PRS SE Soapbar II with three P90s.

Zeke L.

Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2004 PRS SE Soapbar II with three P90s. It appears all original, but I haven't found another like it.

The switch was changed to a FREEWAY six-way, so there are a lot of usable tones available.

Any other SEs like this out there?

Zeke L.

OqbMlPt.jpg

Thanks for the reply Bill and garret. I have not been able to find a picture of another. The middle pickup is definitely the same as the other two. They look like G and B’s as they have that thin clear plastic on the top and are identical to pictures in their online pickup catalog. Here’s another picture. Maybe I will pull the pickups and have a closer look but I set her up over two days and she is playing so perfectly now that I don’t want to mess with it!

vepI3TH.jpg

Thanks for the reply Bill and garret. I have not been able to find a picture of another. The middle pickup is definitely the same as the other two. They look like G and B’s as they have that thin clear plastic on the top and are identical to pictures in their online pickup catalog. Here’s another picture. Maybe I will pull the pickups and have a closer look but I set her up over two days and she is playing so perfectly now that I don’t want to mess with it!

vepI3TH.jpg

Yeah, no reason to mess with it. The G&B P-90s they used in the SE guitars are great pickups. I would bet someone bought one second-hand and had the body routed. It looks super clean and I bet it's a seriously fun guitar.

ZQtP9s2.jpg

She's great. The FREEWAY switch provides for six pickup combinations with a familiar toggle controlling everything. The neck measures 8.7k, the middle and bridge both measure 8.9k. Really sweet, round tones at around 7 on the volume knob, all hell breaks loose when the volume is dimed.

Looks like a killer axe...I love P-90's!!!!!
Me too! :) I find they are sensitive to pick-up and pole-piece height and find myself spending extra time dialing them in. The "edginess" of the tone lets them sit really well in a live mix IMO. I play through a recent Vox AC30S1 (single Top Boost channel with one 12") dialed in clean with a few pedals and they are a wonderful combination. "Dirt" chain is a low gain OD into a compressor. Somewhat noisier than a humbucker for sure but not distractingly so. I like bright guitars as I find I can always roll off treble if necessary but you can't add it if it's not there. Hey, I even put chromes on a Tele! :p

Love those triple soapies! I saw that one on the bay, and almost bid on it. If it had a trem, it would have been done. You got a really neat guitar under any measure! I use a 2 channel amp, and these will give you dirt that will hurt!

I suppose in the interest of science, you should probably loosen the other bars of soap and make sure they all have a similar dish!:rolleyes:
I know there are folks here who swap pickups in their P90 SEs and hope a few will chime regarding what they see inside and maybe share a pic. It's factory quality work for sure. I'll dig around the interwebs and see what pics are floating out there regarding the insides of P90 equipped SEs.

Back