Question about Modern Eagle models

johncr

Hi there.
I just sold my PRS Cu24 10 top.
And i'm going upgrade to a Modern Eagle II.
Anybody can give me information about Modern Eagle PickUp output?
And neck profile (I saw Wide Fat, Pattern...)?
And can i buy a brandnew Modern eagle (II/quatro) or just only 2nd used?
------
UPDATE !
I just received the Prs modern eagle 2009 today.
But the seller doesn't have paper about that guitar.
He had changed the Tuners and bridge pickup.
It's seem Rosewood Neck and another kind of Rosewood fingerboard, not one piece rosewoodneck.
Photo :
DKAuPhxNyWNdDRRgyhHckztogozGy2WYm8-JtZU4Zp9Lpl5dSNVUTdKJQMIeXnKnBC4Ptq4DNI5VdS8=w1360-h638-rw

Back
gcDb6dpnvl8IcY4PB0JfcH_OBtw0CqLFx6OEnQUumnW7nBpzW44WXUVq6PPkKm6d_6l6qFUVi5DaNBw=w1360-h638-rw

Bird :
foyEKwORZK5k1IzuTlhaJJuutu_qCBgV-bPFkFbBXcI_LK5XvuwyU9QT7-yRKIZ6mlNGmFQgWnUJyNU=w1360-h589-rw

Can i email PRS for the information of this Modern Eagle? By sending the serial number?
I saw line "Private Stock" behind backplate cover with my guitar serial number, but #5145 is another Private Stock one.
Also, there is "gap" between body vs top wood, near Neck joint.
ZnEdgXhxPgPYmo69pbTkvn8DTteJyRjplF_JnT1UWvOmdLXSdxroDUlJaMDCRPO8_yOBwHtchh8iiCM=w1360-h589

BackPlate Cavity Cover :
1IORnnyuFfxh0xwJfKXKfrqq4AabE15jQvK6VhhJ3w6K3XcHRY5UgGZ82q5rFiSICbuVDhtdm1uGwHQ=w1360-h638-rw

Cavity of bridge PickUp :
tGeGvETiUb1Yoq8kqcmfALwAyIR5EcI5jwQKzX_gpoSkwBF2KKlDK4M9GkPg1bd6x-jPqB5URGkYxz0=w1360-h589-rw

Cavity of Neck PickUp :
_9SYGb7cg9EtXPvMzAE4V-95zr22tzsYzUSWJgMtCcNZIRoNWHqE1O3_EdmTQ8N4UEXxR3bOvgEZ1jQ=w1360-h589-rw

gQFQwaX5G7h2aDHAFjEsAtd-jzYiu6jgraGsETus3LwqtaYzzABCTlCxSdj5m04JgccfCH6qv30hVoE=w1360-h589-rw

Thanks.
John

Last edited:
I had an ME1 and a Quattro. Both came with pickups that were decidedly low output and vintage flavored. The ME2 has 57/08's and while still lowered output handle gain much better than the RP or 53/10 pickups.

Necks should be too close to call, variations in sanding can make them all feel close to the same size. The wood is another story though.....the neck on my ME Quattro felt 'harder' than the brazzy neck on the ME1. The brazzy neck was buttery smooth and felt better than any other rosewood neck I have had. But I do love the standard rosewood neck that PRS uses and still have my McRosie while the rest are gone.

Used is only recourse unless you find a NOS one at a dealer. Both are out of production for years.

Also cost might be a factor.....you can get a killer McRosie for way less than either variant you mention and get a guitar that is arguably as good or better and likely will come with better pickups. McRosies are the bargain of the PRS world IMHO.

The pickups in my MEII are labeled Modern Eagle ( I was told they are early 57/08s ) they are very low output 7.5K ish but sound killer and split really well

Thanks so much my friends!
I just received the Prs modern eagle 2009 today.
But the seller doesn't have paper about that guitar.
It's seem Rosewood Neck and Brazillian Rosewood fingerboard, not one piece rosewoodneck.
Photo : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41lXjJkTb-bVVU5TnNIRkFGQVE/view
Can i email PRS for the information of this Modern Eagle? By sending the serial number?
I saw line "Private Stock" behind backplate cover with my guitar serial number, maybe.... LOL
Photo : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B41lXjJkTb-bV3lSd19ZWTJ1blU

Last edited:
Do you have more pics? Never saw such a shiny neck on a rosewood PRS. Also the private stock info would be on the back of the headstock, not on a cover plate.

private stock 5145 was a red quilt with gold hardware, what color is this one? Private stocks from the 3000 range were from 2011, a 5000 would be very recent.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/gj_prs-privatestock/private-stock.html

Do you have more pics? Never saw such a shiny neck on a rosewood PRS. Also the private stock info would be on the back of the headstock, not on a cover plate.

private stock 5145 was a red quilt with gold hardware, what color is this one? Private stocks from the 3000 range were from 2011, a 5000 would be very recent.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/gj_prs-privatestock/private-stock.html

I don't know that much about the specs of the various Modern Eagles, or the prices they go for these days, but I agree with WEDGE, Private Stock info would be on the back of the headstock. I have a Leese Golden Eagle and it's PS #2224, dated 26 May 2009 (or 05.26.09 to put it in the US date method). A PS # in the 5000's would not be dated 5 months later.

More pics would help.

