PRS Modern Eagle compared to the Custom 24?

wind016

Hi folks,

I have a Custom 24 that I'm considering selling later on. Seeing as the newer and updated Custom 24s are around $3000 and a used Modern Eagle is around the same price, how do the two compare? What I'm most concerned with is whether the Modern Eagle can play progressive metal since it seems to be more vintage-sound oriented.

Not many places have the Modern Eagles in stock and I couldn't afford a brand new one anyways, so your help would be greatly appreciated. Even a reference to a previous thread would be good.

I have a MEQ and a CU24. I'm not sure I know what progressive metal is. But if I were to play anything metal, the MEQ would not be my first choice. I love the vintage tones from the MEQ however.

The Modern Eagle is a 22 fretter! Also, newer doesn't automatically equal better. Every guitar, new or old, has an individual personallity. Go play some of the new Custom 24s before you decide. Also, the PTC can "update" your current guitar, which gives you another option. I have liked some of the MEs appointments ever since they first came out, especially the brazillian necks on the originals. However, the 22 frets will always be a deal-breaker for me. I MUST have 24 frets....period. I say skip lunch for a couple years and save the cash for the private stock team to build you a seven string. ( They can and do ) I think that will get the progressive metal job done for sure! But seriously, the Modern Eagle should more than suffice, if you can live with 22 frets, and you could always install hotter pickups although I doubt it nessecary. I would stick with the Custom 24 though, either the new or the old.....its kicks butt. Now to be dead serious, if you can live without a whammy bar.......................get a new "P24" with a rosewood neck NOW! You will never need another electric gtr ever. DO IT!!!

I can't say anything about the newer Cu24s vs the older ones (only played the older ones). But I do have an ME II and it does everything from blues to metal and it does metal very well (using a Mesa Roadster and a Maxon 808).

Apples and Oranges. Completely different guitar models. MEs are more vintage, CU24's are more modern sounding. Both can do prog metal extremely well, it just depends on the sound and feel you're after. FWIW, the P24 seems like its going to be PRS's Ultimate Prog Rock Machine, you may want to look at one of those.

I have a MEQ and a couple custom 22's . I don't have any custom 24's. I play metal also and I tried using my MEQ but the 53/10 pups didn't quite cut enough for me to get that real tight palm mutting. I have to agree that the Modern Eagle is more bluesy sounding but still an amazing axe. I ran mine through a mesa dual rec ( with EL 34's ) with a maxon 808 in front of it .I understand that budget is an issue but I've been playing my siggy and it is taking care of all that and more . JUst Saying :cool:

Progressive metal is such a wide-open thing...I mean, a guy like Tribbett is playing everything from Flying Vs to Les Pauls to Ibanezes and Washburns...lots of variety there! And the same can be said for lots of artists with metal influences who play more progressive styles.

Maybe I'm weird, but it doesn't make sense to me to pigeonhole guitars into categories like, "Is this a metal guitar or a blues guitar?" The fact is that the most significant question is whether the guitar player is good at the particular genre!

I find that what that guitar player hears in his/her head relative to a given song, or simply likes to play, often dictates the choice of instrument to use far more than the genre that the guitar might be typically associated with.

So I think the answer to the question is to play a few, and see what you're into. You might surprise yourself.

Thanks for the responses. I suppose the Modern Eagle may not be the best choice. My Custom 24 right now has the HFS and VB pickups, but I just wonder if I can get a better guitar for the money. Has anyone ever tried putting the HFS and VS or some other high output pick up into a Modern Eagle and play metal?

The P24 seems fantastic. I was actually thinking of installling a Graphtech Ghost into my Custom. Any idea if the Ghost is as good? The P24 would be killer if it had a trem. :)

in my opinion it depends more on the pups or the amp to play prog.

Maybe I'm weird, but it doesn't make sense to me to pigeonhole guitars into categories like, "Is this a metal guitar or a blues guitar?" The fact is that the most significant question is whether the guitar player is good at the particular genre!

