PRS Se Zack Myers Nut Options

csquared

Grabbed a Zack Myers Se that mostly sang out in the store with some upgrades planned. Pickup swap and tuner upgrade are done. Now time to address the issue that seems to be somewhat common on these: A dead Low E string. It just seriously lacks any of the qualities the other strings have. Figure start with the nut, and than look at the bridge if still needs help.

Bone is always a good options for an upgrade. But I've had great results with the GraphTech Tusq XL nuts on a few guitars. I've also read on this site a lot of folks installing a core nut.

What have you done or tried, or what direction would you lean and why?

266191480_4337660939696582_5111086210738260771_n-jpg.576763

Last edited:
Don’t have a Myers SE, but happy with the Graphtech on my Tremonti SE - which I realized after pulling off the stock nut, didn’t really need the upgrade, since it appears that they have started using similar materials as a core nut. It certainly wasn’t the crappy plastic nuts that folks have mentioned on older SE models.

Question about the dead E string…is it only when played open or also when fretted? If the former, blame the nut. If the latter, look elsewhere.

I’ve had that issue on the ZM as well as some other semi hollows, it’s kind of part of the deal. Best thing I would recommend is, if you’re not already, using nickel plated steel strings rather than pure nickel. The wound strings benefit a lot from the brightness of NPS. The PRS Signature strings are also punchier sounding than pure nickel.

In my opinion, the SE nut is quite resonant and very similar to the core, I’ve done the infamous “drop test” and it has a good loud clank to it. Benefits from different nut on an SE, to me, usually has more to do with better cut nut slots and improved tuning stability. That being said, I’d go bone if you can.

Interesting,….. just picked up a 2013 Bernie which has me wondering about 2 possible upgrades, 1 being the nut.
This guitar is mint, As I’m told but the nut does not look like your typical plastic but actually some textured material…..any chance that SE Bernie has something other than plastic for the nut???

thanks

Some of the higher end SE have the composite or better nut material from the factory.

My SE HB II Piezo has a bone nut. SE Paul's has the factory composite nut. I've read the latest ZM has the composite nut from the factory.

Others should weigh in. I ain't an expert but do have factory SE with non plastic nuts. That said, I put the original plastic nut back on my 245 and it sounded better than the PRS composite I installed. All SE nuts are not bad, even the plastics can be ok..in my opinion ;)

Don't get caught up in upgrade thoughts. It can be a slippery slope !

Some of the higher end SE have the composite or better nut material from the factory.

My SE HB II Piezo has a bone nut. SE Paul's has the factory composite nut. I've read the latest ZM has the composite nut from the factory.

Others should weigh in. I ain't an expert but do have factory SE with non plastic nuts. That said, I put the original plastic nut back on my 245 and it sounded better than the PRS composite I installed. All SE nuts are not bad, even the plastics can be ok..in my opinion ;)

Yeah, that "hole" that is upgrades is dangerous,...I've been there before on my other gtrs..thankfully I've had some form of life raft.
The pups are mostly aesthetic reasons but if the tone improves from the SE 245 on here, the better.
I'm always welcoming feedback though...
thanks

Come on you know the core nut upgrade makes sense. Best £10 I spent!

Come on you know the core nut upgrade makes sense. Best £10 I spent!
Sure sure, I agree. It doesnt apply in the case of my SE 245. If a guitar has a great tone and it's modded to make it even better and it doesn't it can be difficult to get it back to where it was orginally.

Joe Bonamassa talks about a fantastic LP; he changed the neck pickup 'cos he thought it would be an improvement, and it was not. He put the original pickup back in and it was not the same. Even breaking the original solder connection made it sound different.

It could be hyperbole, but I do agree with the theory of "if it ain't broke it don't need fixing."

I'm not saying guitars shouldn't be modded, only there is a possible caveat when doing so.

Sure sure, I agree. It doesnt apply in the case of my SE 245. If a guitar has a great tone and it's modded to make it even better and it doesn't it can be difficult to get it back to where it was orginally.

Joe Bonamassa talks about a fantastic LP; he changed the neck pickup 'cos he thought it would be an improvement, and it was not. He put the original pickup back in and it was not the same. Even breaking the original solder connection made it sound different.

It could be hyperbole, but I do agree with the theory of "if it ain't broke it don't need fixing."

I'm not saying guitars shouldn't be modded, only there is a possible caveat when doing so.

That’s why I left the pickups and bridge alone , ok I swapped out the bridge posts. The SE lockers and core nut made a nice difference. Oh and the Amber lampshades made the biggest change to the tone!;)

That’s why I left the pickups and bridge alone , ok I swapped out the bridge posts. The SE lockers and core nut made a nice difference. Oh and the Amber lampshades made the biggest change to the tone!;)

After this long weekend, I got to thinking about the SE Lock-tuners but with the Berne due to a few too many times I had to tune again. It's got Kluson-type and the SE Locking one are not that so they won't be a drop-in issue.
Also, you guys got me thinking about that Core-nut or a replacement bone

After this long weekend, I got to thinking about the SE Lock-tuners but with the Berne due to a few too many times I had to tune again. It's got Kluson-type and the SE Locking one are not that so they won't be a drop-in issue.
Also, you guys got me thinking about that Core-nut or a replacement bone

I believe PRS make vintage lockers now.

Sorry for not knowing, but who or where is "John Mann"....?
should I just GOOGLE-it..?

Crap..just did.."OUT OF STOCK" for nickel SE lockers...
anywhere else or should I wait for these to be available?

But Many thanks for the suggestions...

Look up John Mann's Guitar Vault for parts, then look up John Mann on this site or youtube to see the video that explains the relationship between PRS and John.

You want the core vintage lockers for the ZM.

You want the core vintage lockers for the ZM.
For the ZM, that was someone else, maybe the one who started this thread....didn't mean to highjack toward my needs.

But I am looking for nickel VINTAGE lockers that look like the Kluson tuners 3x3.
another thing I'm finding out is the "ratio" of the various locking tuners out there. Vintage Kluson type, be it PRS or Kluson or Kaish (amazon brand), I can not find anything higher than 1:14 ratio for 3x3 set. I would even settle for 1:18 ratio....no dice yet.

Back