PRS CU24 20th anniversary

iceiceice

I have a plan to buy 2nd hand PRS CU24..
And can u all tell me this guitar is the real one or fake one ??
The seller said this guitar is PRS CU24 20th Anniversary Artist Package(Brazillian Rosewood)
here are the photos

Thanks for your help :)

The information you got appears to be mostly correct. It is a PRS, it has the Artist Package additions of a veneer headstock, paua inlays and gold hardware, and it was made in the 20th year for PRS which was 2005. BUT, it does not have the 20th Anni birds. It has the standard birds for that year. That takes it out if what we call the 20th Anni's. Here is a photo of the 20th Anni birds.
P1010007.jpg

It has not been a case queen, it's seen time out and been played. It has also been modded. The Cu24 for that year came with a 5 way rotary switch and that one has a 3 way toggle (and probably a push/pull tone pot). It is a mod that is often done and you may like it, but just letting you know it isn't original. It has an Artist grade quilt top that is starting to fade (the blue fades easily, and many PRS fans love the fade).

So the conclusion is, this guitar is real PRS but had been modified right ??
I think the same when i see the bird inlays, it looks different with the others 20th anniversary..
can u give me advice that i should buy this guitar or not ??
The price is around $2200

I just realize that the seller post a different photos..
on the 1st until 3rd photos the tunner color is gold..
but when he gave me the photo of the serial number the tunner color is silver..

I just realize that the seller post a different photos..
on the 1st until 3rd photos the tunner color is gold..
but when he gave me the photo of the serial number the tunner color is silver..

Well, don't be so sure. the camera looks like it did some auto-white-balancing, because the serial number on the back is usually/always done in gold felt-tip, and that writing also looks "silvery". I think the blue tile background confused the camera. Ask the seller to re-take the photo with a more neutral (light brown or sandy or gray-ish) background.

EDIT: I just did a quick and dirty color balance of the above photo to get the tiles in the background to look closer to white (notice a couple of the other photos show white floors tiles!). The tuners and paint-pen look gold-colored as a result. I would post the adjusted photo here, but it isn't mine to re-post...

Last edited:
Well, don't be so sure. the camera looks like it did some auto-white-balancing, because the serial number on the back is usually/always done in gold felt-tip, and that writing also looks "silvery". I think the blue tile background confused the camera. Ask the seller to re-take the photo with a more neutral (light brown or sandy or gray-ish) background.

EDIT: I just did a quick and dirty color balance of the above photo to get the tiles in the background to look closer to white (notice a couple of the other photos show white floors tiles!). The tuners and paint-pen look gold-colored as a result. I would post the adjusted photo here, but it isn't mine to re-post...

i really conffuse about this guitar..
especially about the inlays..
i'm looking on google about the 20th anniv and it has different inlays with this one
:(

i really conffuse about this guitar..
especially about the inlays..
i'm looking on google about the 20th anniv and it has different inlays with this one
:(

it's not unusual. The birds on your guitar are the usual birds. For 2005 they did 20th Anni birds like the ones I showed you. If you (or the retailer) didn't order the 20th Anni package, you just get the regular birds. there is nothing wrong with the guitar. It just doesn't have the 20th Anni package. It does have the Artist package. As for the price, it is in the ballpark for artist package guitars, but with the 3 way switch mod and some play wear, I might ask for a reduction. If you bought at that price you wouldn't be getting ripped off. It just depends on how much you want the guitar.

Kinda curious about the paperwork...especially the one with the chinese characters. That certainly isn't normal PRS paperwork.

Looking at the other photos on the linked Photobucket page there are items clearly of an International Flavor, shall we say, that also seem to be "for sale"...I suspect the seller is located somewhere in southeast Asia. Maybe that item in the photo is an import-duty form/stamp or something.

One of the other photos of the guitar on the linked Photobucket shows the top portion of the case along the snap-opening side, and on the left edge of the top I think I can barely make out:

CUSTOM 24 ARTIST ROYAL BLUE ARTIST PACKAGE V12 ????? 3 WAY TOGGLE ????

Dunno if that helps verify or deny claims of authenticity. or maybe I'm just imagining I can see those things...

Looking at the other photos on the linked Photobucket page there are items clearly of an International Flavor, shall we say, that also seem to be "for sale"...I suspect the seller is located somewhere in southeast Asia. Maybe that item in the photo is an import-duty form/stamp or something.

One of the other photos of the guitar on the linked Photobucket shows the top portion of the case along the snap-opening side, and on the left edge of the top I think I can barely make out:

CUSTOM 24 ARTIST ROYAL BLUE ARTIST PACKAGE V12 ????? 3 WAY TOGGLE ????

