PRS SE Zach Myers - Trampas Green Subpar finishing

Texquin

I posted this as a part of another post yesterday but feel I need to narrow the topic and get some advice. This is my first PRS and I ordered from Sweetwater. On inspection I noticed a paint flaw on the cutaway, I call it overspray but someone else said it is a stain bleed. Another thing I noticed is that the truss rod cover is different from the others, in the fact that there is no printing on it. I need to know if this is normal PRS SE quality or is this subpar. Sweetwater has an excellent return policy and I may take advantage of that, hoping to get a cleaner guitar.
56a79cc23b324562726198f7deee4bf6.jpg
357ae60ec33d39e2e0e0afa60e1b3e0f.jpg

I noticed on my ZM the F hole is a little rough inside, but not bad.
But part of the natural finish on the inside has a little of the Trampus Green on it, but not much.
Maybe the QC there needs to be looked into?

You mean your ZM did not come with one of these TRCs?

10.jpg

Seriously, I have seen some with ZM on them, PRS like mine came with, and now yours in just plain black.
This is weird.
Maybe one of the PRS guy's here has an answer for why they are coming with three different TRC covers.
Also, what does your serial number start with?
Mine starts with an N which signifies it was built in 2013, not 2014.
2014 would start with an O.

Like others stated in your other thread if it plays great and you bond with it, I would keep it.
I would call Sweetwater on why it has a plain black TRC, and see if they will pay for a local tech to maybe try to fix the finish on the side.
They should replace your TRC for you too.

Thanks for the insight Corey. My serial does start with O, I will contact sweetwater and see what they suggest.

Mine is a 2013, shipped with the ZM TRC and looks absolutely flawless...
It's odd for something like that to get by them in my experience.

Mine came with the ZM TRC, but had dealer install a PRS one because I couldn't stand the ZM.

I spoke with Sweetwater a while ago and they agree I should have it swapped out. I am waiting to hear back to see if I can keep this one until the back ordered next batch comes in.

Mine came in on Friday from Sweetwater and it also has a blank TRC and has some subpar finish work on it. I bet money that they are rushing to keep up with demand and the quality is suffering as a result. I'm not sure if mine has enough issues to return it or not. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet either.

Mine came in on Friday from Sweetwater and it also has a blank TRC and has some subpar finish work on it. I bet money that they are rushing to keep up with demand and the quality is suffering as a result. I'm not sure if mine has enough issues to return it or not. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet either.
Can you post pics of the spots?

My apologies for the photos as I only have a camera phone and getting the glare out while having enough light to get a good focus was an issue. So in the cutaway and on the top side you can see two tones of color and it looks like either a staining issue or a sand through after staining. Also there is a big gap between the nut and the TRC and it can move around a bit as a result. I also have a cracked spot or it looks like an inclusion in the finish on the backside. The fretboard seems OK though. No fret ends stick out from the FB and no rough frets felt while bending the strings. I still have yet to plug in. Trying to finds some time. Lots of things on my list to do today that need to get done before I can play. :)

My apologies for the photos as I only have a camera phone and getting the glare out while having enough light to get a good focus was an issue. So in the cutaway and on the top side you can see two tones of color and it looks like either a staining issue or a sand through after staining. Also there is a big gap between the nut and the TRC and it can move around a bit as a result. I also have a cracked spot or it looks like an inclusion in the finish on the backside. The fretboard seems OK though. No fret ends stick out from the FB and no rough frets felt while bending the strings. I still have yet to plug in. Trying to finds some time. Lots of things on my list to do today that need to get done before I can play. :)

If you are talking about the part closer to the top bring darker, that is not a flaw or finish problem. What you are seeing is the maple cap over the mahogany body-two different woods that finish differently.

Nope. That's not it. :)

It starts on the beveled edge on the neck side and follows the edge around and then expands out to the flat side. It looks like glare but its a color difference. Look at the color of the maple cap. That lighter color started from the edle of the cap goes to the beveled edge and then spills over a little on the bottom side of the cut but the edge of the bevel itself is lighter than even that. So I have 3 different tones of color not including the maple cap.

I'm just wondering how these passed QC. I have another SE singlecut with none of these issues. It's not the end of the world but I did expect more from them. I guess Sweetwaters inspection isn'y very thorough either. lol

Mine is a 2013 also with the ZM truss rod cover. It is flawless in all respects. It came from the first shipment from Sweetwater in Feb. Hope you get this resolved quickly. ENJOY!!!

Here are some better pics. On the sides the left side is darker than the top side. Again it kinda looks like glare but it's two distinct colors under the finish.

Wow, ok...

I think I said in the other thread that I'd personally live with it as long as the guitar sounded and played great. But, looking at these pics there's just too many flaws. It's a dud and should never have made it to the shop, never mind been sold to you.

Shame, I hope your next one is a winner. Sure it will be!

Well i just found several micro cracks in the finish in several locations and one crack that is an inch long. I think I'll be calling Sweetwater soon. :(

Oh Yeah, that one needs to go back, very subpar finish and QC on the guitar. Sweetwater will make it right. Hope they have more in stock to replace it with. ENJOY!!!

Wow, I would be very upset and return it.
Shame on both ends for letting that slip through.

I own three other SEs that are flawless, and mg son's SE is flawless.
Looks like the ZMs are being rushed and bypassing QC.
I thought all SE guitars were also inspected and setup in Maryland???
Not good to see.

I found the same spots Tedder has. I think anyone with the same issue should contact Sweetwater or other dealer, and send the guitar back. Once they get a few back, it should start raising eyebrows at PRS and get to the bottom of the quality drop.
42064ad999071b80bd3c247b870fc829.jpg
5eaeffe913e2778a39e5b3acaaa1f573.jpg

Back