Q regarding factory specs and pickup height

Michael_DK

Hi guys

I have a small (stupid) question regarding the factory specs - where do you measure the pickup height? Is it bottom of string to the screws, the slugs or the bobbin (or cover, if there is one)?

I will of course adjust to own tastes, but I'd like the proper starting point.

I'm curious about this as well. I measure from the bottom of the string to the mid portion of the pickup cover. Not an exact science, as the front portion of the pickup is closer, and the back portion of farther from the string when depressing the last fret.

Kevin

From the pick up body (not the poles) to the bottom of the string.

Now, having said that, I don't use the measurement, I use my ears. Start at that distance if you want someplace close and then move the pickups until your ears tell you the right location. Up is more powerful, down is more sweet. I usually prefer sweet unless I'm setting it up for a high gain instrument.

mid pup to string. neck usually flat to pup ring. bridge: lots of adjustment to find the right balance of heat vs tone. I also have started adjusting the poles as so 1 and 6 flat to pup 2 and 5 up a half turn 3 and 4 up a full turn. this gets more mids which I like

+1 to measuring by ear.

I've been adjusting the polepieces on my humbuckers to match the string radius, then adjusting the pickup for the tone I want. You can really make a lot of adjustments to the way a pickup sounds, from bright and compressed to sweet and open, depending on how you adjust the pickups - IF you're willing to compromise the amount of output you get.

Back