PRS build and wood choices

Electrickn

Hey all

I'd like some opinions on a PRS build (Custom24) I'm considering. My main music style is probably close to hard rock/progressive.
Here's the wood:
Maple top, swamp ash body, Curly maple neck and fretboard.
Will this be too bright? I love the sound of the other custom24s I've had, but the bodys were all mahogany, and the fretboards were either ebony or rosewood.
The swamp ash looks great, and the curly maple neck too. I've never had a maple fretboard on a PRS before, so I'd like to get one, but at this price, I should be sure.

Thanks!

It'll definitely be bright. Too bight? Depends on what you like. Do you like the regular swamp ash PRS? If you do, you'll probably be fine.

\m/....Yep....those are the ones I'm getting

I've never played a swamp ash PRS ....so that's why I'm a little hesitant.
my previous sc58s, sc245s, cutom22, and custom 24s were all mahogany bodies, maple tops and either rosewood or ebony fretboards.
I think I have day or two to make changes. This will be my first PRS with a Floyd too.
Thanks for the input guys!

Last edited:
The swamp ash body won't make it especially bright.

I have a swamp ash with maple neck and board (no maple top). And it is a great guitar. You can definitely rock it. It does favour mid to high harmonics more than a full rose wood neck, or mahogany with an ebony board, but I wouldn't categorize it as bright.

You've got a nice package going. I look forward to seeing the result.

Too bright? That's why god invented the tone knob! :wave:

I always think that's going to be an option, but nothing good ever comes from tweaking the tone knob. (referring only to my experience with my guitars.)

Yeah..I know.....I just don't use it that often. I tend to want to tweak my amp before the guitar tone knob.

Another aspect to this guitar is that I want it to be a 24.5" scale. So this is really going to be something new for me.
I never played a DC245 because of the huge heels on the necks

Last edited:
As someone who has had some experiments turn out differently than expected, I will give my $.02. The most satisfying PS builds I have commissioned were based on platforms I had previous experience with. My read here is that this build would be quite different than your previous instruments, and could be a bit risky in terms of tonal goals if you want it to sound similar to your previous instruments (of course you might not), YMMV.

I always think that's going to be an option, but nothing good ever comes from tweaking the tone knob. (referring only to my experience with my guitars.)

I used to have this problem too, but then I started turning my amps up all the way to get the most high end out of the amp, and now I ride the V/T as required :)

The tone knobs on my Les Pauls and strats I've had were used much more often than on my PRS guitars. With a PRS, I just turn it all the way clockwise and we're good to go. With the he Fenders and the Gibsons it was all about trying to get something tonally that was never going to be there. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed those guitars too, but PRS has been my favorite for 20 years. Turning the tone knob down on my PRS sounds like putting a cardboard box over my amp. Maybe if I'm playing some Bop I will use the tone knob more, but then again I use my 175 most of the time for that stuff.
In the end, the tone knob will be there, but I'd rather build the guitar for the tone, than chase the tone I want after it has been built.

Last edited:
The swamp ash body won't make it especially bright.

I have a swamp ash with maple neck and board (no maple top). And it is a great guitar. You can definitely rock it. It does favour mid to high harmonics more than a full rose wood neck, or mahogany with an ebony board, but I wouldn't categorize it as bright.

You've got a nice package going. I look forward to seeing the result.

Thanks, I'll post some pictures when it's done.

I don't think that combo would be too bright, at least not any brighter than a typical F style guitar. This is the same wood combo that some of the PS Brent Mason models have. The \m/ pickups also tend to thicken up the tone a bit at least on the 3 guitars I've played with them installed. The shorter scale is also going to help give it more of a mid push so again, not that bright.

Thanks everyone for all the input! The order sheet's all done, so barring any issues with the wood, I'm confirming this tomorrow. I'll post some pics when it comes in (3-4 months?)

Last edited:
Back