Random. No more or less

Chord theory refresher?
Not really a refresher as such. I never bothered to learn this stuff. I justified in my mind that if I could play what I wanted to hear, I didn't need to know the theory behind it, just needed to know what to play. So there are many things that when they are explained out don't mean much to me. Then I go try them and hear what they mean and I already "knew" how to get that, just didn't know the technical term for what I was doing.

For example, when I'm playing with the group I sometimes play with, there are 3 guys in the band who know ever version of every chord. They'll say some crazy chord name and to me, initially, it means little. But it it starts with G, it only takes me a second to figure out which version of a G chord that I know, is the one they are referring too.

In my mind, if I can play what I want to hear, I don't need to know or understand the theory behind it. There is nothing wrong with knowing the theory, and I'll never say that there is, nor would I ever say that it couldn't be helpful to know it. But not knowing it has never held me back.

I guess that's the blessing of being a hack. :)

Last edited:
Not really a refresher as such. I never bothered to learn this stuff. I justified in my mind that if I could play what I wanted to hear, I didn't need to know the theory behind it, just needed to know what to play. So there are many things that when they are explained out don't mean much to me. Then I go try them and hear what they mean and I already "knew" how to get that, just didn't know the technical term for what I was doing.

For example, when I'm playing with the group I sometimes play with, there are 3 guys in the band who know ever version of every chord. They'll say some crazy chord name and to me, initially, it means little. But it it starts with G, it only takes me a second to figure out which version of a G chord that I know, is the one they are referring too.

In my mind, if I can play what I want to hear, I don't need to know or understand the theory behind it. There is nothing wrong with knowing the theory, and I'll never say that there is, nor would I ever say that it couldn't be helpful to know it. But not knowing it has never held me back.

I did it that way for a lot of years. I always seemed to end up in a place where I just felt stuck and had no creativity. I also had issues jumping in with groups I never played with before and keeping up. I finally got so frustrated with it that I went to a guy I knew that gave lessons that knows all of this very well. I spent a little over a year taking lessons from him to learn it.

I went in for my lesson one week and at the end of it he told me that he taught me everything he knows and it was time for me to go put it to good use. It was the best thing I ever did for my playing. I have stepped up on a stage many times with people I have never played with before and played songs on someone else's guitar and did well. I have even played in some groups where I didn't even know the songs but someone in the band knew enough to feed me some numbers from the Nashville system and I was able to keep up and improvise solos.

It changed my world and made me a much better player. I also know where to start putting things together to make my own stuff up and have it sound decent. I would recommend to anyone that feels like they keep getting into ruts to go learn this stuff.

That's Tommy Emmanuel. He's a self-admitted non-knowing theory person. He's KNOWS all of it, he has no idea what anything is called. Ands he's one of the greatest guitarists EVER.

Playing what you want to hear is paramount; for some people, knowing theory helps them with that. To others, it actually confuses them. Following your ear/heart (Andy Timmons has coined the phrase "auralect" instead of "intellect") is where it's at, especially when creating your own music.

2 videos I was reminded of by your post:

This one should cue up at 5:25, if it doesn't, fast-forward to the part about chords:

Whatever works is my motto.

I avoided theory like the plague for a long while. I figured I didn't need it. But eventually there came a time that I realized it would make things easier and I would progress faster. It became all about saving time. I always thought that investing the time in learning theory would take away too much time from playing, but it was actually he opposite.

I agree with what @JasonE says.

Yeah you have to watch that sometimes though.

I've heard session guys and veterans in the industry miscommunicate information. Part of that I think comes from the whole Nashville numbers thing which is sort of like a functional analysis except everything is done relative to the major key.
A bit surprising actually.

Lots of good players in Nashville though for sure.

I did it that way for a lot of years. I always seemed to end up in a place where I just felt stuck and had no creativity.

I hear that. I combated that by learning more songs, by more other players. Jumping from player/group to player and style to style was how I always got through that.
Whatever works is my motto.

I avoided theory like the plague for a long while. I figured I didn't need it. But eventually there came a time that I realized it would make things easier and I would progress faster. It became all about saving time. I always thought that investing the time in learning theory would take away too much time from playing, but it was actually he opposite.
Exactly! Do whatever you need too, to get there. And, don't do what you don't need too or what doesn't bring you pleasure.

It changed my world and made me a much better player. I also know where to start putting things together to make my own stuff up and have it sound decent. I would recommend to anyone that feels like they keep getting into ruts to go learn this stuff.
Learning a few new things (I knew this stuff before but wasn’t really interested) I started to learn triads and their inversions and that opened up a whole new world for me. I know when it’s time to learn something new to keep my motivation at the highest level possible.

