PRS SE Tremonti Replacement Nut

I'll ask it again. WHY do you want a new nut? Is the stock one binding and causing tuning issues? If so, thats what nutfiles can be used for.
As for any tonal difference...the second you fret a string the nut id out of the equation. Nuts dont make tone. Maybe on the open strings...slightly...but yeah...
It's a popular misconception that all SE PRS guitars need a new nut or that a nut is going to improve your tone. It wont.

Well, one reason is, it's cheaper to buy a $8 nut than it is to take a guitar in to have the slots filed bigger, or pay $13/ea for the slot files you need for a single project. Lets not forget personal preference either, some people just want it, so they do it.

Even a pre slotted nut needs tweaking to get the setup just right. So if you're a diy guy, files makes sense.

I just have my luthier do it. $60 for a new bone nut, which includes setup, vs $45 for just the setup. Bone lasts for ages, so it's well worth it to me for an expert to do it.

I have my guitars worked on by Philtone Music in Baltimore. He used to work at PRS. We pulled the nut out of my first SE. and then dropped it on a counter, followed by the USA PRS nut. The SE nut had no resonance at all. Dead as hell. The USA nut rang like a bell. When we flipped them over, the SE nut was hollow, & the USA nut was solid. You can`t convince me this doesn`t affect the tone. You can`t convince my luthier either. It`s (to me) the cheapest & most effective mod you can make on an SE.

Hello, I know this thread is a bit old, but I own a 2014 Tremonti SE Custom and would like to know which way I can improve tuning stability and reading these threads has been helpful. I tune in drop D or even drop C# so I would like to know which nut can I buy to replace the stock nut. Brand and part number, if anyone has the experience and can tell. Thank you all very much!

I've used both the PRS wide fat and the Graphtech, and been happy with them both. Next up........I bought a bone Axemasters compensated nut to try. Of course this meant another SE to try it in, this time a Singlecut Stoptail.

Thank you! I will give the PRS USA wide fat nut a try.

In your opinion, apart from replacing the nut, do you think changing the stock tuners to locking tuners would help? I am planning to buy Grover 406 c Mini Locking rotomatics, that fits the holes perfectly (other tuners would require new holes).
What's your opinion?

I replaced the nut on my Bernie almost immediately so can’t recall if that led to an improvement in tuning stability. However, once I replaced the tuners with locking tuners, tuning stability went from very good to exceptional. Nowadays, I tune once when I pick up the guitar as the G tends to be a little flat, and then I usually don’t need to tune the guitar again until it goes back into the gig bag.

Back