PRS SE Torero Floyd Rose strange buzzing from high E string

jgood1990

Hey everyone.

So I bought a PRS SE Torero w/ floyd rose about a year ago and have had this weird problem happen a few months after the guitar tech set it up for me. The high E string makes a weird buzzing noise, but I'm pretty sure it's not fret buzz because i've tried raising/lowering the bridge and it still happens no matter where it is. I've cleaned the strings, the fretboard, the nuts etc… in case it was dust or something, but still the same.

Here is a video so that you can hear the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEMBzUUyb0Y

Anyway, I'm not a guitar tech at all, but would really appreciate any help/tips you guys can offer.

Thanks a lot.

Jack

Hmmm not sure actually, should probably try that. Will keep you posted! Thanks for replying

To me, that would be the first variable to eliminate, especially if all was good when the Tech set it up. I have had this problem before when the strings are worn, and more so when they get the little flat spots where they contact the frets. Hopefully that's all it is.

EMG pickups right?I was thinking pickup was set too high but EMGs i think you can set very close to the string.Does it "buzz" the same when you use a clean sound?

Hey swede71, yeah unfortunately it still happens in clean. I've ordered some new strings so hopefully that'll fix the problem. Thanks for the info gball!

Does it buzz when it's not plugged in?

Just for sh*t and giggles, have you tried playing it through a different amp? and/or eliminated any pedals from the chain?

Hey Michael_DK yup still buzzes not plugged in! Have also tried it on various amps and still the same.

While it's buzzing, reach up and touch each tuning key and/or machine. I have had strange sympathetic vibration issues on a couple guitars, and that's what it turned out to be for me. Good luck!

There is a nut on under side of floyd where trem arm screws into. I have had that come loose before. Also lay it on your lap while you strike e string making the vibration. Start touching things to try and stop vibration. Check hex nuts on tuners, check nut clamps, check spring cavity basically touch everything. Good luck

There is a nut on under side of floyd where trem arm screws into. I have had that come loose before. Also lay it on your lap while you strike e string making the vibration. Start touching things to try and stop vibration. Check hex nuts on tuners, check nut clamps, check spring cavity basically touch everything. Good luck

Seconded - check EVERYTHING. Buzzing can come from anywhere - and sound like it comes from anywhere else...

Hey everyone.

So I bought a PRS SE Torero w/ floyd rose about a year ago and have had this weird problem happen a few months after the guitar tech set it up for me. The high E string makes a weird buzzing noise, but I'm pretty sure it's not fret buzz because i've tried raising/lowering the bridge and it still happens no matter where it is. I've cleaned the strings, the fretboard, the nuts etc… in case it was dust or something, but still the same.

Here is a video so that you can hear the sound:

Anyway, I'm not a guitar tech at all, but would really appreciate any help/tips you guys can offer.

Thanks a lot.

Jack
Hi Jack, I just stumbled onto this thread. I had the exact same problem.

It turned out that the high E string wasn't seating in the middle of the bridge saddle. When I tightened the block near the saddle, it would push the string up slightly, causing the string to ride up out of the saddle, and creating the kind of warbling effect that you demoed in your video.

The clue that it's a bridge problem and not a nut or a fret problem is that it does it open as well as on all the different fretted notes, although some seem better than others.

I experimented with raising and lowering the bridge too, before I noticed the string wasn't seating properly in the saddle. It's easy to miss, especially if you're not familiar with Floyds.

The solution is to loosen the string, unclamp the saddle block at the bridge, and the hold the string in the middle of the saddle as you SLOWLY tighten the block back down, ensuring that the string remains in the center of the saddle.

I think this problem is part of the finicky/persnickety nature of the Floyd Rose, and is not specific to the Torero.

Hope this helps somebody!

Back