PRS-Mann 30th Anniversary Vibrato Bridge Introduced.

So, I'm gonna be that guy. What exactly is the deal with the Mann bridges? I mean, I could definitely see replacing an SE trem with one of these but I'm not sure I see the benefit of replacing a Core bridge unless it's worn or something. Can someone please enlighten me?

The thing about the Mann bridges is they are all one piece. Better tone transfer and sustain. I have experienced the difference myself. I can feel the increased vibrations with his bridges. His stop-tail bridges are also excellent. The core PRS bridges are very nice. Some of the best on the market. The Mann bridges are just a nice step up in my opinion.

My understanding is the PRS core bridges are very nicely bolted, and the Mann bridges are one piece as stated above. The difference between neck-through and bolt-on construction applies. Solid is better.

I'll have to look this over later for details. It's interesting. My question would not be whether or not there is an audible difference but whether or not the audible difference is worth the extra cash. That's kind of an individual question, though, as each player needs to decide for themselves. Some people won't drop the coin for a better bridge on an epiphone. All three of mine have replacement bridges because to me it was worth the extra $$$. What say you guys?

Interesting. Thanks for the input! I just picked up an SE Singlecut Trem and was considering upgrading the bridge to a core, but the non-Anny Mann may be a good option for me!

I'll have to look this over later for details. It's interesting. My question would not be whether or not there is an audible difference but whether or not the audible difference is worth the extra cash. That's kind of an individual question, though, as each player needs to decide for themselves. Some people won't drop the coin for a better bridge on an epiphone. All three of mine have replacement bridges because to me it was worth the extra $$$. What say you guys?

i would like to see a blind test. i'd like to see a blind test of a lot things actually. amps...pickups...pedals...body wood...neck wood. you plus the guitar into a pedal board...then thru an amp...are you really going to be able to hear the difference in a solid trem? do you really sustain many notes so long as to hear the difference? sustain can be effected by how you hit the string...how you hold the note. or does it effect the tone in a way that is actually noticed. i know these things can effect tone, but how much?

all these little things can add up and PRS guitars sound great. I love them. but other guitars sound just as good. i guess it just seems weird to spend a couple grand or more on a guitar and then start replacing parts.

The upgrade kit for the SE/S2 line is also a good option. Super easy to install, following John Mann's video on YouTube. There is definitely more sustain and to me a little midrange as well. Plus..... it looks awesome.
I got the kit in Gold and totally exceeded my expectations. Such a great quality!!!

some pics...

20150407_202254_zpsezcy7gwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150425_094413_zpsb6blkngq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The upgrade kit for the SE/S2 line is also a good option. Super easy to install, following John Mann's video on YouTube. There is definitely more sustain and to me a little midrange as well. Plus..... it looks awesome.
I got the kit in Gold and totally exceeded my expectations. Such a great quality!!!

some pics...

20150407_202254_zpsezcy7gwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150425_094413_zpsb6blkngq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks great GT! What pickups (with squabbins) did you put in there? I see more fodder for the Modified Monday thread :p

Back to the OP, I have a couple of Mann bridges but still haven't installed one, I want to do it properly with before and after tone tests so yeah, need to lock in a whole day sometime (kinda hard at the moment).

I would really like to try one of these trems but if I like them I will end up buying three. OUCH!

i would like to see a blind test.

This is exactly the kind of part that a blind test wouldn't work on, and here's why: The only way a blind test would be valid with a bridge would be to remove and install the other bridge on the very same guitar. But hearing memory in an A/B comparison only lasts 4-5 seconds.

Obviously, changing out a bridge takes considerably longer than the 4-5 seconds of our hearing memory.

I think this is one of those deals where you'd have to be very familiar with your guitar, and very confident in what you're hearing. You try the other bridge for a while and see if you can hear a difference, and if so, whether you prefer it, the way you do when you change brands or gauge of strings.

I suppose you could record the guitar with each bridge, and A/B back and forth, but it's certainly difficult to play each phrase the exact same way, and then there's the issue of whether the recording equipment itself could obscure the differences. Maybe a direct box recording would eliminate some of the variables.

i guess it just seems weird to spend a couple grand or more on a guitar and then start replacing parts.

I generally like to keep a guitar I'm happy with stock, too.

But let's face it, plenty of our members change out pickups, pickup rings, tuner buttons, switch tips, tuning machines, strap buttons, etc. So why not a bridge? It's just a part like any other, and if someone is into seeing if they can extract that last little bit out of their guitar, who's to say it's a bad idea?

In fact, John's bridges have quite the reputation among members who've tried them.

Last edited:
I suppose you could record the guitar with each bridge, and A/B back and forth, but it's certainly difficult to play each phrase the exact same way, and then there's the issue of whether the recording equipment itself could obscure the differences. Maybe a direct box recording would eliminate some of the variables.
Yup this is what I plan to do, use the Kemper to record the bits, yup not perfect (a robot playing the parts would be good) but hopefully we can hear a difference!

I have a couple of Mann bridges but still haven't installed one, I want to do it properly with before and after tone tests

I know your 1980 is going on the Santana Prototype but, what are you putting the MilCom on?

Yup this is what I plan to do, use the Kemper to record the bits, yup not perfect (a robot playing the parts would be good) but hopefully we can hear a difference!

You probably know this already, but I'll just mention it in case: the tiniest volume difference in your recording levels or playback levels will skew the results. The ear perceives louder as "better."

i would like to see a blind test. i'd like to see a blind test of a lot things actually. amps...pickups...pedals...body wood...neck wood. you plus the guitar into a pedal board...then thru an amp...are you really going to be able to hear the difference in a solid trem? do you really sustain many notes so long as to hear the difference? sustain can be effected by how you hit the string...how you hold the note. or does it effect the tone in a way that is actually noticed. i know these things can effect tone, but how much?

all these little things can add up and PRS guitars sound great. I love them. but other guitars sound just as good. i guess it just seems weird to spend a couple grand or more on a guitar and then start replacing parts.

The hard part would be controlling the picking.

As to spending a couple grand on a guitar and then replacing parts... My PRS Custom 22 came from the factory soundi g and playing beautifully. No changes have or will be made. My Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2013) was another story. I was not happy with the pickups and them wanted brighter tone (stock volume pots were 300k). The set-up was awful too. Had a level and crown done. The pickups and electronics are preferential. But after that it played great.

I think PRS makes better pickups than Gibson, and they certainly do a better job with their fretwork.

Now my Epiphones played pretty good, but the biggest change (surprisingly) was that when I changed fr Epi ABR TOM bridges to TOM bridges made by TonePros, tuning stability increased dramatically. Again, I feel the value of an upgrade depends on the player. I can't see how anything could improve my PRS, thus, it is all stock.

Back