PSA - looking at changing pickups? Don't forget to try different strings first!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Just a gentle reminder - people are always looking for pickup recommendations, but have you tried a different kind of strings? In my experience, a different type of string often changes the amplified tone of an electric guitar more than swapping out, say, one set of PAF themed pickups for another set of PAF pickups, looking for an elusive "something else."

Don't get me wrong, I've swapped many a pickup myself, but, especially knowing what I now know, it's after I've tried some different string sets. And, honestly, very often it takes a little bit more radical change in pickups to really get something out of it, meaning changing to a whole different style of pickup altogether - different output, different magnets, etc. Not just two different builders' takes on the same thing. Strings, on the other hand - you're gonna change them all the time anyways, why not try something new?

Perfect example - I keep a nice stock of the PRS Classic and Signature strings. Love the Sigs on many of my guitars. On some others, they can be a little abrasive sounding, especially in the wound strings. They were like that on my SSH. Swapped out the Sigs for Classics on the SSH, instant improvement in warmth on those wound strings. Conversely, on a guitar that needs some more note definition, or just plain output, on the wound strings, the Sigs are wonderful. Plus, in the case of guitars that like the Classics, they're actually very affordable strings. I have no problem using them in place of where I was previously using DR Pure Blues all nickel strings at almost twice the price.

Most string manufacturers these days have their all nickel strings, nickel plated steel, and fancy new proprietary alloy - it's not a gimmick. Give them a try!

I hear ya but no string change is going to shift the response of a rounder pickup into something more articulate and tight. You can raise or lower the height, adjust pole pieces, etc but if a pickup isn't working, you need a different pickup.

Now granted, strings are an important personal preference but even then most of us stick with a brand and rarely deviate. Maybe that is the problem?

Good post andy474x

Switching to pure nickel Sono-Tones truly worked for me. Not saying they'd work for anyone else, but they changed all of my guitars into instruments that sound more vintage, the way I want them to sound.

Other people might have VERY different goals.

But Andy's right. Strings matter a great deal.

Bogner's also right about pickup swaps.

"How can they both be right?"

"I don't think they disagree."

Definitely no disagreement. All things in the chain matter a great deal. Strings often get overlooked as do a lot of other pieces in the puzzle. Changing a few of those things can radically alter outcome and are worth looking into. All that said, I don't think a string change will solve all your problems and I know the OP wasn't saying that.

This stuff is great to talk about, think upon and consider because it does matter. Most times we think amp and guitar or pickups but we forget cables, pick, cabinets, speakers, etc. :)

Back