PRS Two Channel Custom 20 - How much gain/compression

cmedcoff

I'm shopping for an amp. I just sold a JVM 410c. Too heavy, too many watts, not enough bottom end. I used the Crunch and Overdrive 1 channels mostly, though I want a clean channel as well.

What I like about the Custom 20, is the independent EQ and the boost. These are features that the JVM have and few amps seem to have. I can't find very many good audio/videos of the Custom 20 to get an idea of how much gain/compression and without turning it all the way up. While I'm not a metal guy, my band does play some pretty heavy rock tunes.

Any insight?

I have a 50, which I believe is the same preamp. It has a LOT of gain, but it doesn't sound like a heavy rock amp, IMO. At least not on its own. The EQ isn't the super tight, thumpy bottom that a more metal focused amp would have. To put it in context, it would be at home playing a Foo Fighters tune, rather than a Metallica tune, that kind of thing. Also, it will compress differently if you boost the input, vs. just cranking the gain. Boosting gives it a more squishy, pinch harmonic-able tone, cranking the gain is somehow a little more open sounding.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback on this. While this amp is ideal in terms of wattage and features, I was really hoping to get a more aggressive compressed sort of sound, like heavy Foo Fighters tunes (but not Metallica - great band but not my tone), but sounds like I'd need more gear to get that sound. Maybe that's what I'll do in the end, but was hoping to avoid having to use pedals. I wonder if a mod of some sort would do that.

Also if anyone is aware of any other amps that achieve this, I greatly appreciate the suggestions. I did try a Mesa Mark 5:35, great amp, but just not my kind of tone, prefer more of a Marshall type of tone as long as not thin/fizzy, the newer Marshalls, DSL 40 for example have this issue for me. I've tried the Archon and it seems nice, but no boost, and the 25 watt not available in a head :(

Most Marshalls sound thin and fizzy until turned up loud. If you tried a V35 you may have missed out on one that would work. The Crunch channel is exceptional on those amps and can get very M-like with the right EQ. The Archon sounds like what you want. Very few amps in this class have built in boost, so if that's a requirement you're not going to have a lot of choices.

I'm with you on the 25 watt Archon head. Would have bought one 2 years ago. They'll probably release one about 60 days after I buy a 50 watt head. LOL

Yep I really wanted 25 head of Archon as well

I am leaning towards a Rectoverb 25
As it sounds great and is available
I thought about 25 Archon combo

But I don't gel with the t75 and that would be additional expense to change to V30

But I also have this feeling the new tremonti Archon based line will arrive after I buy the Recto

I tried the 25 combo and didn't like the T75 as well. I figured it would kill with a Scumback M

Most Marshalls sound thin and fizzy until turned up loud. If you tried a V35 you may have missed out on one that would work. The Crunch channel is exceptional on those amps and can get very M-like with the right EQ. The Archon sounds like what you want. Very few amps in this class have built in boost, so if that's a requirement you're not going to have a lot of choices.

I'm with you on the 25 watt Archon head. Would have bought one 2 years ago. They'll probably release one about 60 days after I buy a 50 watt head. LOL

Using the Crunch and there's no clean left :(

I've heard one can put a clean boost in the effect loop and get a solo boost that way, but again... more/extra equipment. In the end I'm likely to compromise on something.

Seems like all the nice features are only on high wattage amps which doesn't make sense to me given that lower wattage amps are supposed to be all the rage today.

Seems like all the nice features are only on high wattage amps which doesn't make sense to me given that lower wattage amps are supposed to be all the rage today.

Lots of high wattage amps have switchable power. Lots of high wattage amps have very good master volume controls. And high wattage amps will generally have big iron that makes them sound different from lower power amps.

I'll give an example; in addition to my single channel PRS amps, I have a 100 Watt Mesa Lone Star loaded with features. And had a Mark V before that. I can switch these amps down to 50 or 10 watts, and they still sound pretty darn good. So why wouldn't I want to be able to have 100 watts on tap when I need more headroom? It sounds good at pretty much any wattage, though I prefer 100 Watts, and use the channel master volumes to control overall volume levels in my studio work.

Point is, if I'm spending the $$ on features, the choice of three power levels is certainly a feature I want. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this...

Bells and whistles cost money, and low power amps are traditionally bought by folks who don't want to spend as much. So they generally cut back on features.

The other growth market for low power amps is the traditionalist/purist market, where the features are eschewed in favor of purity and vintage-style simplicity.

I'll bet companies like Mesa, PRS, Fender, Marshall and others know their markets pretty well, and are constantly hearing from their customers as to what they want. PRS in particular loves to get input from its touring pro endorsers, I'm sure the others do as well.

