PRS SE Zach Myers 3-Way Switch Issue/Replacement

prs19

I went to play my ZM last night and started out with a tuning as I normally do. I usually tune in the neck position and noticed I was in the bridge position. When I went to switch to the neck position, the switch selector tension went away and upon release the switch would fall back to the bridge position.

I took the cover off the back of the guitar and the switching 'plate' mechanism had detached from the switch lever/threaded portion of the switch. I believe I have the switch as shown on the PRS store here. The switch 'plate' portion of the assembly has two rectangular legs that seem to be an interference fit with the threaded assembly. Does anyone know if this is the case? If not, how is it supposed to be attached? I couldn't see any evidence of a solder or 'weld' at the joints which is why I'm thinking it's an interference fit. I pushed the swtich plate portion back into position and installed it back into the guitar. I doubt it will stay so I ordered another switch from stewmac.

My real question is the soldering that I will need to do on the new switch. Is there a special type of audio grade solder that I should use? I don't consider myself a great soldering person but have done it on several dc electornics hobby projects before. Is there a significant risk of degrading the signal quality any (i.e. should I just take it to a professional repair person?)?

Thanks in advance!

~Josh

There's no solder specifically for audio use as far as I'm aware and I'm just about to retire from the electronics industry having used many a roll of solder during that time. Lead tin 60/40 was the norm although these days you may find a lead/tin alloy hard to come by, it was actually banned in the UK/EU at the same time that split fishing weights and air rifle slugs in lead were banned - people used to put them in their mouths all the time. Also, some solders have corrosive flux which shouldn't be used on electrical stuff. Any lead free 60/40 that contains non-corrosive flux will do what you want, about an inch should do it :p

Back