PRS coil split wiring resistor

Is this video the correct installation.

His way will work. I actually pulled the tone control out of one I added them to so I could get to it easier. I left the wires soldered to it but was able to get all around it easier. I soldered the resistors to the sides of the switch casing like PRS does instead of to the bottom of the casing like he did. There are a number of models that have these resistors in them so you can probably find a wiring diagram that is very close to your guitar if you want to see what that looks like.

Will a humbucker with a PRS coil split wiring resistor sound like a regular single coil pickup of a Fender Stratocaster?
Definitely not. The coil-split resistor is there to raise the ground reference to allow the split pickup coil to have more even volume with the full humbucker tone. Discreet split humbucker coils sound anemic every time, so the resistor split allows the split tones to blend ina little better when used. But they don't sound like Strat single coils, unless the pickup is designed that way.... I've never seen it, although the PRS resistor tap values on a BKP uncovered Mule sound KILLER.

His way will work. I actually pulled the tone control out of one I added them to so I could get to it easier. I left the wires soldered to it but was able to get all around it easier. I soldered the resistors to the sides of the switch casing like PRS does instead of to the bottom of the casing like he did. There are a number of models that have these resistors in them so you can probably find a wiring diagram that is very close to your guitar if you want to see what that looks like.
So remove the white and link wire from the middle lugs and then solder the resistors to the middle lugs and then to the sides of the pot. Is that correct.
temp-Image-W2k-TBr.jpg
temp-Image5-YZKz1.jpg

Last edited:
The correct wiring is to connect the split wires to the middle lugs of the switch, and the resistors on the “up” lugs connected to ground. What are the white and green wires?

It looks like you have multiple ground wires connected to the body of the tone pot. You only want one ground circuit, and doubling up your ground wires will great ground loops between each pair of shared connections.

The correct wiring is to connect the split wires to the middle lugs of the switch, and the resistors on the “up” lugs connected to ground. What are the white and green wires?

It looks like you have multiple ground wires connected to the body of the tone pot. You only want one ground circuit, and doubling up your ground wires will great ground loops between each pair of shared connections.
The photos are not my wire harness. It's just for reference. I wanted members to look at the photos to see if this is the proper placement of the resistors.

Last edited:
One thing I've been doing for a while now is installing 10k variable resistors in place of the stock resistors. This way I can set whatever amount of feed that I want into the split side of the pickup. Compared to the PRS stock resistors, I generally go a little hotter with the bridge pickup and about the same or a little lower on the neck pickup. It's just a balance that I prefer a little more than the stock wiring. I also run with the '50s wiring:

It's certainly not for everyone, but it is an option if you'd like to have more control of the resistance.

Back