PRS SE Zach Myers - Trampas Green Subpar finishing

Wow, I would be very upset and return it.
Shame on both ends for letting that slip through.

I own three other SEs that are flawless, and mg son's SE is flawless.
Looks like the ZMs are being rushed and bypassing QC.
I thought all SE guitars were also inspected and setup in Maryland???

Not good to see.

This... sad to see two other new threads on this... Hope it's just a small batch but... Should never have made it to the customer. PRS is better than this.

I am definitely sending mine back. Cracks are just going to get bigger with time and that's too much for me to accept.

I'll go ahead and jump in since the silence has been broken..
I bought my #1 ZM first production run N serial# from GTRMAV on this forum..ZM TRC, absolutely flawless, setup was spot on , intonation perfect. I was so impressed with this guitar I decided to buy a second..

#2 came from Fret12..N serial# as well PRS TRC, The plating on both my bridge studs were chipped off..I complained and was told "this is normal for SE's" I raised hell and supposedly PRS was to replace my posts .. It's been 2 months and nothing. I'm sorry to see this isn't an isolated incident.
The damage to the posts clearly came from careless setup which Fret12 said "PRS sent it to us that way.". I realize I can just go buy a tonepros locking stud but should I HAVE to?

I'll also note that #2 finish was flawless...And the top was even more beautiful than #1. Which is why I didn't send it back immediately.

I really expected more from Mark Tremonti's company and PRS

Last edited:
Bummers.

I assume PRS or the dealer should take care of this once they are notified, but just to be a bro I'll offer to repaint all of your guitars, for free, any color you choose under the condition that PRS doesn't take care of you and I get to keep it when I'm done.

Hopefully all these guitars from this batch or a few batches are taken care of, as it is a royal PITA to have to send something back.
I know, as I do a lot of online ordering, but have not had issues with my guitars yet, plus my dealer is only 12 or so miles from me, and I know he would take care of me if I had an issue like this.

So it is not isolated to just Sweetwater.
And the issue with someone saying the SEs are normal to have flaking studs?
This is BS, even those these are 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Maryland built guitar, SEs should not be coming this way to the customer.

Here are some better pics. On the sides the left side is darker than the top side. Again it kinda looks like glare but it's two distinct colors under the finish.

in the pics of the cutaway, you can see its a maple seam under the veneer. That's not a biggie, but I hope other issues are resolved

I see the blank TRC isn't as uncommon as I apparently thought, and now I'm going to have to take a better look at my ZM when I get home. I don't think I have issues in regards to the mahogany not being the same color like the pictures we've seen in this thread. I do have one section in the cutaway where you can see a seam where two pieces of mahogany meet, and one is darker than the other, but overall it didn't bother me much. With the list of other problems that have been mentioned though, I suppose I need to go double check and make sure everything is legit, as I will openly admit the once over I did in the store was not super thorough by any means.

I'll go ahead and jump in since the silence has been broken..
I bought my #1 ZM first production run N serial# from GTRMAV on this forum..ZM TRC, absolutely flawless, setup was spot on , intonation perfect. I was so impressed with this guitar I decided to buy a second..

#2 came from Fret12..N serial# as well PRS TRC, The plating on both my bridge studs were chipped off..I complained and was told "this is normal for SE's" I raised hell and supposedly PRS was to replace my posts .. It's been 2 months and nothing. I'm sorry to see this isn't an isolated incident.
The damage to the posts clearly came from careless setup which Fret12 said "PRS sent it to us that way.". I realize I can just go buy a tonepros locking stud but should I HAVE to?

I'll also note that #2 finish was flawless...And the top was even more beautiful than #1. Which is why I didn't send it back immediately.

I really expected more from Mark Tremonti's company and PRS

I have never been impressed with Fret 12's customer service. I purchased a Tremonti guitar lesson for $200 and never received any confirmation. I had to contact them for receipts and information. They also over charge on special order Prs's. They quoted a guitar for me at $700 more than music store live: I would never purchase a guitar from them after these issues.

And sergiodeblanc ... You are a stand up guy. I'm sure Sweetwater will take care of me. Hopefully they will let me keep this one until they can fix it however. That would be really nice. :)

And sergiodeblanc ... You are a stand up guy. I'm sure Sweetwater will take care of me. Hopefully they will let me keep this one until they can fix it however. That would be really nice. :)

HA! Thanks Tedder, actually I'm more of a lounging on my side with a fruity drink snake in the grass kinda guy, you didn't read the fine print! :girl:

under the condition that PRS doesn't take care of you and I get to keep it when I'm done.

But seriously, I couldn't think of two companies I'd prefer to buy a defective guitar from... I'm positive you'll be taken care of! Sweetwater and PRS seem to take the best care of their customers, but it'll be a bummer to have to wait for a new shipment.

Yeah, the discoloration on the mahogany looks wonky, like maybe a worker wiped it with a rag with some acetone to get the stain off the sides. I'm sure PRS and World Music are feeling the pressure of demand for these guitars as I haven't seen this much of a frenzy for a new SE...Ever! Not that that's any excuse but I have also never seen a SE with that poor of a finish job either... Something not quite right is going on, maybe there's a new guy at the factory?

I really do love this ZM. IF it were just the wonky color I may have kept it. The cracks in the finish are what sealed the deal for me. I'm just not a patient person and I had to wait a couple of months for this one to show up already. I hope there isn't too much of a wait to get it resolved. In the mean time the universe says to have more patience so what's a guy gonna do? :)

The universe is always tryin' to teach me the same thing... it's so damn smug about it too, which is the worst part.

I'd like to know how these guitars -

1) Left Korea after inspection
2) Left PRS after inspection
3) Left - insert retailer here - after inspection

…and STILL arrived to a customer like this. :iamconfused::dontknow::iamconfused:

I'm sure PRS and the retailers will remedy this and fix the problem. It just really sucks for these guys caught up in this.

How about the possibility of outsourcing to another builder?

Up until now..World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd (Korea) has been know for putting out very high quality guitars rivaling some USA builders.

How about the possibility of outsourcing to another builder?
Lets hope not.

I tried blowing up a picture of mine here at work, but I cannot read it clearly.
Does it say "Built By World Music Instrument" or "Built For World Music Instrument"?

4.jpg

Lets hope not.

I tried blowing up a picture of mine here at work, but I cannot read it clearly.
Does it say "Built By World Music Instrument" or "Built For World Music Instrument"?

/QUOTE]
Just zoomed in on PS and yours says "built by" as it should ;)

Fantastic!
It was really hard to see with Windows 7 picture viewer at work.
Not that I doubted though where it was built.
I guess I got lucky with mine except for a little roughness on the inside of the F hole, but you would have to look very hard to see it.

Back