PRS Se Zack Myers Nut Options

Kluson Revolution tuners are 19:1 and are quite nice, I’ve replaced the Vintage style tuners on all my Gibsons with them. However, I can’t vouch for whether they’d work on a ZM.

51807805787_3fe303f985_k.jpg

Last edited:
For the ZM, that was someone else, maybe the one who started this thread....didn't mean to highjack toward my needs.

But I am looking for nickel VINTAGE lockers that look like the Kluson tuners 3x3.
another thing I'm finding out is the "ratio" of the various locking tuners out there. Vintage Kluson type, be it PRS or Kluson or Kaish (amazon brand), I can not find anything higher than 1:14 ratio for 3x3 set. I would even settle for 1:18 ratio....no dice yet.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...ocking-Tuning-Machines---Nickel-x54674389.htm

thanks Sinsir, I did visit this or a similar sit. While these are right there as options, no ratio stated on either Mannmade or the PRS.....

Grabbed a Zack Myers Se that mostly sang out in the store with some upgrades planned. Pickup swap and tuner upgrade are done. Now time to address the issue that seems to be somewhat common on these: A dead Low E string. It just seriously lacks any of the qualities the other strings have. Figure start with the nut, and than look at the bridge if still needs help.

Bone is always a good options for an upgrade. But I've had great results with the GraphTech Tusq XL nuts on a few guitars. I've also read on this site a lot of folks installing a core nut.

What have you done or tried, or what direction would you lean and why?
I assume you tried a new E string? I've found that even after a week or two they'll get very small bends in them where they contact the frets. Especially if you're using an .008 or .009. Even an .010 will do it.

The nut does affect the overall tone of the guitar but fretted notes are not affected that much. In other words, fretted notes shouldn't sound dead even if the nut is poorly cut.

I just ordered some of those brass infused graphite nuts PRS is using.

Going to try them on my SE Singlecut's.

A quality cut nut to me makes a huge difference in comfort. I find most SE nuts need more filing to get lower action and comfort with chording. It really eliminates the fighting. Some are the opposite and overcut, especially the high E, and causes the sitar sound of the string vibrating too much in the slot. I’ve replaced a nut on zach myers of 2022 that had the Core nut but improperly cut like this.

If you have multiple SEs I’d say spring for a pair of nut files and nut depth gauge. It makes filing a breeze. Otherwise pay a luthier to do it and have it done right if you only have one SE. I find the quality of the nut filing the biggest leap in term of playability from SE to USA. Cut right and you can now have some beautiful low action that I find near impossible out of the box without buzzing.

And if you choose to upgrade your PRS nut with a core nut or PRS bone nut…have files ready. Some filing is needed even if they seem like an easy swap. I did a S2 594 nut swap to a pattern bone nut for cosmetics and for the full core setup. Filing that bad boy down was one of the best things I’ve ever done to improve the playability

Last edited:
Back