PRS Custom 24 Thornbucker+ vs Aldrich pickups

AtomicBlaze

I would like a bridge pickup that work well with high gain 80s metal, I also like pickups to have a little bit of growl and lots of character. I am having a hard time deciding between these 2 pickups, I have a feeling that the Thornbucker+ is a safer option for this guitar, but I like the way the Aldrich sounds better in demos. Does anyone have good experiences with these pickups in a PRS Custom 24? Will the Aldrich be a bad match because of the harsh upper mids I am currently experiencing?

Other pickups I love in other guitars are the JB/Jazz in a Les Paul Traditional, DGT stock pickups in a DGT, and Pearly Gates bridge in my Fender strat.

Last edited:
@BrianC runs Alrdich pickups in at least one of his Cu24 that he uses with his band. They do the type of music you're referring to, along with some classic 70s rock. I'm not familiar with the Thorhbucker+, but I did have a set of Alrdich in my KL-33 (all Korina Santana). I loved those pick ups. Just perfect. If I were putting pick ups in a guitar, I would definitely buy another set.

@BrianC runs Alrdich pickups in at least one of his Cu24 that he uses with his band. They do the type of music you're referring to, along with some classic 70s rock. I'm not familiar with the Thorhbucker+, but I did have a set of Alrdich in my KL-33 (all Korina Santana). I loved those pick ups. Just perfect. If I were putting pick ups in a guitar, I would definitely buy another set.

Yes, I am a BIG fan of these pups and have them in 3 of my 4 PRS. It would be 4 for 4 but the on is a 5708 LTD and it just makes sense to keep the 08's in there.(These were the best of the best of my 5 or 6 sets of them)

The Aldrich pups scare people off with the high DC resistance rating. People think they are going to be WAY too hot but they are really not. The best way for me to describe them is - all the clarity of a 5708 with the heat of an HFS. I feel they can do ANY style very well. They are also very reasonably prices at about $110 per pup (free installation at CME if purchased there). They tap great.

I also have used a green 3M pad to "brush" the covers and their look fits right in.

I could not be happier with the tone. Its one less thing to think about for me as a dumb gear head. Pickups - check!

Thanks for the help, did you change the electronics at all for the Aldrich, pickups? I think I am going to keep the Dragon II neck and just install the Aldrich bridge since i normally play on the bridge pickup 90% of the time. Will the Aldrich bridge be out of phase with the Dragon II neck?

The Santana I put them in got a push/pull tone for splits. Other than that, everything stayed the same. Shouldn't be out of phase unless you wire it like that (either on purpose or by accident!)

Back