PRS Pickups without logo?

israelazo

Hi

Today I received a used PRS SE 24. The seller described the pickups as "PRS Upgraded Pickups", but after checking them, I don't see any logo. I'm not an expert but when I search on internet they all have a PRS logo in the middle.

Can you tell me if these are PRS original? maybe a lower/older model or something.

Thanks!

UGV59M5.png

UhuABad.png

Several years ago PRS reissued their 1st pickup that they put in all their guitars in the 1980s. They're known as T and B pickups because the bridge/Treble pickup has a T stamped in it, and the neck/Bass pickup has a B stamped. I don't know if the reissues featured those same stampings? Someone here has got to have seen a set. If that's what they are, then they've also had nickel covers added.

Several years ago PRS reissued their 1st pickup that they put in all their guitars in the 1980s. They're known as T and B pickups because the bridge/Treble pickup has a T stamped in it, and the neck/Bass pickup has a B stamped. I don't know if the reissues featured those same stampings? Someone here has got to have seen a set. If that's what they are, then they've also had nickel covers added.

Yeah that was my first guess, T & B reissues with added covers, but the details don't add up.

I'm pretty positive they're not PRS pickups because I've never seen them use base plates with 12 holes.

Thanks guys. I talked to the seller and he said they are just some generic "good" PAF 57 pickups :(

I've never seen them use base plates with 12 holes.
Nice, I don't think I ever noticed that, but you're right. That just rang another distant memory bell way back in the old and injured brain I schlep around in my head. Weren't the original Santana SE pickups labeled T and B? Like, 1st gen, 2001-02? I owned one briefly and noticed the pickups didn't have the typical G&B pickup logos. My small collection of SE pickups all have 12 holes and brass baseplates. Also, the original Santana pickups had chrome covers, and the pickups above look to have chrome.

Thanks guys. I talked to the seller and he said they are just some generic "good" PAF 57 pickups :(
I'm sorry, it sounds like that's a disappointment for you. I hope you didn't pay a premium for those pickups.
Well, do you like them? If not, luckily, there are literally thousands of humbucker variants available in the world.

I'm sorry, it sounds like that's a disappointment for you. I hope you didn't pay a premium for those pickups.
Well, do you like them? If not, luckily, there are literally thousands of humbucker variants available in the world.
Thank you. I don't have a big Amp at home since i'm a living room player and they don't sound bad or add any hum. I'll use a tester to see if they are any good anyways.

Nice, I don't think I ever noticed that, but you're right. That just rang another distant memory bell way back in the old and injured brain I schlep around in my head. Weren't the original Santana SE pickups labeled T and B? Like, 1st gen, 2001-02? I owned one briefly and noticed the pickups didn't have the typical G&B pickup logos. My small collection of SE pickups all have 12 holes and brass baseplates. Also, the original Santana pickups had chrome covers, and the pickups above look to have chrome.

You're on to something there! That's the first gen Santana SE I sold to you way back. And I found a pic of the back of the pickups...

DCNH1kT.jpg

So yeah, they could be early SE pickups, which are decent, but I sure wouldn't call them an upgrade.

FWIW, I still have pickups out of the SE Singlecut I had (a 2007, I think) and they have the brass, 12-hole baseplates, but with the G&B logo engraved.

Sweet! I did not remember I bought it from you. I was curious if I would like a 1st gen with trem better than my 2nd gen with a stoptail. Anyway, rather than resell it, I gifted it to our drummer so I still see it at his place from time to time.

Sweet! I did not remember I bought it from you. I was curious if I would like a 1st gen with trem better than my 2nd gen with a stoptail. Anyway, rather than resell it, I gifted it to our drummer so I still see it at his place from time to time.

And I had bought it to see if I would like it better than my Soapbar II. And that thing had lived a life before I picked it up. Poor little orphan, lol. Glad it found a good home.

I have a set of T and B reissues. They are stickered not stamped.

So, the mystery continues.

Yep, they were labeled "1985 Treble" and "1985 Bass", with the usual PRS-stamped, 6-hole brass base plates.

The pickups in the OP's guitar are most likely some inexpensive generic Asian made pickups. That doesn't mean they can't be good, but it does seem like the guitar was misrepresented in the for-sale ad.

Back