Yeah, I'll spam you with HDRX 20 sounds - this time humbuckers, and Horsemeat!

Just opened - played 10 min.

Using humbuckers. jb in lp and super dist in strat

Im at really quiet levels on the MV but it sounds really fuzzy w the channels up past noon.

TMB all at 1 oclock.

Concerning enough i put the guitars down and popped online.
Turn the bass Gain down some

Im at really quiet levels on the MV but it sounds really fuzzy w the channels up past noon.

TMB all at 1 oclock.

Best settings I’ve found for humbuckers are tone controls about where you have them, mid boost and bright on, channel volumes to taste overall but keeping the treble channel at about 1/2 to 2/3 relative to the bass channel. And the MV really has to be above 2 on the dial, it’s definitely not a “whisper level” amp.

Best tones are getting as much MV as possible and compensate with lower channel volumes.

I finally had a chance to put this cool little 1/2 stack through it's paces yesterday. LOVE the tones! I haven't owned and "M" brand amp in a while (not counting 2 Class5 combos I still have). This amp has the goods. When I really get some time, I'll run through my pedalboard and juice it with the RYRA Klone. It should really cook with that on top.

Best settings I’ve found for humbuckers are tone controls about where you have them, mid boost and bright on, channel volumes to taste overall but keeping the treble channel at about 1/2 to 2/3 relative to the bass channel. And the MV really has to be above 2 on the dial, it’s definitely not a “whisper level” amp.

Best tones are getting as much MV as possible and compensate with lower channel volumes.
Andy, I asked this earlier but didn't get a reply. I hear some fuzz in some of the demos. Are you turning the treble gain down to dial that out? I assumed that too much boost of the bass channel would be the culprit. My assumption was based on carefully looking at the knob settings in some demos. Several made it appear that the bass gain being turned up was what introduced that fuzz. And, not that it's a "bad" thing to have the fuzz. For some tones, I'd want it. But for others, definitely not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, I asked this earlier but didn't get a reply. I hear some fuzz in some of the demos. Are you turning the treble gain down to dial that out? I assumed that too much boost of the bass channel would be the culprit. My assumption was based on carefully looking at the knob settings in some demos. Several made it appear that the bass gain being turned up was what introduced that fuzz. And, not that it's a "bad" thing to have the fuzz. For some tones, I'd want it. But for others, definitely not.

That's because I'm ignoring you!

:p

Nah, of course not!

I just want to clarify, are we talking fuzz, as in low and low-mid fatness and saturation/compression, or fizz as in top end sizzle?

If we're talking fuzz - yes, it's a fat sounding amp. I wouldn't call it full on fuzz with non-extreme settings, but the low end isn't super punchy, it really is like the low end you would hear from Hendrix, big, full, blooming and blowing up the more things are turned up.

Fizz, no, absolutely not unless the master is running under 2, or the treble channel is exaggerated with the bright switch on.

The balance between the treble and bass channels, it's really hard to say how it will be different from one person to the next, because there's so much variability in how they can be set. I like to turn the bright switch on with HB's, which only affects the treble channel, and then blend that with the bass channel for just the right amount of sparkle. The bright switch is pretty powerful, which is why I'm usually running the treble channel lower than the bass. Usually no more than 7 on either channel, and not both set that high simultaneously. But regardless of where they're set, and what the EQ balance is, the lows still have that blooming character.

Maybe a better way to put it would be an example of tones.

On the one end, there's a Plexi tone like this, the masterpiece that is "I Believe in a Thing Called Love." Hear the "kerrang" and percussiveness of the low end (disclaimer, I suspect there's at least a pedal at work there, too)

Another good example would be the guitar tones from "Back in Black," which I won't bother posting because we all know that one.

On the other end, there's this:

Which has less specific focus on the barking midrange, everything is balanced but the low blooms rather than having a sledgehammer attack.

I'm probably not addressing exactly what you're asking, but if you can post some similar examples and point out what you hear, maybe I can help more?

I just want to clarify, are we talking fuzz, as in low and low-mid fatness and saturation/compression, or fizz as in top end sizzle?
That's because I'm ignoring you!
You aren't the first one and probably won't be the last! :p

Andy, definitely not fizz. I have heard two demos that with the amp pushed, they sounded almost like a fuzz face was being used. Others have mentioned it also. So yeah, real "fuzz." Not completely cranked fuzz face, but that wooly fuzz you hear in some older amps. I'll go back and find which demos I heard it in and note the time in the track I noticed it.

That said, it's good that you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about because maybe you aren't experiencing it and that would be a positive in my book. If you've been pretty much through the range of the controls and haven't experienced this, then maybe is just the way it's coming through on a couple youtube videos.

Now, for my next question, I'm going to need you to get a variac... ;)

You aren't the first one and probably won't be the last! :p

Andy, definitely not fizz. I have heard two demos that with the amp pushed, they sounded almost like a fuzz face was being used. Others have mentioned it also. So yeah, real "fuzz." Not completely cranked fuzz face, but that wooly fuzz you hear in some older amps. I'll go back and find which demos I heard it in and note the time in the track I noticed it.

That said, it's good that you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about because maybe you aren't experiencing it and that would be a positive in my book. If you've been pretty much through the range of the controls and haven't experienced this, then maybe is just the way it's coming through on a couple youtube videos.

Now, for my next question, I'm going to need you to get a variac... ;)

If I either run the channel volumes close to their max with the master set low/medium range, or dime the master and don't compensate some by reducing the channel volumes, it can get fuzzy, but my brain has kinda adjusted for that without much conscious thought. In essence, regardless of the master settings, just don't ask it for too much gain (I'm talking super saturated) and it stays clear sounding. It's an easy amp to control, once you get the hang of it.

It might also be noteworthy that I changed out all the tubes. I'm not a fan of the JJ ecc83s, in the way they push an amp, they're just too darn hot and gainy, and they can make an amp sound fuzzy like that, too. I put an all-NOS set in, Mullard short plate 12ax7's in V1 and V2, a GE long plate 12ax7 in the PI, and Tung Sol 5881's. Granted, I don't think one would have to go to that extreme to make an improvement, probably just some better sounding new production 12ax7's would be satisfactory.

TMB all at 1 oclock.

I pretty much expect that a Plexi type amp needs to have some volume to sound good. I haven’t come across one that doesn’t sound thin and fizzy when played quietly. Gotta get the master at least above 2.5 or nothing but thin, weedy tones.

HDRX amps are not bedroom amps in the slightest.

I
JJ are high gain and adds bass I probably will experiment also. Check the bias at all?

I totally agree on the JJ - or I should say, at least the ones that come stock. I really like their grid frame e83cc, great sounding NP tube.

My bias was set at 30, and I haven't changed it (other than biasing back to 30 when I changed the power tubes).

Sounds righteous.

On behalf of all...erm...'vintage folks' (a.k.a 'old f#cks') please allow me to congratulate you on:

1. New amp; and,

2. Learning the vintage style guitar operating procedure; and,

3. I am jealous of your youth and excellent looks. Dammit.

I'll take the win on points one and two, but point three... at least the amps and guitars look good!

My grey bloom has started. My dad's went fast when it happened to him. I'll bet I'm totally grey in another 2-3 years. Then I can start going to Del Boca Vista in the winter!

I'll take the win on points one and two, but point three... at least the amps and guitars look good!

My grey bloom has started. My dad's went fast when it happened to him. I'll bet I'm totally grey in another 2-3 years. Then I can start going to Del Boca Vista in the winter!
There comes a point at which you're happy to have ANY hair. :)

Back