PRS Bernie Marsden

kwdickert

Fuchs/PRS Believer
Just wanted to say that I've had my Bernie for about 6 mos and it's become my #1 guitar. I made some upgrades to it. I put shepton P/Us in it, added a bone nut, and changed out the tuners. Honestly, in hindsight, it played fine without these but I can never leave well enough alone! Anyway, it's a beauty for sure.

Great to hear that you are enjoying it tremendously
but can we enjoy a few pictures?:biggrin:

18874205199_6ace46b74c_z.jpg

Here you go. I also added the top hat knobs to keep the 59LP vibe going.

Last edited:
Nice to hear about another Bernie lover. Mine has Seth Lover's in it. Great PAF tone!

Sweet looking Bernie...

Welcome to the club!

I have a few issues w the wiring as it is though. The tone knob is useless until below 5. The volume knobs on both get dark and hollow sounding by 8. I use a 223 (0.022) orange drop. I'm thinking of dropping this in there to see if the custom tapers make a difference. This is the one recommended to me by the guys at RS.

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/premium-vintage-explorer-flying-v-electronic-upgrade-kit/dp/360#

As it is, I play the guitar more or less wide open and just adjust with the amp. That's not what i'm used to. I upgraded my strat with an RS kit with hugeeeeee results so I think i'll do this as well.

I have a few issues w the wiring as it is though. The tone knob is useless until below 5. The volume knobs on both get dark and hollow sounding by 8. I use a 223 (0.022) orange drop. I'm thinking of dropping this in there to see if the custom tapers make a difference. This is the one recommended to me by the guys at RS.

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/premium-vintage-explorer-flying-v-electronic-upgrade-kit/dp/360#

As it is, I play the guitar more or less wide open and just adjust with the amp. That's not what i'm used to. I upgraded my strat with an RS kit with hugeeeeee results so I think i'll do this as well.

Will be an improvement on the stock pots. The taper wasn't great on mine but much improved by Bare Knuckle 550k CTS pots.

Just a good old orange drop for the cap.

You'll need to widen the holes a touch for the new pots.

I bought some regular 500k CTS pots for all three knobs and reamed the holes for the larger size. I do have an orange drop .022 in there already. I just don't like the tapers of the pots so i'll probably just get the kit and be done with it.

I bought some regular 500k CTS pots for all three knobs and reamed the holes for the larger size. I do have an orange drop .022 in there already. I just don't like the tapers of the pots so i'll probably just get the kit and be done with it.

Ahhh... Thought you where still using the stock pots. How did you find the stock ones?

The BK pots where the second load of CTS pots I put in. The first set where junk. Horrible scratchy feel to them. The BK ones are hand selected but cost a premium.

Doubt you'd go wrong by dropping the RS kit in there.

How is your bridge? I moved over to locking studs from Schroeder. The stock bridge / studs combo had some lean to it. To much play between the bridge and where it fits in the studs....

Mike, after reading your post about the Schroeder bridge, I tried one. I just had my 3rd one put on an SE Singlecut P90. My ears love the way they improve the tone.

I just found one today, locally. Very good condition. Did NOT need another guitar BUT it has been upgraded with Duncan P-Rail pickups, each with a mini 3 way switch to select between single coile, P-90 or humbucker, It also has added Grover tuners and a replacement (intonable) bridge. I am very impressed (Esp for under $400!)

I am pretty sure that, with this guitar, I could have gotten at least 80% of the "tone" from our gig last weekend, at which I used a "Rather Expensive" (non-PRS) tone beast.

I haven't had a single problem with my bridge studs or the bridge! I can't imagine that it would do all that much more for my tone as some models of the American-made hardtails use the same bridge setup.

My new PRS SE Bernie Marsden

I am a very new member to the PRS family, having just gotten my first PRS guitar only two days ago now.
Mine is the SE Bernie Marsden with the black finish. I hadn't the opportunity to play one in person, so I had to rely on online reviews and videos.
I was unable to find a single negative comment on this model. Within seconds of holding her in my hands, I could see the hype was for real.
She immediately felt like an old friend. I've never bonded so quickly with a guitar.

My only problem with her is, I've been unable to put her down!
That is the mark of a truly great guitar, finding one that inspires you to play.

I just found one today, locally. Very good condition. Did NOT need another guitar BUT it has been upgraded with Duncan P-Rail pickups, each with a mini 3 way switch to select between single coile, P-90 or humbucker, It also has added Grover tuners and a replacement (intonable) bridge. I am very impressed (Esp for under $400!)

I am pretty sure that, with this guitar, I could have gotten at least 80% of the "tone" from our gig last weekend, at which I used a "Rather Expensive" (non-PRS) tone beast.
I`ll be really interested in what you think of the P-Rails. That`s the one mod I`ve thought about and haven`t done.

I`ll be really interested in what you think of the P-Rails. That`s the one mod I`ve thought about and haven`t done.

I am with the consensus, seemingly......P-Rails are a "jack of all trades, master of none". They are best for the P90 sound. Good, if not great, for the other two sounds......Which makes them very versatile, esp in a live situation. Note that you can use the HB sounds as either parallel or series (otherwise referred to as "vintage" and "modern"). I would not pick them over some others (I like the 57/08 and 59/09 combo, for example) but if you want pickups to give you a bit of everything without switching guitars, the P-Rails are a good choice.

You can get even more out of them by using the Duncan rings, or a combination of push/pulls to get FOUR soundsout of each pup. But there are some trade-offs in terms of being user-friendly.

Back