PRS Newbie needs advice - SE 24 vs. CE 24 vs. Custom 24

greatrankini

I think I already know my answer, but any advice appreciated. I plan on buying my first PRS this year. I am not a professional touring musician - just play for fun and still very much learning. I'm torn on which PRS to buy and here are my options:

1. Buy a new SE 24 now.
2. Buy a new CE 24 now.
3. Save up and buy a used Custom 24 in 9-12 months.

The S2 is not an option b/c I want a thin neck.

I'm torn because I wonder if I'm buying too much guitar (for my skills and needs) with a Custom 24. Perhaps an SE 24 or CE 24 is good enough for me and still wonderful. I'm also wondering if I'm prejudiced against the SE 24 because it's not made in the Maryland factory. How much does that matter? I sometimes lean toward the saving up for the Custom 24 because I'm thinking this is a guitar I'll keep forever, so get the best - but maybe the best isn't necessary for me and I'll be super happy with the less-expensive options?

Again, thank you for any input!

First things first, play them all if you haven't. Second, I always tell people this, look at the specs of the guitars and see what you want. Keep in mind the CE and SE both have maple necks, the Custom 24 is mahogany, so it won't be as bright sounding as the former 2.

Give an S2 a try as well, just to feel the neck profile. It's a different shape than most other PRS profiles, not as thin front to back as the wide/thin or pattern thin, but also narrower across, so it still feels smaller, just in a different way.

There is no such thing as buying too much for your skill/need. Buy the best you can afford - best being dictated by things you notice with it in your hands. You will play more, enjoy it more and in doing so get value out of it. And probably become a better player.

As usual, garrett is spot on. Even having it in the budget for a brand spanking new SE CU24... you’re pretty close to a used CE or Standard 24 if you look hard enough and don’t mind a few dings.

VB is right, don't worry about your level, buy the best you can afford. If you're going to stick with it, having something good will help you along.

Also, Garrett and Sergio are on the money. There are some used Cu24's around for new CE money. You may have to look a little bit, but they're there. I was looking at a couple on Reverb earlier today.

If you can buy a new CE right now, you can buy a used Custom right now.

Or if you're into the bolt-on maple neck thing (the reason to buy a CE), you can get a used original CE for even less.

Any of your options will serve you well forever, so it's down to your personal values.

Thanks. I just went to my local dealer (again) and the Custom 24 just feels nicer. And I'm a admittedly a little taken by the fancier bird inlays, too (which I know shouldn't matter). My budget at this point is about $2,000. I think I'll start saving for a new Custom 24 while simultaneously looking for a good deal on a used one. They seem to be more in the mid-$2,000 range.

Don’t forget the Bernie, a lot of nice guitar for the money and sometimes you might find one that someone’s done the upgrades on, bridge/tuners/pups, they’ve taken the hit and you reap the benefits.

I’m noticing a lot of the SE range appearing used on eBay with upgrades at silly money.

Happy hunting :D

Don’t forget the Bernie, a lot of nice guitar for the money and sometimes you might find one that someone’s done the upgrades on, bridge/tuners/pups, they’ve taken the hit and you reap the benefits.

I’m noticing a lot of the SE range appearing used on eBay with upgrades at silly money.

Happy hunting :D

Actually, that's another great idea. Buy an older used SE (insane value for money) and keep socking money away until you can get your Core Custom. You'll already have a head start since you won't blow even a quarter of your goal on the SE.

The best part is, you'll end up with TWO PRS GUITARS. Always the correct solution. :p

The details do matter, and that's really what you pay for in the Core guitars.

You just gotta be patient and keep an eye out. Not that I'm enabling or anything, but...

This one looks sharp and is right on budget: https://reverb.com/item/8582213-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-2011-tiger-burst

Hell, I want to buy this one, it's unique and practically new: https://reverb.com/item/8846309-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-2016-blue-metallic

Thank you! I love that first one! Would you hesitate to buy a 2011 model over a more recent one?

Thanks. I just went to my local dealer (again) and the Custom 24 just feels nicer. And I'm a admittedly a little taken by the fancier bird inlays, too (which I know shouldn't matter). My budget at this point is about $2,000. I think I'll start saving for a new Custom 24 while simultaneously looking for a good deal on a used one. They seem to be more in the mid-$2,000 range.
Excellent!
I think a preference for birds is totally legitimate. I have some Moons because that was what the guitar I really wanted had on it, but given a choice I will almost always take birds. A nice inlay makes me smile a bit more while playing, and smiling is what it is all about.

Thank you! I love that first one! Would you hesitate to buy a 2011 model over a more recent one?
I wouldn’t.
I’d go with the one I liked the best and not worry about the year it was made.

Not at all. A 2017 would have 85/15 squabbin pickups and the updated bridge, but everyone says 59/09 pickups rock and it's not like there was anything wrong with the previous generation bridge.

Back