PRS SE 7 options

0defects13

Hello everyone. I've been using the search functions to try and glean some information and it appears that the SE line has been said to need some modifications over the course of ownership. The chief complaint areas are the nut and the tuners. I understand the electronics get a bit of riff-raff, but I am not concerned with that, as I'm sure I know what changes I'll make there.

With that said, it appears that many change the nut and tuners out on their SE guitars, and that there's even a tusq that's essentially a direct replacement with only a little bit of final sizing needing done...for 6 string SE guitars. I cannot seem to find a ready made 7 string that is a direct replacement for the PRS SE 7. As far as the tuners, it appears that Grover 406 are a direct replacement, but they only come in 6 string sets as well as I can find too. On top of that, I could put the PRS Phase II or III tuners on it- just redrill/fill as needed, but the problem appears that I'd have to buy a set of 6 and then an individual tuner...seems awfully expensive to put on a cheap guitar.

Any help that you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I've no problem tinkering, modding or changing anything on any of the instruments I own, I'm quite comfortable in a workshop (though I will need to buy new nut slotting files if I cannot find mine).

Thanks in advance

Not sure I can help you on new parts. I will say though, as recently purchasing a SE Clint Lowery, both the nut and tuners on this one seem to be quite good. I've had 3 SE models in the past, the 245 especially needed a new nut. Tuners are decent. I don't think the SE 7 string has a tremolo, right? If not, the need for locking tuners is less important, imo. But if the nut is not cut well, you should be able to go to a decent luthier and have him cut from a blank Tusq what you need. Maybe about $50. IMO, that would be worth it, versus adding 2 sets of tuners, less worth it.

Try it first, both might be fine. You just never know with the SE models.

I appreciate the feedback. I have no problem performing the work myself (I enjoy the work, and cutting a nut isn't beyond my capability (well technically right now, since I can't seem to find my slotting files...it is! haha)

Thanks. I'm going to put it through its paces before I go hacking it up. I really do enjoy locking tuners though. I will say this, I hardly use the trem on any of my custom 24's, but I still love the rock solid stability of the PRS machine. For my uses, it's the perfect guitar.

The 7 string has a stop tail, so you might be able to get away with just taking the guitar in and having the nut slots filed down some. IMO the stock SE tuners are fine. I haven't had tuning problems on any of my SE's after either replacing the nut, or just filing the nut slots.

I haven't replaced the nut on any of my SEs, including my SE-7. I'm sure I would experience the placebo effect at the very least if I replaced it ;) , but I don't feel the need.

The tuners on the SEs are pretty good, IMHO, better than every other brand's "quality but budgeted for entry-level" equipment, and just as good as the tuners on some of the US-made other brands - they just aren't quite as good as the PRS core model locking tuners. Since the SE-7 is stoptail, I don't notice a problem at all.

There are sources on ebay for single tuners if all you can find is a set of 6 from your usual sources, might cost you 1/3 the price of a whole set just for one, but that is better than buying a whole set at full price, I guess.

The SE-7 doesn't need these upgrades, IMHO, but on the other hand, I don't think that you should consider the low initial price of the guitar as a barrier to doing an upgrade - if the guitar "stock" cost twice as much as normal, would you then consider swapping out the tuners worthwhile because the guitar is now "worth" (or worthy of) upgrading? If anything, if a guitar costs far less than the cost of a comparable quality item from a competitor, and with just another 10% or 20% more can be upgraded to super-excellence class, far exceeding that competitor, then it is a bargain.

As i said, IMHO, YMMV.

Yeah, for me, I've never noticed a huge difference with the Core nut vs SE as long as the SE is slotted properly (this will be critical if you plan on using thicker strings than stock). Tuners on the SEs are great! I wouldn't bother upgrading those for a stoptail. I would focus on electronics. I would probably get new pups and the Core pots and switch and call it a day.

Haven't changed anything on my SE-7, other than strings. I've thought about changing the tuners, but only because I prefer string changes with locking tuners. Pickups maybe down the road, but so far I haven't seen a need. Never really thought about upgrading the pots and switch.

Actually, the thing I've probably thought most about upgrading is the quantity...that purple is awesome.

The 24/7 is a very good entry level machine. It's a bit...I don't know the word without being insulting -- utilitarian? But it's solid. I'm getting a second one and changing the pickups, but that's because I'm looking for a very different sound than everyone else. But even the stock pickups are perfectly usable. I have no inclination to change anything else -- nut, bridge, tuners...nuthin'.

The 24/7 is a very good entry level machine. It's a bit...I don't know the word without being insulting -- utilitarian? But it's solid. I'm getting a second one and changing the pickups, but that's because I'm looking for a very different sound than everyone else. But even the stock pickups are perfectly usable. I have no inclination to change anything else -- nut, bridge, tuners...nuthin'.
I didn't take any offense or insult to your comment. I get exactly what you're saying. The way I figure it is that it's going to get me what I like in the "feel" department, that is a build like a custom 24, with a low B.
Yeah, for me, I've never noticed a huge difference with the Core nut vs SE as long as the SE is slotted properly (this will be critical if you plan on using thicker strings than stock). Tuners on the SEs are great! I wouldn't bother upgrading those for a stoptail. I would focus on electronics. I would probably get new pups and the Core pots and switch and call it a day.
The pickups didn't bother me too much at all. I know they are just calling them HFS and VB or whatever, but I think they sounded pretty good to me- for what I'll use it for. I'll do some of the standard riff rock, but I really like chord extensions with that low B.
I haven't replaced the nut on any of my SEs, including my SE-7. I'm sure I would experience the placebo effect at the very least if I replaced it ;) , but I don't feel the need.

The tuners on the SEs are pretty good, IMHO, better than every other brand's "quality but budgeted for entry-level" equipment, and just as good as the tuners on some of the US-made other brands - they just aren't quite as good as the PRS core model locking tuners. Since the SE-7 is stoptail, I don't notice a problem at all.

There are sources on ebay for single tuners if all you can find is a set of 6 from your usual sources, might cost you 1/3 the price of a whole set just for one, but that is better than buying a whole set at full price, I guess.

The SE-7 doesn't need these upgrades, IMHO, but on the other hand, I don't think that you should consider the low initial price of the guitar as a barrier to doing an upgrade - if the guitar "stock" cost twice as much as normal, would you then consider swapping out the tuners worthwhile because the guitar is now "worth" (or worthy of) upgrading? If anything, if a guitar costs far less than the cost of a comparable quality item from a competitor, and with just another 10% or 20% more can be upgraded to super-excellence class, far exceeding that competitor, then it is a bargain.

As i said, IMHO, YMMV.
Thanks for that feedback. I really appreciate anyone with more hands on than I have with that guitar. I only played one in person. I read some reviews that said that the tuners and nut were suspect, but otherwise it was solid. I really enjoyed the one I played (I didn't buy it, scratch and dent at guitar center and they wouldn't adjust price more than 20 off of new (yeah...I about crapped). I found one online with a price I liked, so I picked it up.
I bought and sold an Ibanez UV70P to satisfy my 7 string urges but I unloaded it. I didn't care for it. Then shortly after I bought a Matt Heafy LPC 7 string and it's a nice little guitar, but it doesn't scream out to me. I can't explain it. I'd have no problem gigging with it, practicing, any of that. I just don't "enjoy" it like I do some of my other pieces.

I don't consider the price of the guitar to be bad at all.

The one thing with the tuners that I did consider doing was buying 2 full sets, taking the 7 I needed, and then selling the remaining 5...someone would probably need them lol!

I do want to thank everyone who added their input, I really appreciate it!

Back