PRS SE CUSTOM 24 - BEST UPGRADES

Satchprs

Hello everybody,

I have a PRS SE custom 24 lefty, it was a gift so it's very sentimental (i like how the neck feels and the playabelity) and recently, i would like to know what are the best pickups that can be installed on the prs, and what kind of upgrades can be done to have the ultimate PRS SE CUSTOM 24?
Ps : I mainly play instrumental (like joe satriani, mateus asato and some blues/pop like john mayer and others...)
I prefere the warmth sound.

Thank you in advance for your answers

Pickups are very much a personal thing, and every set will respond differently to each instrument and the individual player's touch. Getting a Joe Satriani set, for example, won't make you sound like Joe.

Once you start off on that journey, you'll probably end up going through a few different sets of pickups before you land on the one that works best for you. A good place to start would be something pretty well known like a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, and then figure out what you like or don't like about those pickups, and use that to inform your next choice.

Pickups are very much a personal thing, and every set will respond differently to each instrument and the individual player's touch. Getting a Joe Satriani set, for example, won't make you sound like Joe.

Once you start off on that journey, you'll probably end up going through a few different sets of pickups before you land on the one that works best for you. A good place to start would be something pretty well known like a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, and then figure out what you like or don't like about those pickups, and use that to inform your next choice.
One nice thing about Duncan is that they go above and beyond to give you a better idea of what you might expect from any given set of pups from them, with graphs and sound examples.

When i talked about satriani or others, it was more about the style of sound and the type of music i like to play, and not the dexterity. To separate suggestions about per exemple heavy metal pickups. Thanks for the answer.

+1 on the JB/Jazz set I used those for 30 years , and just installed them in my best friends guitar. My other choice would be (like Jimmy Herring does to his PRS') Lollar Imperials .. for PRS pickups .. 57/08's all day long

One nice thing about Duncan is that they go above and beyond to give you a better idea of what you might expect from any given set of pups from them, with graphs and sound examples.
And if you buy directly from them they'll let you exchange them for a different set (within a time period). I've been really happy with their Pearly Gates as a replacement pup for classic rock styles.

And consider a Core bridge for extra sparkle in addition to the trem.

JB/Jazz have sounded great in a Cu24. It's a default pickup set of mine. I preferred the Wolfetone Marshallhead/DrV and DW tomahawks. The 5909 in my core Cu24 have been my favorite so far. But really dig the DW Tomahawks in my seCu24.

Typically my favorite PRS combo is 5708 or 5815LT neck and 5909 or 5708 bridge. But in the Cu24 prefer the 5909 or DW.

ABSOLUTELY ! Our 2040 bridge is designed to be a direct retrofit. I promise you'll love it !

I love it on my SE DGT. I can say, in all honesty, that adding the Mannmade bridge was the singular greatest upgrade I have done to my SEs. Pickups help, and are great if you need to change output, gain, etc., but for FUNDAMENTAL TONE? Change the bridge. Worth EVERY cent!!

I love it on my SE DGT. I can say, in all honesty, that adding the Mannmade bridge was the singular greatest upgrade I have done to my SEs. Pickups help, and are great if you need to change output, gain, etc., but for FUNDAMENTAL TONE? Change the bridge. Worth EVERY cent!!

Pickups maybe in future but for now more looking at bridge and nut, later maybe pups and electrics but we’ll see if my ask for that PS Orianthi for my birthday comes true 😂

ABSOLUTELY ! Our 2040 bridge is designed to be a direct retrofit. I promise you'll love it !

Just pulled the trigger, looking forward to improving the CU24-08, first of a few planned upgrades. In the market for some nice warm sounding pups and need to find someone or learn myself to upgrade the wiring and electrics

Back