PRS... PLEASE SAY HE IS A NEW SIGNATURE ARTIST!!!

The price of a guitar (watch, car, hamburger, ... ) isn't the driving force if you know what you are looking for. It's a factor, but there are more important goals to consider in almost every case.

One of the things I like best about the "this similar but different thing only costs half as much" argument is its sheer, baldface meaninglessness and easy dismissal.
Ok. So in a thread where many have lamented the apparent lack of "Strat guys" who opt for their fave PRS, I've floated a few possible reasons why this occurs. And the response is.... Defensiveness?!!

i never talked down to dr doom or schefman or yourself. I simply compared my own experience as a lifelong cheapskate to the problem being discussed, and tried to toss a bit of humor into the discussion. But since the response is serious, I'll talk about watches. Have you noticed that you don't even need them anymore, now that your iPhone and toaster and coffee machine can get atomic time?? But I guess that spending $50,000.00 on a Breitling watch is perfectly justified if it's what you want, never mind that you're struggling to make the next mortgage payment

:)

i now now own a fine flame maple top 408, and am getting bitten by the PRS acquisition bug. Yes, I'm starting to scout out what I want next, and it ain't an SE. So I'm in no position to talk down to any of you. I just think my experience might be relevant to the question at hand. Please don't take it as some sort of insult. That said, as an owner of a handful of 'real' Stratocasters I'll put my Squier up against any of them. Fit, finish, sound, feel...

Some nice close ups of that guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh I am going to the show at MSG tomorrow, and in Worcester on Tuesday. So excited.

Hmmm...

Like a lot of things.

Average cheap car repair may be quarters on the dollar compared to a 'Benz, but it happens 10 times more often.

And even if it doesn't, it's still more fun to patrol the part of the Earth that you live in while riding in your Benz.

Ok. So in a thread where many have lamented the apparent lack of "Strat guys" who opt for their fave PRS, I've floated a few possible reasons why this occurs. And the response is.... Defensiveness?!!

i never talked down to dr doom or schefman or yourself.

True enough!

Nor did I talk down to you. I thought that my response was very measured and friendly, because I tried to make it that way. Merely pointing out where I disagree with your comparison, and why, was all that was said. In fact, if you re-read my first post, you'll see that quite clearly.

I hope. Friendly banter, nothing more.

but can turn right around and finger-pick with the best (example - Stop This Train).[/QUOTE said:
Uh ... no.
Listened to the song. It's a nice song, some cool chord changes and he plays and sings it very well.
Obviously, he reaches people and has commercial success, more power to him.

However, the fingerpicking is elementary. Sounds good, but just real simple "pattern picking".
I enjoyed the song.

Last edited:

i never talked down to dr doom or schefman or yourself. I simply compared my own experience as a lifelong cheapskate to the problem being discussed, and tried to toss a bit of humor into the discussion. But since the response is serious, I'll talk about watches. Have you noticed that you don't even need them anymore, now that your iPhone and toaster and coffee machine can get atomic time?? But I guess that spending $50,000.00 on a Breitling watch is perfectly justified if it's what you want, never mind that you're struggling to make the next mortgage payment

:)

i now now own a fine flame maple top 408, and am getting bitten by the PRS acquisition bug. Yes, I'm starting to scout out what I want next, and it ain't an SE. So I'm in no position to talk down to any of you. I just think my experience might be relevant to the question at hand. Please don't take it as some sort of insult. That said, as an owner of a handful of 'real' Stratocasters I'll put my Squier up against any of them. Fit, finish, sound, feel...

I wasn't talking down to you. I simply disagree with both your premise and conclusion. I have no bone to pick with you as a person.

I have seen that money argument bandied so many times, and not just here. It points to the condition where people confuse 'price' and 'value' when the two are related but very, very different things.

I'll clarify a bit. I said price is a factor in deciding what to buy, but almost always takes a back seat to wants and needs. I in no way advocated that someone spend their mortgage money on an expensive guitar (watch, car hamburger, ... ) that they can't afford and probably don't need. Quite the opposite. That particular hyperbole of yours comes from I know not where, but I won't let you assign it to me.