Dunno if that helps verify or deny claims of authenticity. or maybe I'm just imagining I can see those things...

my friend said that u can request some detail in artist package such as 5 rotary or 3 way toggle, and the also the inlays..
is it true ??
so the conclusion is this ni t not FAKE guitar right ??
in my country they sell PRS so expensive..
so hard to find secondhand PRS guitar under $2700

my friend said that u can request some detail in artist package such as 5 rotary or 3 way toggle, and the also the inlays..
is it true ??
so the conclusion is this ni t not FAKE guitar right ??
in my country they sell PRS so expensive..
so hard to find secondhand PRS guitar under $2700

It's not a fake. I am not aware of PRS letting you modify the Artist Package. But I am not all knowing either. I believe that you could order the Artist Package and in 2005 you could order the 20th Anni birds. If you didn't order the 20th Anni birds you would get the regular birds. Maybe that is what he meant. If in your country the used prices are higher (like they are in the UK), then the price seems attractive.

It's not a fake. I am not aware of PRS letting you modify the Artist Package. But I am not all knowing either. I believe that you could order the Artist Package and in 2005 you could order the 20th Anni birds. If you didn't order the 20th Anni birds you would get the regular birds. Maybe that is what he meant. If in your country the used prices are higher (like they are in the UK), then the price seems attractive.

I found another one with the same price
This one has 5 rotary and 20th Anniv inlays but it's not artist package
which one do you prefer ??
Here is the photo

I'm sorry if i ask a lot .. i never use PRS before ..
so i dont know a lot about this guitar..
Thank you

Last edited:
The three way toggle was an available option that could be ordered from the factory...

The three way toggle was an available option that could be ordered from the factory...

Yeah: from the Switching page under PRS Support:

Custom, CE Bolt-On & Standard (Optional 1998 - 2010)

- 22 Fret - 2 PRS Dragon II Humbuckers
- 24 Fret - PRS HFS Treble pickup and Vintage Bass Humbuckers
- 3-Way Toggle, Master Volume and Push-Pull Tone Pot
PUSH-PULL DOWN POSITIONS

• Position 1: Treble Humbucker
  • Position 2: Both Humbuckers
  • Position 3: Bass Humbucker
PUSH-PULL UP POSITIONS

• Position 4: Bridge Single Coil
  • Position 5: Both Single Coils
  • Position 6: Neck Single Coil

I found another one with the same price
This one has 5 rotary and 20th Anniv inlays but it's not artist package
which one do you prefer ??

I'm sorry if i ask a lot .. i never use PRS before ..
so i dont know a lot about this guitar..
Thank you
Which one do I prefer? That should not matter a single ounce to you. And I bet half of us would say the blue one, and the other half would say the amber-cherry burst (or whatever) one.

Are you able to play either guitar? Does it sing to you? Or does it just feel like another "OK" guitar?

That's what really matters...of course, I recently bought a couple of PRSi online without playing them first, and got lucky - they play very nicely. Or maybe there are very few "grumpy" PRSi out there...

Oh, and for the record...I'd probably get the one with the 20th anniversary birds, even though I like the blue color of the other one...

Which one do I prefer? That should not matter a single ounce to you. And I bet half of us would say the blue one, and the other half would say the amber-cherry burst (or whatever) one.

Are you able to play either guitar? Does it sing to you? Or does it just feel like another "OK" guitar?

That's what really matters...of course, I recently bought a couple of PRSi online without playing them first, and got lucky - they play very nicely. Or maybe there are very few "grumpy" PRSi out there...

Oh, and for the record...I'd probably get the one with the 20th anniversary birds, even though I like the blue color of the other one...

Thanks a lot for your help..
I really appreciate it..
i still have 2 days to thingking about which one that i should take..

and for rock music, which is better dragon II pick up or PRS HFS Treble pickup and Vintage Bass Humbuckers ??

This is hot! 20th birds and a great burst.

Yeah man .. for the color i really like the blue one ;D

Thanks a lot for your help..
...and for rock music, which is better dragon II pick up or PRS HFS Treble pickup and Vintage Bass Humbuckers ??

Both sets are modern sounding pups and both have their fans. If I had to guess I would say more people like the HFS/Vintage set more than the Dragon 11's but I'm sure that is going to get some people yelling in opposition. It's a personal preference. I like the HFS/Vintage set.

Iceice.. Are you from indonesia?

Looks like it is a legit prs cu24 artist packge but it maybe not 20th anniversary edition.

Maybe someone swaped the trc with 20th anniversary version.. I dont know.

You should check this one too http://m.kaskus.co.id/post/529324fefeca17da6c000008#post529324fefeca17da6c000008

It is same guitar but without "20th "trc.

I have custom 24 artist package 20th anniversary, but not same like that. Here is mine:

2962ab.jpg

Last edited:
Iceice.. Are you from indonesia?

Looks like it is a legit prs cu24 artist packge but it maybe not 20th anniversary edition.

Maybe someone swaped the trc with 20th anniversary version.. I dont know.

You should check this one too http://m.kaskus.co.id/post/529324fefeca17da6c000008#post529324fefeca17da6c000008

It is same guitar but without "20th "trc.

I have custom 24 artist package 20th anniversary, but not same like that. Here is mine:
Hey .. Yes i'm an Indonesian..
Nice to know you..
your guitar looks great..
I'm searching for the blue one like yours..
Can i have your contact such as LINE or Whatsapp ??
I want to talk a lot about this guitar..
Thanks

Back