If you're weird, then I suppose I am too. All of this talk about 'can you play so and so with this?', or 'I can't play so and so with a ______ guitar'... Thank God Jimi, Jimmy, Jeff, Stevie, EJ, et al didn't allow those ideas to enter into it. Most of the greats seemed to be of the mindset of 'It's got wire, it's got wood, it's got six (or five) strings... That'll work!' I don't know how many experts I've heard say that 'Teles are country guitars', never knowing that a large part of what you hear from Jimmy Page was done on a Tele. Likewise Jeff Beck. Right; Teles are no good if you play rock. Just ask John5.

Some instruments may be better suited for certain styles than others, but IMO it's never black or white. No Rules. Go by what's in your heart, your mind, your ears. Give everything a try and see what happens.

Goldtop

If you're weird, then I suppose I am too. All of this talk about 'can you play so and so with this?', or 'I can't play so and so with a ______ guitar'... Thank God Jimi, Jimmy, Jeff, Stevie, EJ, et al didn't allow those ideas to enter into it. Most of the greats seemed to be of the mindset of 'It's got wire, it's got wood, it's got six (or five) strings... That'll work!' I don't know how many experts I've heard say that 'Teles are country guitars', never knowing that a large part of what you hear from Jimmy Page was done on a Tele. Likewise Jeff Beck. Right; Teles are no good if you play rock. Just ask John5.

Some instruments may be better suited for certain styles than others, but IMO it's never black or white. No Rules. Go by what's in your heart, your mind, your ears. Give everything a try and see what happens.

Goldtop

I think we agree on most things, so maybe you're right, we're both weird!

Like you, I've got no axe to grind if someone wants to say that a particular style/model of instrument works better for that person on a given musical genre. That's a personal thing. But as you say, it's never black or white.

I think we agree on most things, so maybe you're right, we're both weird!

Like you, I've got no axe to grind if someone wants to say that a particular style/model of instrument works better for that person on a given musical genre. That's a personal thing. But as you say, it's never black or white.

I've noticed that too, and I'm honestly humbled by that. A problem I seem to run up against all too often is that many of the notes I hear coming from, say, Eric Johnson for example, are notes that simply aren't to be found on my guitar! Must be a problem at the factory level... :rolleyes:

Goldtop

Last edited:
As others have said above, it's all down to you

I have MEs and C24s, and can get a huge range of crossover tones out of both. It depends on what I want to hear and more importantly, what amp settings I go through. Can an ME do "metal"? Not my thing but through CH3 on my MKV, absolutely. Both guitars can do metal, in the same way as both can do purring blues or sparkling cleans - depending on amp, settings and pedals

Good luck

very personnel thing, I have had 5 CU24s and 1 std24 over the years all good in different ways but I have had and still have 4 ME1's the WF BRW necks are for me the best I have ever laid hands on, I also have a ME3 which is lighter and because of its narrowfields a different beast altogether, the CU24 I still have has a RW neck (WT) and while its a great guitar it does not get the play time the ME's get, I guess you need to find somewhere you can try the two (preferably through your amp) and see what floats YOUR boat, what others thing does not really matter, good luck.

Goldtop

You hit the ball outta the park with this one.

Everyone hears everything differently. And everyone plays everything differently.. You have to bite the bullet and go to the candy store and try 'em. And I don't just mean one or two through the same amp, I mean every one you can get your hands on through amps you thought you would never consider buying, with and without pedals you probably have never considered using....

The only way to find what you want to hear in your head is to be the biggest pain in the a** customer your local shop has ever seen..

"OK, now let's try that one with this pedal and that amp on slight crunch, no reverb..."

As an example - look at Chris's pup shootout - he's only touched on the PRS pups and I'm already in overload. (Keep 'em coming, Chris!)

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask the question - the players here have experiences too and can point you in some directions, maybe some you would not have thought to take. So, listen to what these guys are saying about their CU24 and ME experiences and use that as as your springboard. Local shop doesn't have a ME? You gotta find one and try it - if only to rule it out.

I have more guitars than I deserve, and more amps than I deserve as well. (Once the new studio is done, I'll start posting some pics - both of the studio and the guitars and amps) What I DON'T have yet is my 'own tone'. It is not for lack of trying - it is more about not enough time and experience yet. (the vicious circle: Lessons - practice - lessons - practice... I need more time for the 'p' word)

Back