I mentioned watches in my example only as a nod to John Mayer, the subject of this thread, because of his dedication to his own watch collection. And, I seriously doubt he is having trouble paying his mortgage due to that indulgence.

I also have no ax to grind against Strats, Gibson, Shur, or any other guitar brand. I look at them all and simply end up coming back to PRS for various reasons. My first electric was a MIM Strat. I still have it. I'm not selling it. I haven't played it since 1995.

As far as I can see, no one is attacking you personally or even talking down to you.

We have opinions too.

Last edited:
He's getting some great tones out of that uber-switch swathed Smitty!

So... I'm thinking the 3 toggles are Pre-amps? Or maybe the 3 are the taps and the 2 toggles are pre's. 408 in the middle?

Man, he's got some talent.

So... I'm thinking the 3 toggles are Pre-amps? Or maybe the 3 are the taps and the 2 toggles are pre's. 408 in the middle?

3 coil splits, the other 2 turn on a preamp and a gain boost, 3rd knob gain level.

Despite the watch collection, I have acquired a significant respect for his musical abilities.

He's a great brand ambassador right now. watching the American Express streaming show, lots of PRS amps are front and center. Does it matter if he gets a signature model?

Uh ... no.
Listened to the song. It's a nice song, some cool chord changes and he plays and sings it very well.
Obviously, he reaches people and has commercial success, more power to him.

However, the fingerpicking is elementary. Sounds good, but just real simple "pattern picking".
I enjoyed the song.

For those of you who are interested in seeing just how John Mayer finger picks this particular song, here is a link to a good lesson. the pattern may be simple, but the percussion part and the chords are not that easy, at least for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE53mKhUfmE

For those of you who are interested in seeing just how John Mayer finger picks this particular song, here is a link to a good lesson. the pattern may be simple, but the percussion part and the chords are not that easy, at least for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE53mKhUfmE

No intent to offend. This type of fingerstyle is very common and he does it very well.
To learn how to do it takes practice, patience and commitment, just like most things.
This is a more complete tutorial on the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OuDCXeDkiE

Take a listen to this for an example of more advanced fingerstyle guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbTt0vqk-k

Cheers!

A717A7F4-17AA-449F-BB4F-91D3633736D9_zpslc2fl11d.jpg

Geez... those sure are some sweet looking amps :wink:

No intent to offend. This type of fingerstyle is very common and he does it very well.
To learn how to do it takes practice, patience and commitment, just like most things.
This is a more complete tutorial on the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OuDCXeDkiE

Take a listen to this for an example of more advanced fingerstyle guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbTt0vqk-k

Cheers!

No offense ever taken. My only point was that he is a very versatile guitarist, singer, arranger & songwriter. PRS could use him as endorser for both electric and acoustic guitars.
Thanks for the Doyle Dikes video and the more detailed video lesson on Stop This Train. As for me, three years ago I could only play with a pick in my hands (which I have done for many years). Today I have pretty much mastered basic finger picking patterns, but I still have trouble putting that percussive element into a song like Stop This Train. I will keep working on it and hopefully you can teach an old dog (mediocre guitar player) like me new tricks.

No offense ever taken. My only point was that he is a very versatile guitarist, singer, arranger & songwriter. PRS could use him as endorser for both electric and acoustic guitars.
Thanks for the Doyle Dikes video and the more detailed video lesson on Stop This Train. As for me, three years ago I could only play with a pick in my hands (which I have done for many years). Today I have pretty much mastered basic finger picking patterns, but I still have trouble putting that percussive element into a song like Stop This Train. I will keep working on it and hopefully you can teach an old dog (mediocre guitar player) like me new tricks.

Cool.
Adding some fingerstyle elements to your repertoire is pretty rewarding and a good way to create interest.
There are many famous songs in all genres that utilize fingerpicking very effectively and extensively, including the most famous and arguably the "greatest" rock song of them all ... "Stairway To Heaven".
I remember reading an interview with Page and he mentioned that he listened to and was influenced by Bert Jansch.

I was at MSG Saturday night and Mayer killed it. He really does some fantastic work with Jerry's stuff in mind. Seeing them again in Worcester tomorrow.

Back