The modern eagles have other tuners.
The neck of yours is also different than my ME II

Left and right are mine ME II, Charcoal and Tiger Red.
The middle one is a McCarty with Roasewood Neck. I had it on loan for a few days, but i liked my ME II a little bit more.

po1xr1tbnw7oy.jpg

pcieyllmnydxt.jpg

Last edited:
Mine : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41lXjJkTb-bckY5ZXZ0dEY3dEU/view?usp=sharing
Cavity of bridge PickUp : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41lXjJkTb-bZ2hsYVVDOTMzcDQ/view?usp=sharing
Cavity of Neck PickUp : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41lXjJkTb-bbW9Yc0FFcmFNdU0/view?usp=sharing

Anybody can help?
I emailed for PRS service ([email protected]) 2 days ago and dont see the reply. Maybe it's weekend.
You won't see a reply over the weekend. I'd expect to see something in the next day or 2. The guitar looks like a legit ME II. Maybe someone had the neck clear coated because that's not normal. Not sure what that stuff written on the control cover is. Maybe the previous owner bought that cover for a private stock that had plastic covers, then later decided to move it to the ME II. I can tell you that PRS wood covers are much thicker than the standard covers. So my guess is that cover is aftermarket and moved to multiple guitars and the owner wrote that stuff in there.

Enter MODCAT:

Model: Could not find Model 'E2'
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Outline Birds (2008+)
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Charcoal
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: 57/08 Covered
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 57/08 Covered
Electronics: 3-Way Toggle or Blade

This is what came up in the modcat decoder(not sure how current it is). Looks like the whole guitar was refinished. Not sure why the model is not identified -maybe because it's an older decoder prior to the ME2.

I just recieve an email from PRS :
"Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. It appears you have a 2009 PRS Modern Eagle II with Artist grade maple top, mahogany body, East Indian Rosewood fretboard and neck. The back plate and the writing on it did not come from the PRS factory."

I'm still mind about the neck clear coated and the "gap" between body vs top wood.
1dbZt1NK9wAuEd09Nv8pIKdTkYM17PEdYBPkSReNrCcG8lg-0b3Rf6vIhKoFg4ChYubAlPX6XC0CQk8=w1360-h638

And Neck pickup is ME2 bass, i know that the modern pickup, not like RP pickup??
7jywKxslakFhpswPDJF-3YVriUmcvvSMNWWADH0Jo2u69_8QcbFCH5urCYoukaTok4Vlqkd8MkMCBcY=w1360-h638-rw

Last edited:
"Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. It appears you have a 2009 PRS Modern Eagle II with Artist grade maple top, mahogany body, East Indian Rosewood fretboard and neck. The back plate and the writing on it did not come from the PRS factory."

I'm still confus about the neck clear coated because and the "gap" between body vs top wood.
According to the label in the pickup cavity, the guitar was originally stained charcoal. So the whole thing appears to be refinished. The kluson style tuners are not original so it appears they modified that as well. I believe the serial numbers were stamped into the back of the headstock above the tuners so it's possible they sanded that off(strange) and wrote it in the back of the cover?

According to the label in the pickup cavity, the guitar was originally stained charcoal. So the whole thing appears to be refinished. The kluson style tuners are not original so it appears they modified that as well. I believe the serial numbers were stamped into the back of the headstock above the tuners so it's possible they sanded that off(strange) and wrote it in the back of the cover?
Serial number still there, in the back of headstock, can see it under right light angle
E35c-cTtZPCxIJyyMroIwyXuCDi9D-n0LSaiRcoWtGbAwIB_I2Y6WiVZXTrKYS3icBgEnl8-0B6MmNQ=w1360-h638-rw

The owner told me that He had changed GroverDeluxe Tuners, pheww.

I'm still mind about the neck clear coated and the "gap" between body vs top wood.
1dbZt1NK9wAuEd09Nv8pIKdTkYM17PEdYBPkSReNrCcG8lg-0b3Rf6vIhKoFg4ChYubAlPX6XC0CQk8=w1360-h638

And Neck pickup is ME2 bass, i know that the modern pickup, not like RP pickup??
7jywKxslakFhpswPDJF-3YVriUmcvvSMNWWADH0Jo2u69_8QcbFCH5urCYoukaTok4Vlqkd8MkMCBcY=w1360-h638-rw

I've seen them "appear" clear coated when someone has taken some scotch-brite to the neck to polish it up.

Enter MODCAT:

Model: Could not find Model 'E2'
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Outline Birds (2008+)
Bridge: Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color: Charcoal
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: 57/08 Covered
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: 57/08 Covered
Electronics: 3-Way Toggle or Blade

This is what came up in the modcat decoder(not sure how current it is). Looks like the whole guitar was refinished. Not sure why the model is not identified -maybe because it's an older decoder prior to the ME2.
E2 is Modern Eagle II

I do like the new body color.
I guess you could sand off the neck finish. S many mods already performed, what's a little extra sanding...

I guess you could sand off the neck finish. S many mods already performed, what's a little extra sanding...

I agree on sanding down the neck, one of the main attractions to the modern Eagles is the feel of the rosewood neck and you can't get that with a shiny coating on it

I feel that vintage yellow is fine, but wishing the luthier who paint/finish this could did it better. I dont know about how professional luthier who re-finish this guitar, because it's cause lost of tone wood.
Because it's re-finished, maybe i will return it for the owner. If he can sell it with lower price (about 1000-1500$), i'll think about buying it, and send to PRS Tech Center to re-finish to another color (i like faded blue jean) and neck care ( i heard that cost about 600-800$)
And that become an interesting project.

Back