Random. No more or less

I played Knocking on Heavens door and nothing else. I can’t even count how many times I played the solos over and over again. I got out my Gibson and played for quite some time. It just felt so right. Such a beautiful song and my bends were spot on. I was just so involved in making this song sound perfect! It didn’t but I am so motivated to get it perfect. Playing something you love to play. Something that you can sink every part of you into! Nothing better.

Is this metal enough? I want to learn. Such a cool song. Right in your face type of song.

Can you give me someone to follow that is full bore metal.
Yes, I can. But I wouldn't go all JUST metal. I'd add hard rock and prog. Van Halen and Ozzie are probably my favorite "hard rock" bands. TONS of stuff between those two from old to newish. Then for metal, you've got Megadeth and Maiden so far. Throw in Judas Priest, Metallica, of course Black Sabbath (slower, kind of opposite of thrash) and then honestly I'd just go back to the classics... The Scorpions, UFO, Uriah Heep, (prog) Yes, Rush and Kansas, ELP, etc. And of course Dream Theater and Circus Maximus.

When you start mixing these groups in, you'll see YOUR response to listening to them, form favorites, AND favorites for certain moods. Heck, I have Todd Rundgren Anthology and I listen to that almost every single month. It's a TOTAL change and such great songs. I listen to that in my office a lot, where Megadeth, Dream Theater, Ozzie and Van Halen may not be "quite" as appropriate. :D

Last edited:
@Moondog Wily Court if the Crimson King. Just a bloody brilliant.

This takes me back to the days of yore! Lol
I have a plethora of music to listen to.

What would could consider Deep Purple? Hard rock or metal?

Yes, I can. But I wouldn't go all JUST metal. I'd add hard rock and prog. Van Halen and Ozzie are probably my favorite "hard rock" bands. TONS of stuff between those two from old to newish. Then for metal, you've got Megadeth and Maiden so far. Throw in Judas Priest, Metallica, of course Black Sabbath (slower, kind of opposite of slash) and then honestly I'd just go back to the classics... The Scorpions, UFO, Uriah Heep, (prog) Yes, Rush and Kansas, ELP, etc. And of course Dream Theater and Circus Maximus.

When you start mixing these groups in, you'll see YOUR response to listening to them, form favorites, AND favorites for certain moods. Heck, I have Todd Rundgren Anthology and I listen to that almost every single month. It's a TOTAL change and such great songs. I listen to that in my office a lot, where Megadeth, Dream Theater, Ozzie and Van Halen may not be "quite" as appropriate. :D
You must be my older brother from another mother! Lol I love every band that you have acknowledged. They are my all on my setlist ever since I was old enough to realize who these bands were. I love Todd Rungren’s Can we still be friends. But I have to be in a certain mood. Usually it’s a no holds barred situation, I love fast and furious as it suits my nature. Release the endorphins lol If it gets me dancing and makes me feel happy while I’m doing whatever at my house it stays on my setlist.

My music is my essential tool to my mental well being. I’m sure it is to many.

I have been looking for some Canadian content as well. I have Anvil. Metal on Metal is one my absolute favourite song of theirs.

You must be my older brother from another mother! Lol I love every band that you have acknowledged.
Let's add a few more then. More genius stuff, Holdsworth! Brilliant and mind boggling. Even more so if you watch videos. You'll here 100 notes coming out and expect fingers flailing everywhere, but his technique is so unique... you barely see movement sometimes while notes are just FLYING out everywhere.

You want some drug hard rock? Alice in Chains is GREAT!!!! Them Bones is an all time face ripper!

Hard Rock with phenomenal vocals? Boston!

Great songs with wider instrumentation? Chicago

And then we can roll into the classics like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.

Something totally different but very cool and GREAT? The Dregs a mix of rock, jazz and bluegrass that will shock you even if you only like one of those styles.

Old Genesis and of course Steely Dan

Want another eclectic mix of styles that made me listen to styles I normally wouldn't? Living Colour is fantastic!

The Canadian band that was so great, and the guitar player that made me want to play fast, Mahogany Rush

Great all around, Queen

Blues Rock... Jimi is mandatory, but so is Robin Trower!

Got to listen to some Yngwie!

That should keep you busy for a while. :)

And When You Are Done With The Above Suggestions From @DreamTheaterRules Check These Out...

Richie Kotzen
Michael Lee Firkins
Marty Friedman
Gojira
Dio
Arch Mattheos
Nevermore
Jeff Loomis
Fates Warning
Sixx A.M.
Rafael Moreira
Magnetico
Rainbow
And Of Course Some Cheap Trick And Thin Lizzy

So I've got my Silver Sky SE up on Craigslist. Yeah, I know, but I don't want to deal with shipping and won't use FB Mktplace. I've had a couple of nibbles but no fair offer. Whatever, I'm not in a rush. So this afternoon I get an email about it, and all that is in is a link to another used SE SS, for sale at a retailer 4 hours away from here...that is listed as $15 cheaper. It also is a different color, is at least a year older and has nothing but stock photos, and the retailer has terrible reviews.

I'm sort of in an edgy mood, so I responded and said "If this is an offer of $XXX.XX (list price on other site), we can talk. Otherwise, why are you wasting both of our time?"

Why do people do stuff like this? Have we really just become a society of internet trolls?

Court of the Crimson King. Just a bloody brilliant.

This takes me back to the days of yore! Lol
I have a plethora of music to listen to.

What would could consider Deep Purple? Hard rock or metal?
Yeah, great album, great song!!! If you are asking me, I would consider Deep Purple to be hard rock. The reason I sent you that other King Crimson song (Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With) is, it is about the closest thing to metal I think KC ever did (next to 21st Century Schizoid Man and this one came out in 2002) and most people have never heard it. Anyway, rock on (or Metal on) Girl!!!

+1 on Richie Kotzen. His solo stuff (Winery Dogs is cool, but his solo stuff is deeper). HUGELY underrated songwriter and singer!!! I think you would really like him. He doesn't deal with genres, he's got songs that sound like Stevie Wonder, songs that sound like hard rock, songs that sound like Hall & Oates (with rock guitar tho LOL)... he writes what he feels, and he gives each song what it needs.

He also plays ALL the instruments on most of his solo records. Start with his "The Essential" album... it's 2 "discs"... sort of a retrospective of his best stuff up until then. A great "starting place".

Alter Bridge
Disturbed
Five Finger Death Punch
Saving Abel
Pop Evil
Three Days Grace
Halestorm
10 Years
Godsmack
Hinder
Chevelle

@Lola Those are some in my listening list lately. I can come up with more if you like these.

Sitting here noodling around on my guitar quietly. It’s 8:34 am. Blade has a yeast infection in his paws. He’s got medication and a steroidal creme. Mom to the rescue. He keeps on gnawing at his paws so rather then put a cone on him I decided for socks. He looks so unhappy.

Back