PRS Metal Treble for a S2 594?

240d

The S2 594 lineup is pretty cool. I have a Singlecut, and I just got a thinline. What's involved in putting a PRS Metal Treble pickup in my 594 Thinline? I realize that the Metal pickup is USA, and the S2 uses overseas pickups. (Different wiring.)
Is it possible to install my metal pickup just for the bridge, while leaving the stock pickup in the neck? I'm hoping that this isn't too big of a project. I'm an automotive technician, but I don't monkey with my guitars much, other than performing basic setups and maintenance.
Any insights would be appreciated.

Shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s basically just a humbucker replacing another humbucker. There may be coil tapping involved. I’m not sure how the \m/ come normally. Most important thing is to just take your time and not panic if it doesn’t work right the first time.

Shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s basically just a humbucker replacing another humbucker. There may be coil tapping involved. I’m not sure how the \m/ come normally. Most important thing is to just take your time and not panic if it doesn’t work right the first time.
I've installed the pickup already, and just don't know how to wire it. And yes, the 594 has coil tapping. I've already attempted wiring once, but it wasn't right. I did, however, get a really nice single coil sound out of it, haha. But, I'll try again.

Last edited:
The only to track is wire colors from two different schematics. The \m/ uncovered are used in Custom 24 Floyds (I have a spare set). They are connected just like 85/15s…they share same connections and capacitor values.

If you are already getting in there and doing the dirty work, it’s a great time to swap the neck pickup. Some folks like the \m/ bridge paired with a 59/09 or 57/08 in the neck.

If you need help with schematics or wiring, let me know.

If you need help with schematics or wiring, let me know.[/QUOTE]
The only to track is wire colors from two different schematics. The \m/ uncovered are used in Custom 24 Floyds (I have a spare set). They are connected just like 85/15s…they share same connections and capacitor values.

If you are already getting in there and doing the dirty work, it’s a great time to swap the neck pickup. Some folks like the \m/ bridge paired with a 59/09 or 57/08 in the neck.

If you need help with schematics or wiring, let me know.
I need help, please! I may change the neck pickup as well, down the road..
If you look at the S2 Singlecut schematic on the PRS site, you'd assume that my 594 Thinline would be the same, but it's not.
https://d159anurvk4929.cloudfront.net/documents/prs_s2_singlecuts_wiring_schematics.pdf

My 5815-S Treble P/U wiring was like this:
Thick black and Green wires were grounded onto the Treble tone pot body.
Black and Red wires were joined, and went to one of the tone pot pins.
The white wire went to one of the treble volume control pins.

**UPDATE:
I tried this tonight, and even though I'm unsure if it's proper, it sounds alright in every setting.

\m/ Metal Treble Pickup:
Braided Ground strap & White - Grounded to Tone Pot housing
Red - to (coil tap?) pin on Tone Pot
Black - to Volume Pot pin w/capacitor

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a 3 way toggle-switch, and I have a diagram and photo of the original setup, but I can't post pics here. PRS emailed me back, but they don't mention the correct wire colours for my \m/ treble pickup, which is a little odd.
I have it wired up and it seems to work, but I don't know if it's proper. I do have a humbucker sound, and when split, I get a single coil sound..

Back