PRS Revalation

IKnowALittle

Hey All;

It's your village idiot checking in.
By some quirk of scheduling our band wasn't playing tonite.
So, as is my wont, I went out to see a couple of bands.
If I had a couple extra beers, I don't know anything about it :).

The band I saw, wasn't really my "cup of tea", however, they were really, really good.

A little background. I've been playin' in bands and hangin' around with guitarists and musicians for 30 years.
Never in that time have I seen anyone in a "workin' band", play PRS.
Well tonite was different. When I went into the pub I immediately saw that he was playin' a PRS.
Amongst all the stuff that I wasn't real keen on, they played "you shook me".

The guitar, thru the whole set sounded great, but when I walked up to see what it was, I was flummoxed and flabbergasted.
Man, it was an SE. Don't know what model, looked like a CU24 to me.
Regardless, sounded and looked fabulous, I was really shocked
<fist bump> to PRS.

Last edited:
A saw a couple of local bands recently. Each had a non-core PRS playing guitarist. Excellent tone from the respective players.

At that price point they're the perfect workhorse, and that's odd to me (not seeing PRS in working' hands) I don't go out as much as I used to and I've seen them several times.

At that price point they're the perfect workhorse, and that's odd to me (not seeing PRS in working' hands) I don't go out as much as I used to and I've seen them several times.

Man, that's cool. But they are as rare as "hen's teeth" around here.
Except for me.
Again, I don't know whether he had the pickups replaced or not, but sounded incredibly good. And even though I really didn't enjoy their music, he could play, and really well.
And looked marvelous, the guitar, that is.
"Plays great, looks great".

Guitars are tools. Tone is in the hands....

How many people can pick up a signature guitar and sound just like that artist?

It's not the cost of a guitar or the name on the headstock that matters, it's finding the tool(s) that work for YOU....

And yes, SE's can be great 'tools'. I've seen a number of top pros using them in recent years.

Mine continues to be one of my faves. I used to think I would give it to one of my daughters if there was interest, but now I think I'll just buy her a different one.

The guitar, thru the whole set sounded great, but when I walked up to see what it was, I was flummoxed and flabbergasted.
Man, it was an SE. Don't know what model, looked like a CU24 to me.
Regardless, sounded and looked fabulous, I was really shocked
<fist bump> to PRS.
Glad to see you are receptive to the SE line -They are a great value

I'm not sure where you are located, but since I was in LA last weekend, I know it wasn't me. :D Being relegated to playing Shook Me when set #4 is running thin, and the girls are still wanting more dance music, is not that uncommon. And since I've played it on a couple SEs before, it certainly made me stop and read the whole post!

I'm not sure where you are located, but since I was in LA last weekend, I know it wasn't me. :D Being relegated to playing Shook Me when set #4 is running thin, and the girls are still wanting more dance music, is not that uncommon. And since I've played it on a couple SEs before, it certainly made me stop and read the whole post!

hi;
I'm up in Canader ... eh!!!.
Getting real tired of wearing the muckaluks and chasing away the polar bears everyday.o_O
I relate to your tale of shattered dreams and forsaken ambitions. Fortunately, for me, I was just an observer, but I've been there.
As I mentioned in my post, I've never played a SE ... wasn't expecting it to sound so awesome.

I stumbled across a band called Madison Rising and noticed their guitar player with what looked like a Mark Holcomb model. During a break I went up to him and asked him if that is what it was. Sure enough, an actual limited edition core model. He even thanked me for noticing. hahaha

PRS is really popular in Hawaii. I don't know if it is the cache, or just the performance. Even in a pickup jam at a local downtown joint a while back, I had my McCarty, there was a Korina Single cut SE, and a great player that I had never met playing what appeared to be a core 245 singlecut, all on stage at once. Dan's guitars here in Honolulu is the only authorized dealer of PRS and he has less than a dozen on hand at most times.

Here, you aren't looked at askance due to having a high end guitar and those that can, get a PRS.

Would thoroughly agree...Each level of PRS has their strengths...SE/S2/Core/Sig/PS...and each offers a great "bag-for-the-buck"!!!!!

Guitars are tools. Tone is in the hands....

How many people can pick up a signature guitar and sound just like that artist?

It's not the cost of a guitar or the name on the headstock that matters, it's finding the tool(s) that work for YOU....

And yes, SE's can be great 'tools'. I've seen a number of top pros using them in recent years.

I couldn't agree with you more. Over the years Clapton has played Gibsons (LPs, ES-335s), Fender Strats and lord knows what else, through more amps you can think of, and yet he always captures that signature tone. I'm nowhere near Clapton, but I've been playing so long that I always can dial in "my" sound with the twist of a knob or two on the amp, regardless of the guitar or amp I'm using. I am a firm believer that majority of a guitarist's signature tone or sound does, in fact, come from their hands and fingers. It certainly seems to hold true for me.

I have very VERY strong beliefs on this.... which don't seem to match what many think, so I'll not share them here. LOL.

I have two SEs. One Akesson and a Holcomb (I don't even care for sigs, but they had everything I was looking for in a guitar). Amazing guitars. The Holcomb with that matte neck is like finger cheesecake... yisus...

Back