PRS Pick ups- 59/09?

Zarb

I currently own a stock CE24 that I run clean through a vox ac 30 and dirty through a 6505 mini head. I love the sound but am researching making a private stock. Looking to set it up like a McCarty but having trouble deciding on pick ups. If doing a private stock I feel like it has to do everything. I also like playing everything from hendrix, to social distortion to breaking benjamin. Looking to get advice on PRS pick ups for this and wondering if anyone has used the 59/09 specifically for dropped tuning and more gain. Any advice would be appreciated

5909s are some of my favorite pickups. I have tried them in D and lower. I didn't think they had enough output. .I suppose you could use an OD pedal along with it but I would think it would just add more noise.

I love 5909s in standard and half step down.

M pickups would be my choice for D or lower however they didn't do much for me in standard or half step.

I put 8515s in my McCarty and I absolutely love the neck pickup but not the bridge. It feels too weak against neck pickup

I have a 5909 in drop C and it works well. Depends on how much work you let the amp do. 6505 has a ton of gain so it should be fine.

That said, I put a 5708 neck, \m/ bridge in my PS and it works great. I don’t play clean on my bridge pickup much, if you do you may have to work the volume knob to keep it clean through the ac 15.

Does anyone know what the /M/ pickup resistance is? And the magnet? Bridge & neck?
You folks were great with posting those specs for most of the older models like the Dragon 1 & 2’s, 245’s, 250’s ect

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the /M/ pickup resistance is? And the magnet? Bridge & neck?
You folks were great with posting those specs for most of the older models like the Dragon 1 & 2’s, 245’s, 250’s ect

I'm of the mentality that if you're going to go high gain with the amp, you can go to a slightly lower output pickup to preserve some articulation and dynamics and vice versa. I've not much experience with 59/09 pickups, but I can say that the 85/15 TCI in my 35th Anni Cu 24 Core do really well in drop C# and C# standard. For what it's worth, I run into a Helix using either the Rockerverb model or BE100 model for high gain and I typically place a model of an 808 Tube Screamer in front of the amp model for a little extra lead push. It works well and covers a lot of territory from classic rock right on up to modern metal. Thus, my top recommendation is for the 85/15 TCI. Right behind it, if you do elect to go the high output pickup route would be a \m/ in the bridge and a 57/08 in the neck. That's a nicely balanced setup that will let you do just about anything.

I have a 5909 in drop C and it works well. Depends on how much work you let the amp do. 6505 has a ton of gain so it should be fine.

That said, I put a 5708 neck, \m/ bridge in my PS and it works great. I don’t play clean on my bridge pickup much, if you do you may have to work the volume knob to keep it clean through the ac 15.
Does the metal pick up still have the clarity on the high strings when picking through the cord?

I have the Metal pickups in a drop C# McCarty. Works great for high gain. But I much prefer alnico pickups (and lower output) for clean and low gain. Like the 58/15LT in my 594 or the 53/10 I have in a Johnny Hiland/CE-24.

I have a CE-22 with a VB/HFS set in it that I’m curious to swap out for the 59/09.

I have the Metal pickups in a drop C# McCarty. Works great for high gain. But I much prefer alnico pickups (and lower output) for clean and low gain. Like the 58/15LT in my 594 or the 53/10 I have in a Johnny Hiland/CE-24.

I have a CE-22 with a VB/HFS set in it that I’m curious to swap out for the 59/09.
seems to be a lot of love for the metal pick up. I play a lot of punk rock and I'm wondering if turning the pick up volume down a little i could get a good punk/acdc tone then turn up for lead, Thanks for your response

I’ve been through most of the 5x/xx pickups on my P22 and settled on 59/09, but I stay mainly in the realm of classic crunch to drop D hard rock. Wouldn’t hesitate to go /M\ on a higher gain or lower tuning setup.

Hi fellows, I have used so many core PRS and have sold too thta today I have now a 2018 Starla VR with a Floyd in egyptian gold and a 1996 Black pearl fixed bridge CE with a pair metal Pickups.

Back