PRS Cabinets

Kine

Large Member
I searched this section and didn't find a thread dedicated to PRS Cabinets. I figured I'd start one since I'm considering purchasing one to go with a PRS Amplifier.

If possible, I'd like to keep this thread open for any and all discussion on PRS Cabinets (not just my question). Please feel free to compare other manufacturers as you see fit.

According to the site, PRS Cabs come in a variety of configurations:
  • The SE 2x12 Closed Back Plywood
  • Stealth Cabinets: 1x12", 2x12" and 2x12" Big Mouth all which are Pine Closed Backs. (Actually, it doesn't specify for the BM).
  • Larger Stealth Cabs: 4x10 Open Back Pine and a 4x12" Birch (not sure if open or closed).

So, seeing that I'm currently getting ready to scoop up a new PRS amp, I'm also starting to get interested in PRS Cabinets. Depending on which amp I go with, I may want to get a matching cab also. I see many around here with the setup and I must confess that the aesthetics are awesome! :adore:

I had, initially, thought I wanted to keep my footprint small and so I wasn't considering a PRS Cab. However, I've been reconsidering after reading the success people have been having with the 2x12".

Now, my question really pertains to the 1x12", 2x12" or the 2x12" Big Mouth. :dontknow: I'm heavily leaning towards the HXDA at this point. :top: Which Cab may suit me better? Seems the BM probably has deeper lows and may be a bit rounder. However, I play a DGT and a McCarty and lean towards classic sounds more so I'm not sure if I really need to deepen the tone even more. I'm afraid it may just get too bassy! Plus, I definitely like the look of the matching face plate of the regular 2x12". Also, having it be a little narrower would help in my space.

Any thoughts? :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'd go with the 2X12 Stealth Cab. IMO, it will give you that "classic" tone that you are looking for without getting too Muddy in the mid-range. Plus it will look SWEET when it matches your new (possibly) HXDA amp!! :biggrin:

I'd go with the 2X12 Stealth Cab. IMO, it will give you that "classic" tone that you are looking for without getting too Muddy in the mid-range. Plus it will look SWEET when it matches your new (possibly) HXDA amp!! :biggrin:
Thanks TAJ. It appears to me that the 1x12" and the 2x12" may be the same size? Is there a tonal (as opposed to volume) advantage to having 2 speakers in a Cab vs 1?

Thanks TAJ. It appears to me that the 1x12" and the 2x12" may be the same size? Is there a tonal (as opposed to volume) advantage to having 2 speakers in a Cab vs 1?

Kine,

I have a PRS 1x12, and two 2x12s: a Deep Stealth (birch) and a Pine- ALL closed-back. The 1x12s are slightly smaller; they are not the same size (or weight) as a 2x12. The more speakers you have, the more air you move, obviously.

What I have found in using all 3 of these live is that I choose a different cab to suit the size of the venue. The difference in the amount of speakers allows me to sort of control the volume without changing the volume of my head, which you have already hit on. This is wonderful to me, because I like to run my heads with the Master all the way up, as Grissom talks about all the time. While this can be virtually deafening through a 4x12, pretty damn loud through a 2x12, it can be tolerable for smaller rooms through the 1x12. I love having this versatility.

TONE-WISE, I have found that the 1x12 can sound "more focused", but I am a firm believer that quite a bit of this has to do with your speakers in the cab. There are different schools of thought and different tonal preferences that everyone has, but personally I have found tonal nirvana with V30s in my 2x12s, and with my Warehouse ET65 in my 1x12. That single Warehouse sounds DARN CLOSE tonally to the dual V30s in the 2x12s, but just "more focused". It's easier on the ears, too. Some speakers "spread the sound out more", and some keep the sound "less scattered" and "focused". Most of the PRS cabs come stock with speakers that I would consider very focused and warm.

I definitely think that the speakers have a TON to do with the tone you are seeking, but based on your OP, I would HIGHLY recommend a 2x12 Deep Stealth or Pine cab with your HXDA, if you are looking for warm, vintage tone. I had an HXDA for awhile and absolutely LOVED it with my 2x12 Deep Stealth. It was DEFINITELY bass-y, but you can really control that with the HXDA. The HXDA is what I would call a bass-heavy amp (in my opinion), and the Deep Stealth birch cab will accentuate this bass, but it's a TIGHT bass; not "floppy". The Pine cab will take some of that bass out and sound a bit more "open". The Deep Stealth is more in like Orange cab territory, while the Pine cab sounds a hair more towards the Marshall cab side of things, if that helps.

To keep it simple, here's the long and short of it. In my experience, the birch Deep Stealth cab is punchy and thick, with a very tight, bass-y bottom end. It is great for midrange-focused guitars like McCartys, DGTs, and Les Pauls. The Pine cabs sound WONDERFUL with the more "scooped" sounding guitars and single-coils, like the thinner-bodied PRSi and strats/teles. That pine has some real magic and spank that it adds to the tonal spectrum. BOTH cabinets sound WONDERFUL- don't get me wrong- but to MY ears, the Deep Stealth sounds best for that humbucker, classic vintage-tone that it sounds like you are after. You can't go wrong with either. I also LOVE my 1x12 and use it for smaller rooms, but it sounds like "something in the middle" might be best for your right now, so I'd hit the 2x12 if I were you.

