PRS Custom 24 SE - Are they cracks?

yfaney

Hi all,

I just got my new PRS Custom 24 SE delivered today, and I see some white lines near the edge of the high frets.

img_5578_resized.jpeg

I am worried if they are hairline cracks on the fretboard or not, but many of you may know better answer.

Hi all,

I just got my new PRS Custom 24 SE delivered today, and I see some white lines near the edge of the high frets.

img_5578_resized.jpeg

I am worried if they are hairline cracks on the fretboard or not, but many of you may know better answer.
Not sure what it is, but I don’t like it. It could just be as deep as the seal coat, or it could go deeper. I’d probably get a rag and try to rub one of them out, and if that didn’t work, return it. To me, that’s the kind of thing that should have been revealed at purchase. And if it’s from shipping, I wouldn’t want to accept it.

Looks like someone might have scratched it smoothing the fret ends?

Maybe some 000 steel wool and mineral oil will make them all but disappear.

I like the flying cat and turtle inlay.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. I was looking for the way to upload my pictures.

I had a chance to look at the concerning spots using my microscope after I read @Lewguitar 's comment.

img_5592_resized.jpeg

img_5598_resized.jpeg

Based on my observation, yeah I think it is just a scratch, not a crack which sounds good to me.

The following Youtube video also describes the task which might have caused this issue if the worker had a mistake.

So now it's not a functional issue, but a cosmetic issue. After polishing with mineral oil, now it is hard to find the spot.

I still need to think about whether I should return this or not, but at least I think there would be no problem to play this guitar if I decide to keep it at last.

Except this cosmetic issue, I cannot find any other issues. Overall, this is a great guitar!

Back