Prs s2 vela pot value

Sean P

I’ve been reading some glowing reviews about this guitar and had some questions that the spec sheets and reviews haven’t touched on. Considering the fact that the vela has both a humbucker and a single coil, what pot value do they put in these things? Is it still 500k? I’m wondering if I end pulling the trigger on one of these what other modifications I may have to do if I opt to put a more aggressive sounding pickup in the bridge.

do it.... just install your pup of choice, the rest of the electronics are fine...

GpVLfrt.jpg

I second the motion. Install whatever the hell you want and enjoy.

velaplateback.jpg

velaantiquity.jpg

BTW, if you need more glowing reviews, just ask. I figure, people are sick of me going on and on about the Vela.

Oh, and while my pics show me installing a Duncan Antiquity humbucker in it, the stock Vela bridge pickup - the Starla bridge - is fantastic on its own and probably unlike anything else you have. I needed the Vela to be like another one of my guitars for a while but recently reloaded the Starla. It takes gain and grit beautifully and gracefully. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
I second the motion. Install whatever the hell you want and enjoy.

velaplateback.jpg

velaantiquity.jpg

BTW, if you need more glowing reviews, just ask. I figure, people are sick of me going on and on about the Vela.

Oh, and while my pics show me installing a Duncan Antiquity humbucker in it, the stock Vela bridge pickup - the Starla bridge - is fantastic on its own and probably unlike anything else you have. I needed the Vela to be like another one of my guitars for a while but recently reloaded the Starla. It takes gain and grit beautifully and gracefully. Highly recommended!

looks dope! If I went something higher output, do you think it would be a jarring jump in volume in other positions?

Naw, the D-Type pup has it goin’ on! That is one of my favorite neck pickups now, seriously.
How’s the hum though? That’s the only part of having single coils that drives me nuts. I don’t want to be limited to the bridge pickup when I apply copious amounts of gain. Do you run a noise gate with yours? If so does it kill a lot of your sustain?

How’s the hum though? That’s the only part of having single coils that drives me nuts. I don’t want to be limited to the bridge pickup when I apply copious amounts of gain. Do you run a noise gate with yours? If so does it kill a lot of your sustain?
Typically, I don’t have a problem with 60Hz noise. The D-Type is no exception.

I’ll add, regarding noise gates, the only time that was necessary with my rig mix was when using Diezel profiles in the Kemper. The noise gate they employ is fantastic and tremendously flexible, allowing me to clamp off with control, though using a compressor at the same time yielded the best results. Anyone that knows my style will recognize the extreme departure from my comfortable norm because I vastly prefer control with my guitar’s volume and my picking dynamics. Losing it is disconcerting but sounds pretty sweet when you’ve just got to cop some Tool vibe!

Typically, I don’t have a problem with 60Hz noise. The D-Type is no exception.
Fair enough. It’s a bit of a tough call for me. The vela is the only hardtail left on the s2 line, and i love the aesthetic and the plate style bridge seems pretty sweet. Those are the 2 biggest reasons I am considering this. I’d rather go this route than trying to hardtail a standard 22 (though I’ve considered getting one and maybe put a Floyd Rose rail tail on it). Which ever way I decide to go, I’ll have to do some modification to get it to where I’d like it. I’m willing to try out the single coil for a little bit. If I can’t get past the hum, than I may consider dropping in a mini humbucker. One last question: I have seen some photos of the control route under the pick guard and it looked as though it were already routed underneath to fit a full-size humbucker. If I decided to go with a full-size humbucker, would I just have to route the pick guard, or was my eyes deceiving me?

Fair enough. It’s a bit of a tough call for me. The vela is the only hardtail left on the s2 line, and i love the aesthetic and the plate style bridge seems pretty sweet. Those are the 2 biggest reasons I am considering this. I’d rather go this route than trying to hardtail a standard 22 (though I’ve considered getting one and maybe put a Floyd Rose rail tail on it). Which ever way I decide to go, I’ll have to do some modification to get it to where I’d like it. I’m willing to try out the single coil for a little bit. If I can’t get past the hum, than I may consider dropping in a mini humbucker. One last question: I have seen some photos of the control route under the pick guard and it looked as though it were already routed underneath to fit a full-size humbucker. If I decided to go with a full-size humbucker, would I just have to route the pick guard, or was my eyes deceiving me?
Your eyes don’t deceive you, the neck route is for a full humbucker. I’d get a replacement pickguard and hack-away!

A quick thread bump here...
I'm just about to get some better pots and switch (because I'm a serial tinkerer) and I just wanted to check if the stock ones are imperial or metric? Or a mix of the two, with the push/pull?

A quick thread bump here...
I'm just about to get some better pots and switch (because I'm a serial tinkerer) and I just wanted to check if the stock ones are imperial or metric? Or a mix of the two, with the push/pull?
Metric.

Before you change up your vela, live with it for a month. I think you’ll be really happy with the sounds.

Back