I'm going to let my pine 2x12 go (clad in paisley) because I use the birch much more, so PM me if you have any interest. Also, feel free to PM me if you want more information about all of these cabs offline. We can talk on the phone or something; happy to help!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the 1x12 cabs, so I cannot really say. There was a YouTube video out their that I tried to find for you that was Paul in his studio playing through several of the different cabinets so that you could here the difference in them. But I just can't seem to find it for you. I'm sure someonelse will chime in that does have more experience with the different cabinets.

OH MAN! Thanks for the super detailed run-down Martysnarf! Much much appreciated! :shakehands:

Give me a bit to digest this wisdom and I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.

OH MAN! Thanks for the super detailed run-down Martysnarf! Much much appreciated! :shakehands:

Give me a bit to digest this wisdom and I'm sure I'll have some questions for you.

Cool man, glad my mindless babble was actually useful LOL! Once you've digested it all, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can rap on the phone if ya like.

Martysnarf is THE MAN when it comes to PRS amps and cabs...he knows his shine-ola. The only thing I'll add is that the 2x12 Stealth pine suits me very well for the classic rock gig. And I especially support his comment about the WGS ET65 in the 1x12 config. Jeff, is your 1x12 open back? If not, I gotta get one of those!

I'm not familiar with the 1x12 cabs, so I cannot really say. There was a YouTube video out their that I tried to find for you that was Paul in his studio playing through several of the different cabinets so that you could here the difference in them. But I just can't seem to find it for you. I'm sure someonelse will chime in that does have more experience with the different cabinets.
Is it the video on the site where they go into the basement? I forget what they run through there...

Cool man, glad my mindless babble was actually useful LOL! Once you've digested it all, feel free to shoot me a PM and we can rap on the phone if ya like.
PM sent.

Martysnarf is THE MAN when it comes to PRS amps and cabs...he knows his shine-ola. The only thing I'll add is that the 2x12 Stealth pine suits me very well for the classic rock gig. And I especially support his comment about the WGS ET65 in the 1x12 config. Jeff, is your 1x12 open back? If not, I gotta get one of those!
Thanks for the confirmation Boogie...

Is it the video on the site where they go into the basement? I forget what they run through there...

Thats the one! I can't find it and now it's frustrating me!! Anyway, I remember them going through the 2x12 and a 4x10 and the big mouth cabinets but I don't remember if there were any others that they went through??

Martysnarf is THE MAN when it comes to PRS amps and cabs....Jeff, is your 1x12 open back?!

Thanks bro!! I appreciate you pointing out that I am not ALWAYS an idiot and do occasionally make SOME sense LOL!! My 1x12 is closed-back; all my cabs are. I LOVE IT. Even cooler that zebraprs gave it to me! He's a good dude.

Last edited:
Wow, before reading this thread I didn't even know PRS made a 4x12 cab. I was aware of the others, but not the 4x10 or the 4x12.

I believe I found the video, as I was checking out the H amps last year online on the PRS page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we show so love for 4 x 10, or is it just me that prefers that extra treble that requires me to roll off the treble in the amp and may be the guitar (rarely). IMHO, every control in a passive tonal circuit is no more than a treble roll-off.

Great stuff Martysnarf! I've gotta admit, I didn't even know that there were two different 2x12 types of closed backs.

I actually loaded mine up with a bunch of different speakers, and liked Celestion Blues the best (of all things...) Yeah, it's only good to 30W, but I run pairs of blues all the time with higher output amps and just make sure to keep things dialed back and haven't ever had a problem. I can't typically run the HX/DA with the master all the way up anyway. I could get away with it with a good number of the gigs that we do, but my band mates get cranky if stage volume gets too high.

I sort of wish that they had a 2z12 option where the cab was oriented vertically instead of horizontally. Footprint is often at a premium, and I usually run the cab sideways on a little rise. Works fine, but it'd be nice (strictly from a looks perspective) if they had an option styled for vertical use...

So, Martysnarf, what did you replace your HX/DA with?

I run my HX/DA into a 212 Mesa birch cab that is similar in dimension and speakers to the PRS deep cab. It sounds great. It takes a while to break in V-30s, by the way, so be patient. I don't find the combination too bassy (something I was concerned about).

Since I already had the cab when the head arrived, I didn't feel a need to go with the PRS cab, but I certainly would at some point.

A nice thing about a 212 cab is that the two speakers tend to create a bit of "swirl" from phase issues from the listener's perspective as the two speakers interact inside the cab and in the room. This creates a natural chorus effect, and it's why a lot of players go with a 212 (or 412 for that matter).

I find a 112 perfectly fine for recording, and of course, because there aren't phasing effects, it does sound very focused as martysnarf suggests.

A nice thing about a 212 cab is that the two speakers tend to create a bit of "swirl" from phase issues from the listener's perspective as the two speakers interact inside the cab and in the room. This creates a natural chorus effect, and it's why a lot of players go with a 212 (or 412 for that matter).

I find a 112 perfectly fine for recording, and of course, because there aren't phasing effects, it does sound very focused as martysnarf suggests.
Definitely something I was wondering about so thanks for explaining that!

Back