Last edited:
Mike Chelini passed this Hallows eve. He was the longest tenured winemaker in the Napa Valley at 47 years with Stony Hill Winery. He was an icon and is sorely missed. I spent many of my formative years in the valley in the mid 80’s to mid 90’s. I didn’t know him well, but I had the honor of meeting and serving he and his family a number of times, especially over my last few years in the restaurant business. I also had the pleasure of working with one of his daughters. His passing hit me surprisingly hard; as I mentioned, I didn’t know him well. What I did see is that he was a fine, strong and passionate man. He was settling into being an icon at a very special time in my life, and at a very special time for the valley, just as it was getting noticed, and before it started getting… overrun by celebrity chefs and wanna be wine aficionados. Godspeed Mike.

You certainly are NOT a hack @DreamTheaterRules! I have heard you play! You’re a brilliant player even though you profess not to be!! I am in the know! ❤️

PS Happy belated Thanksgiving to all my American hommies!

And I started learning some Krokus, Stayed awake all night. This is hands down a great song to learn!

You certainly are NOT a hack @DreamTheaterRules! I have heard you play! You’re a brilliant player even though you profess not to be!! I am in the know! ❤️

PS Happy belated Thanksgiving to all my American hommies!

And I started learning some Krokus, Stayed awake all night. This is hands down a great song to learn!
Thank you for the kind words (blushing emoji).

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and all my Canadian... uh, do we have to call you hosers? :D

And yes, that song is a ROCKER! Has a very "live" vibe and feel even on the studio version, and very fun to play!

Thank you for the kind words (blushing emoji).

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and all my Canadian... uh, do we have to call you hosers? :D

And yes, that song is a ROCKER! Has a very "live" vibe and feel even on the studio version, and very fun to play!
So do you mind if I run into something that I don’t know and maybe you do I can ask you questions if need be? Pls and thx. You are such a reliable and dependable source of knowledge. We learn from each other! Thank you for sharing!

So do you mind if I run into something that I don’t know and maybe you do I can ask you questions if need be? Pls and thx. You are such a reliable and dependable source of knowledge. We learn from each other! Thank you for sharing!
Of course. You know you don't need to ask!

I think I have been missing my weights and just didn’t realize the powerful effect of the endorphin release on my mental state of mind. Worked out my legs with various exercises. Went for a power walk with the dogs. I even bathed them. Now I am off to work! It feels so good to get things accomplished and crossed off my daily to do list.
Have a great rest of your day everyone! ❤️

I think I have been missing my weights and just didn’t realize the powerful effect of the endorphin release on my mental state of mind. Worked out my legs with various exercises. Went for a power walk with the dogs. I even bathed them. Now I am off to work! It feels so good to get things accomplished and crossed off my daily to do list.
Have a great rest of your day everyone! ❤️
No question! When I get a good workout in, I’m both tired and PUMPED afterwards. It’s actually when I do some of my best guitar playing.

I understand completely about the endorphin release. When I was working I got up at 3:44 am to get in a workout before my long commute into work. I worked out 6 days a week with one rest day. My secretaries hated rest days as I arrived at work grumpy. They could always tell my rest day before I reached my desk. My colleagues knew that was not the day to ask for things. Conversely, based on my body language I was not greeted with a hello, but rather “Good (bike) ride this morning?”

No question! When I get a good workout in, I’m both tired and PUMPED afterwards. It’s actually when I do some of my best guitar playing.
I need to get the motivation back to get my butt to the gym. I am paying for the membership and haven't been there much this year. The heart issue kind of knocked it out of me. They told me to stop going so I did. I just didn't go back after they told me to go back...

My motivation is the pain. I like the pain. Today my legs really ache but I know I did them justice. I really need to gain back some of my muscle mass back. Bone density is so important especially as we all get older.

Also I have a bit of a difficult time picking my hubby’s wheel chair up off the ground to move it to different rooms. If I wheel it, one of the dogs cowers. We don’t know why he’s afraid of the wheel chair. So I started picking it up. It’s time to get some strength and resiliency back in my life.

I also have to add more calorie dense foods to my diet such as nuts, more avocados and beans. Building muscles takes a lot of energy. I need to feed my body appropriately. I need to gain 15 pounds at least. I am also looking into sources for vegetarian protein powders so I can add it to my yogurt!

Lola said: "And I started learning some Krokus"
That's a band name I haven't thought of in a very long time. I'm thinking that was late '70's, em what I can remember anyway. That's what you get from living in a house with 3 other guys. God, those times flood back now...

Lola said: "And I started learning some Krokus"
That's a band name I haven't thought of in a very long time. I'm thinking that was late '70's, em what I can remember anyway. That's what you get from living in a house with 3 other guys. God, those times flood back now...
Learning Krokus is so much fun! Give it a go!

Back