PRS SE Soapbar II with three P90s.

It was definitely professionally done. Surely by a luthier with good tools. Using the correct parts. Still a mystery to me if it was done in the Paul Reed Smith factory or not. Maybe another will turn up.

Hey guys - having some trouble posting pics of my SE Soapbar P90 - I've never posted pics to a forum before and I've been trying to sign up with imgur.com so I could upload my pics to the cloud and create a URL but that's been a no-go I think because I don't have a Facebook account. Any advice? I mean besides signing up for Facebook which I am never going to do.

Hey guys - having some trouble posting pics of my SE Soapbar P90 - I've never posted pics to a forum before and I've been trying to sign up with imgur.com so I could upload my pics to the cloud and create a URL but that's been a no-go I think because I don't have a Facebook account. Any advice? I mean besides signing up for Facebook which I am never going to do.

Postimage is free and easy to use.

Thanks for the info on posting pics. So, it appears that this guitar has, in fact, been modified. As you can see, the middle pickup is a Seymour Duncan – unlike the other two and the middle pickup cavity has a noticeably different paint job than the outer two and also the middle pickup has a braided wire unlike the other two. So, it’s likely that the selector knob and switch were installed as part of the mod and replaced the original toggle switch. Which is all good as far as I’m concerned – because I was primarily interested in this guitar because it has 3 P90s (and, of course, because it’s a PRS) – modded or not. At any rate, it looks like the mod was done by a pro because the route is clean and the wiring looks clean (to me). And it’s not like they had a crap pickup installed – I like Seymour Duncan pickups – so I’m pleased with the results. Also, I was wrong about the selector switch being “5-way” – it’s actually a 6-way switch – 3 positions for each individual pickup + 3 positions for each pickup pair. The only configuration it doesn’t cover is having all 3 pickups on simultaneously. I especially love the position for the bridge and middle pickups – that one gets some nice spank and quack a la a Strat – which is great because I don’t currently own a Strat. So anyway, I’m pleased as punch with this guitar – but I’ll probably replace the tuners as they’re kind of beat up. One final note for anyone who comes across another guitar like this one in the wild: I realized when I was removing the pickups from their cavities that the heads for the screws that hold each pickup in place were different for the middle pickup. If I had been inspecting more closely when I purchased the guitar – that likely would have been a dead giveaway. Another obvious possible giveaway is the fact that the 6-way selector knob has set screw to tighten it to the shaft – which would probably not be the case if it were factory original. Not that I care if it’s been modded – but it’s nice to know these things before committing to a purchase. No complaints, though - and I would still like to know if PRS produced any triple P90 models in the Soapbar singlecut body style.

PRS-SE-Soapbar-09.jpg

PRS-SE-Soapbar-05.jpg

PRS-SE-Soapbar-37.jpg

PRS-SE-Soapbar-48.jpg

PRS-SE-Soapbar-50.jpg

PRS-SE-Soapbar-52.jpg

PRS-SE-Soapbar-38.jpg

Wonderful guitar! The work looks first rate for sure. Nice smooth route for that middle pickup. You certainly have a wide palette of sounds available to you.

Thanks for the reply Bill and garret. I have not been able to find a picture of another. The middle pickup is definitely the same as the other two. They look like G and B’s as they have that thin clear plastic on the top and are identical to pictures in their online pickup catalog. Here’s another picture. Maybe I will pull the pickups and have a closer look but I set her up over two days and she is playing so perfectly now that I don’t want to mess with it!

vepI3TH.jpg
Old thread, I know.

Look close at the mounting screws and see how they cover the edges of the A & D and G & B polepieces? Makes it hard to adjust the polepiece height. Not a good design.

I replaced those screws in my SE Soapbar with some P90 screws I had leftover from some Duncan Antiquity P90's. Smaller heads that can be countersunk. Had to lightly drill the holes in the covers with a hand held drill bit to create counter sunk holes.

Much better!

The OP’s guitar does seem to have three Korean pickups. All three look identical and have the white leads instead of exposed shielded cable.

Last edited:
Back