PRS Paul's Guitar SE nut replacement question.

Bryce Dukes

I have recently purchased the aforementioned guitar and I absolutely love it. I have noticed a few issues with it holding tuning and have decided to replace the nut with a Tusq XL and upgrade the tuners to locking. My tech reached out to me and asked if I was sure about the nut replacement as he suggested the current nut that came with the guitar was a synthetic bone with bronze blend and would be superior for tone. This contrasts all of the research I had previously done on this, which has stated the TUSQ is superior for both tone and tuning stability. Thoughts?

I’m pretty new to PRS and have not really researched or compared TUSQ vs PRS nut characteristics so please take this with a grain of salt. That said, with other guitars (Strats) I have done this incrementally. I just replaced the tuners first (no drilling or tech was required for this so it saved me $$$), take a couple months to assess and then if it still wasn’t right went after the nut.

I’m fairly sure that the nut in my SE and core guitars are the same, it’s just that the nut on the core is cut much better.

I would be inclined to check that the nut slots are cut appropriately for the gauge of string, plus you could try lubing the nut slots with graphite (from a pencil) or even actual nut lube if you’ve got some, before going for a replacement.

The Core nuts are made from some type of unobtanium compound. I believe they are also self lubricating. The SE nuts have always been the weak link with respect to tuning stability on the SE models. A lot of guys end up replacing them with the Core nuts.

In comparing the weight and size and sound of the composite nut I got from PRS accessory store and the one that came from the factory on my SE PG they are exactly the same.

Slots on the factory installed nut were badly cut, as another said. Seem to be exactly the same in every other respect.

That said, I put a compensated brass nut on the SE PG, so no idea about the tusq one. The brass nut is fantastic...to me!

Last edited:
Until recently SE models (both standard and custom) have used plastic nuts. I know I had some hell of a time with tuning issues on my older se custom 22 with a plastic nut. I replaced the plastic with a core nut. Now some of them are some blend of graphite or Synthetic/Bronze powder blend. However, as far as I know, SE Paul's guitar uses Synthetic/Bronze powder blend as well. Surprising on a $1000 SE you would have tuning stability issues. I've actually been eyeing an SE Paul's guitar. I find locking tuners more of a convenience thing than something that helps with tuning stability (unless perhaps you're a serious trem user, and even then). Its more of the quality of the tuners themselves and nut, locking or not.

BTW: I heard the TusqXL can wear down pretty quickly from more than one luthier. I've never used one personally however.

Last edited:
Until recently SE models (both standard and custom) have used plastic nuts.... However, as far as I know, SE Paul's guitar uses Synthetic/Bronze powder blend as well. Surprising on a $1000 SE you would have tuning stability issues. I've actually been eyeing an SE Paul's guitar.

BTW: I heard the TusqXL can wear down pretty quickly from more than one luthier. I've never used one personally however.

So, for me, I really do not like the SE nut material. Like you said, its supposed to be some synth bronze stuff, but it blows. I think they should just come standard with either a core nut or Tusq at that price point, but thats just me. I replaced mine with bone. Not a problem since. Same for my 35th. The nut was binding bad, so it went into the trash bin.

Concerning Tusq, I have been using them for years. Never had one wear down at all. I have a Tusq on my 35th, and my Deans. They do thier job.

So, for me, I really do not like the SE nut material. Like you said, its supposed to be some synth bronze stuff, but it blows. I think they should just come standard with either a core nut or Tusq at that price point, but thats just me. I replaced mine with bone. Not a problem since. Same for my 35th. The nut was binding bad, so it went into the trash bin.

Concerning Tusq, I have been using them for years. Never had one wear down at all. I have a Tusq on my 35th, and my Deans. They do thier job.

yes, I find it very bizarre that they'd go cheap on something so inexpensive as a string nut, but yet that small thing is so vital to the guitar. *shrug* Same could be said about the tuners.

I think they should just come standard with either a core nut or Tusq at that price point.

As above, pretty sure they do. My SE CU24 is a 2019 model and it has the same nut as my 2021 core CU24.

As above, pretty sure they do. My SE CU24 is a 2019 model and it has the same nut as my 2021 core CU24.
Well, I know the PRS online store sells a synth bronze core type nut, but I thought they were still using bone on core models. Maybe its only some of them. I'm fairly certain the PG SE nut is not plastic, but perhaps an inferior version of the core nut material? I cant imagine a core synth bronze nut would be as soft and grabby as the things I've pulled off my SE's.

Well, I know the PRS online store sells a synth bronze core type nut, but I thought they were still using bone on core models. Maybe its only some of them. I'm fairly certain the PG SE nut is not plastic, but perhaps an inferior version of the core nut material? I cant imagine a core synth bronze nut would be as soft and grabby as the things I've pulled off my SE's.
They may well still use bone on some of them, but it appears not exclusively. As said, mine is a 2021 WL C24 and it hasn’t got a bone nut.

So I guess that throws the whole SE vs core nut discussion up in the air!

The red Paul's Guitar Mr. Smith used at the Music School this week had a white nut, which I assumed is bone.

Back