Yep I really wanted 25 head of Archon as well

I am leaning towards a Rectoverb 25
As it sounds great and is available
I thought about 25 Archon combo

But I don't gel with the t75 and that would be additional expense to change to V30

But I also have this feeling the new tremonti Archon based line will arrive after I buy the Recto

If you decide to do the 25w Archon I've got a V30 laying around that came out of my HXDA combo. You show me proof that you bought the Archon, and it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Ok, now I KNOW you're secretly a rich man! LOL

There's "cool" and then there's YOU!

Lots of high wattage amps have switchable power. Lots of high wattage amps have very good master volume controls. And high wattage amps will generally have big iron that makes them sound different from lower power amps.

I'll give an example; in addition to my single channel PRS amps, I have a 100 Watt Mesa Lone Star loaded with features. And had a Mark V before that. I can switch these amps down to 50 or 10 watts, and they still sound pretty darn good. So why wouldn't I want to be able to have 100 watts on tap when I need more headroom? It sounds good at pretty much any wattage, though I prefer 100 Watts, and use the channel master volumes to control overall volume levels in my studio work.

Point is, if I'm spending the $$ on features, the choice of three power levels is certainly a feature I want. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this...

Bells and whistles cost money, and low power amps are traditionally bought by folks who don't want to spend as much. So they generally cut back on features.

The other growth market for low power amps is the traditionalist/purist market, where the features are eschewed in favor of purity and vintage-style simplicity.

I'll bet companies like Mesa, PRS, Fender, Marshall and others know their markets pretty well, and are constantly hearing from their customers as to what they want. PRS in particular loves to get input from its touring pro endorsers, I'm sure the others do as well.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm perfectly willing to spend around a couple grand get what I'm looking for, but I don't need or want to haul a 100 watt amp around. They weight too much, lol. I play small venues - house parties, bar gigs - everything miked, and I never really turn up past 3 on my JVM and even then sound man complains. For me I don't see a relationship between high wattage and features.

I have the Custom 50 combo and I dearly love the boost feature. I use it on a few of the tunes we play. The amp is so versatile it's ridiculous. I play rhythm in our band and use no pedals. With the P22 piezo to PA and mag pups straight to the Custom it covers a ton of ground.
It's all subjective of course, but for me the Custom works for all our rock, heavy rock, blues, etc. Fantastic clean channel and fairly modern crunchy lead channel. Yum!

I have the Custom 50 combo and I dearly love the boost feature. I use it on a few of the tunes we play. The amp is so versatile it's ridiculous. I play rhythm in our band and use no pedals. With the P22 piezo to PA and mag pups straight to the Custom it covers a ton of ground.
It's all subjective of course, but for me the Custom works for all our rock, heavy rock, blues, etc. Fantastic clean channel and fairly modern crunchy lead channel. Yum!

Thanks for this. I just watched this video which demonstrates the 50 has plenty of gain/compression. I wonder if the 50 has more than the 20? Also watched a comparison of the 50 to the archon I think I like the more open sound of the 50, though surprisingly even through a 4x12, some of the clips make the 50 sound a bit nasally. I'm guessing poor miking?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I just watched this video which demonstrates the 50 has plenty of gain/compression. I wonder if the 50 has more than the 20? Also watched a comparison of the 50 to the archon I think I like the more open sound of the 50, though surprisingly even through a 4x12, some of the clips make the 50 sound a bit nasally. I'm guessing poor miking?
That first link is to an Archon vid, not sure if I'm reading wrong.
I was originally thinking of getting the 2 channel custom 20 but found a screaming deal on the 50 and pulled the trigger. I wish there were places to try these amps out up here but sady there are none to be seen. A tube change might help get closer to what you want if it's not "quite" there.

For me I don't see a relationship between high wattage and features.

But you just complained that you can't get the features you want on a low power amp!

Pretty sure that wasn't my imagination. All I did was explain why. Good luck in your hunt for both features and low wattage.

That first link is to an Archon vid, not sure if I'm reading wrong.
I was originally thinking of getting the 2 channel custom 20 but found a screaming deal on the 50 and pulled the trigger. I wish there were places to try these amps out up here but sady there are none to be seen. A tube change might help get closer to what you want if it's not "quite" there.

Opps, you are right. I provided the wrong link, I've correct it. I'm beginning to think that perhaps the 20 does fit the bill. Wish there was one local to try.

If you decide to do the 25w Archon I've got a V30 laying around that came out of my HXDA combo. You show me proof that you bought the Archon, and it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Wow that's so much man
That's super generous of you and I appreciate it
Still not sure on the Archon25 yet though vs TheMesa for what we play

Back