PRS Production Color Lineup

mitchewr

So I've finally decided to just get the guitar I really want, and sell all of the ones I've settled on. This means I will be buying a USA Custom 24! My only problem is the color choice. All of the colors I've managed to fall in love with aren't in the production lineup this year or are a 'test color' that have gone out to some dealers. Also, I'm very picky about the wood grain (for $3k I feel I have a right to be lol) and so won't buy one site unseen...to this point, I LOVE Sweetwater for their amazing photos as they show the true color, but I digress.

The whole point here is, does anyone know how often PRS will change their current production color lineup? Is it strictly once a year? Is it quarterly? Semi-annually, etc? I am wondering if I should just wait it out for their production choices to change or if I should just pick one from their current lineup. I don't want to do the custom shop route because while I will be laying down $3k on a guitar (the most I've ever spent) I'm not made of money and can't afford to custom order one lol.

**If only that lotto ticket had paid off hahaha...so close and yet so far**

Anyways, does anyone know how often their color choices change?

Thanks! :p

Does it have to be a NEW Custom 24?

I'm only asking, since the CU24 is their flagship model....and 99% of PRS owners baby their guitars....

You're likely to find your perfect CU24 by searching the net. Likely...the color you want is already out there.....

What collar are you thinking of??? Just curious....

Tony

Does that mean I can finally call myself a 1%-er without being a liar?

It certainly does. :top:

OP, they generally change the color lineup with a new model year. Some colors are classics, and stay on the chart a long time. Some change each year.

Artist Package models offer more choices, at a substantial upcharge, but you get lots of stuff upgraded. Private Stock is essentially PRS' Custom Shop, and the guitars are incredible, but much higher priced.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
You say you don't want to go custom shop, which is what PRS calls the Private Stock system. There is an intermediate option: the Artist Package. For a bit more (depending on options), you get double the selection in colors. You can get a feel for the price differential from the 2015 MAP pricing sheets in the Catalog:

http://www.prsguitars.com/products/prs_2015_catalog.pdf

I'll handwave MAP prices, because they are available in that catalog. Please don't let this stray in to discussions of actual retail prices - that is forbidden here: but for about $800 you can upgrade to the AP from the price of a 10-top.

Compare the colors listed here, about 34, for the AP:

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24/specs.php#artistpackage

vs the "standard issue" colors for 2015 here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24/colors.php

Is your desired color in the AP selection chart?

You may find Artist Package configurations at authorized dealers because they negotiate with PRS on a run, and you can of course then negotiate pricing with the dealer, from that point. Scour the Authorized PRS Dealers Forum, and visit the sites of the various dealers:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?64-Authorized-PRS-Dealers

Those dealers will very often have great pictures of the particular guitars they have in stock, just like Sweetwater does for "production" models.

I'm still wondering what colors are you looking at?

Also, one option might be to find a good used one that you like the grain on and have it sent to the PTC for a refin...

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like the colors may change once a year.

Well I really like the aquabluex but I plan on saving that for my single cut 245 later down the road. So that leaves me with some different color because I want the variety. I've owned a black cherry and don't really feel like going there again. I'm thinking Orange Tiger or Obsidian as I will not buy one without it having a natural finished back (I hate painted wood) and so things like the charcoal burst and others are out of the running.

The problem is that neither of the two colors I like the best are production colors lol. I may just need to wait for my dealer to get one in that I like. I kinda want to go the new route as it will be my first USA PRS...plus I want the 59/09 pickups without having to fiddle with doing a swap.

I think you can still custom order colors for around 200 to 300 bucks extra. Just talk to your guitar dealer

I thought I was a 1%er because I have red hair and blue eyes. I guess I'm also a 1%er in the PRS/baby category as well. Let's celebrate by smoking cigars made from $1000 bills.

I think that makes you a 2%er, like the milk.

Back