PRS Cabinets

...I sort of wish that they had a 2z12 option where the cab was oriented vertically instead of horizontally. Footprint is often at a premium, and I usually run the cab sideways on a little rise. Works fine, but it'd be nice (strictly from a looks perspective) if they had an option styled for vertical use...

So, Martysnarf, what did you replace your HX/DA with?

I too wish that PRS would not only make vertical cabs, but HOW ABOUT A SLANT CAB??? I don't need my speakers pointing at my ankles!! WTF?? LOL!!

Glad I can be of help, guys. Right now I am using- and absolutely ENTHRALLED WITH- my PRS Sweet 16. I picked it up at XPRS last Sept. I wanted a lower-wattage amp on which I can run the Master all the way up without ears bleeding, and I LOVE the SW16. I didn't think I would, because I've played 2 of them previously (the older Rev's of them), and was not happy with them. Speaking with Doug and Junior at XPRS this past year, they were telling me how this latest Rev had been significantly updated, and I demo'd it and just LOVED it. It is more than loud enough, and I get WONDERFUL output tube saturation and distortion that I just love. I also have a PRS 2-Channel C (one of the first 25 prototypes from 2010), and I have an original '78 Marshall JMP.

I've had both a Super Dallas and an HXDA, and I loved them both. I just found that they were too loud for me to run with the Masters dimed, plus- I have a Marshall that many consider "legendary", and the SD and HXDA- though more versatile- seemed to be redundant. I really don't need any more 50-watt amps; I'm covered there. My Marshall sounds AMAZING. It is everything that a JMP should be. I needed a lower-wattage single-channel amp, and the SW16 suits me PERFECTLY. It sounds louder or quieter depending on the size of the cab that I run it through, so I have all the versatility I need.

I do still LUST for one of the 30w HXDAs... might have to check one of those out at some point, because I liked the HXDA that much. If there was a 15-20w HXDA out there, I'd probably have it instead of the SW16. However, changing an HXDA to wattage that low would likely necessitate a change to the tubes, the transformer, etc... so at that point it's really NOT an HXDA anymore, is it LOL!!?? I also am VERY interested in Grissom's new amp... The rumor is that there will be a 15 and 30 watt model, so I may end up coming home from XPRS this year with one of those, if they are done in time. Guess we'll see...

If you have tried one of the Sweet 16s previous to this past year's XPRS event and thought they were just "meh", or even sounded outright bad, do yourself a favor and give them another chance now that they have been updated. It's a whole new animal now. I'm real happy with it.

As always, if any of you want to talk in detail about my experiences with any of these amps, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM and we can get on the phone and talk more. Happy to share any info that I have!

Last edited:
I'll be interested in the new Grissom amp, too, if it's a 30 watt EL84 amp, as I've always loved that AC-30 thing. It'd be a nice complement to the HX/DA.

I'll be interested in the new Grissom amp, too, if it's a 30 watt EL84 amp, as I've always loved that AC-30 thing. It'd be a nice complement to the HX/DA.

Agreed on all counts, Les. I know that DGh was going for the "Vox thing", and if anyone can "one-up" an AC-30, it's Doug and DGh! I'm real excited to hear 'em! Definitely will be a different animal than what we both already have. It will be nice to have some variety.

On another note, are you gonna make it out here in Sept? Hope so; I'd love to meet ya and shoot the bull!

Last edited:
Glad I can be of help, guys. Right now I am using- and absolutely ENTHRALLED WITH- my PRS Sweet 16. I picked it up at XPRS last Sept. I wanted a lower-wattage amp on which I can run the Master all the way up without ears bleeding, and I LOVE the SW16. I didn't think I would, because I've played 2 of them previously (the older Rev's of them), and was not happy with them. Speaking with Doug and Junior at XPRS this past year, they were telling me how this latest Rev had been significantly updated, and I demo'd it and just LOVED it. It is more than loud enough, and I get WONDERFUL output tube saturation and distortion that I just love. I also have a PRS 2-Channel C (one of the first 25 prototypes from 2010), and I have an original '78 Marshall JMP.
Interesting, I was considering the Sweet 16 last year and passed on it as I thought it didn't have the sound I was looking for. Glad to hear that you're liking the tone! I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks bro!! I appreciate you pointing out that I am not ALWAYS an idiot and do occasionally make SOME sense LOL!! My 1x12 is closed-back; all my cabs are. I LOVE IT. Even cooler that zebraprs gave it to me! He's a good dude.

NAH, I was just paying it forward. It was given to me.. I am glad it worked out for you..

For me, I love the DM 2z12 with my 2 Channel C, but you can't beat the Stealth 2x12 with the Original Sewell or my Perfect 10!!!!! My Stealth 2x12 is open back. sounds great..

Martysnarf is THE MAN when it comes to PRS amps and cabs...he knows his shine-ola. The only thing I'll add is that the 2x12 Stealth pine suits me very well for the classic rock gig. And I especially support his comment about the WGS ET65 in the 1x12 config. Jeff, is your 1x12 open back? If not, I gotta get one of those!
Might also want to check out the WGS Retro 30. I'm running a WGS ET 90 in one of my cabs now and so far have run a Celestian H75 , H30 Anniversary, 70/Eighty and a Retro 30 in that same cab with my MT 15. I run a miced cab off stage at my Church in the back. With my Archon and MT 15 I have a oversized Blackstar 1x12 with a WGS Retro that absolutely kills with these amps in particular!!
This is the MT 15 crunched with the Retro
Clean with the MT 15 and the Retro in my cab

Holy old thread bump, Batman! Half the posters in this thread are guys I’ve never even heard of. And, it reminded me again that we haven’t seen Corey T in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back