Stu Smith was exemplary, and he's a marvel to watch and listen to. Timothy Schmidt still has the soft high vocals and his own active style of bass kick, especially on some of the more lively tunes of the Eagles historical repertoire. Henley is still the ruler of the roost, but he was somehow more comfortable looking last night and was more intimate with the 16 or so thousand devoted fans in his addresses and interactions with the crowd.
Funny how you notice things after the first 25 years of just being a listener/fan rather than a late middle aged 20 year git-fiddle head.
Sad to think that this could be the last time the name Eagles would grace the local stage (inevitable maybe?) but if the day comes and one more chance at being at another live performance were to happen, I would certainly step up to the plate and sit much closer. I would love to have a much better view of the instruments than the teasers I got last night.
even my old friends
treat me like somebody new

Something I forgot to mention, Jim Ed Normal was there directing the Oil City Strings (Edmonton Symphony players) and playing piano on Desperado and a couple of the other older hits . Jim has worked with them at various times since the recording of the Desperado album in '73 (not to mention a very young Don Henley in his "Felicity" band days) and also played piano on the original recording of Lyin' Eyes. So cool to see him touring with the group now. Such a great arranger and player in his own right. He's also done arranging for many others: Elton John, Bob Seger, Tricia Yearwood, Jackie DeShannon... so many legends in his career.

Back