PRS 9.5 strings compared to 10's

ianslash

Just changed from PRS 9.5 gauge strings to 10's, Very surprised in the difference the guitar played so much better with the 9.5's on which at first I found to light.
Should I perceiver with the 10's which does have its bonuses when down tuning?

Only had my PRS custom 24 few months so still experimenting as I am a les paul man :)

I always used 10's until i owned prs's. then i switched to ghs 9.5's, and i'll never go back.

I have 9.5 on one guitar. It sounded so perfect with them when I got it that I'm keeping them on that guitar.
I usually use 10s, but have started using 11s on a few.

I always use a minimum of 10's on the bottom. They work well with drop d or when I tune down a half step.

If I don't use 10's throughout I used to go a hybrid set with a light top 9, 11, 13. More recently I started using a 9.5, 11.5, 13.5 on the top. Feels just right with a stoptail guitar, tuned down a half step.

Someone told me the PRS 9.5 strings are rebranded D'Addario 9.5s. Anyone know if this is true? The D'Addarios are 2 dollars less per pack.

Someone told me the PRS 9.5 strings are rebranded D'Addario 9.5s. Anyone know if this is true? The D'Addarios are 2 dollars less per pack.

To my knowledge this is correct. They have the same different color ball ends.

To consider is that 9.0 gauge strings on a 25.5 scale length guitar (Stratocaster) produce about the same string tension as 9.5 gauge on a 24.5 scale length guitar (newer PRS single cuts)
(or theoretical 9.25 gauge strings on a 25.0 scale (CU24)

I like 9.0' on strat scale guitar and 10.0' on PRS 24.5 Singlecuts.

Last edited:
Just changed from PRS 9.5 gauge strings to 10's, Very surprised in the difference the guitar played so much better with the 9.5's on which at first I found to light.
Should I perceiver with the 10's which does have its bonuses when down tuning?

Only had my PRS custom 24 few months so still experimenting as I am a les paul man :)

I, too, enjoy 9.5 gauge strings on my PRS. Closer in feel to the 9-46 gauge I use on my 25.5" scale guitars.

When you change gauges, you really need to tweak the guitar's setup. The 10's will pull on the neck a little more so you may need to tighten the truss rod a little bit to straighten it back out and get the action back down. 10's do play great (as do 11's), but they fatigue my left hand faster when it comes to bending.

I use them on 25" scale guitars and love them. I understand that they are made by D'Addario, but they are definitely NOT the same strings that D'A' markets under their own name. They are pure nickels but the D'Addario pure nickels are a different gauge and feel/sound different (to me at least). The PRS are definitely worth the extra money and the 9.5 is a perfect fit for their guitars. I use the PRS 10's on my 24.5" scale guitar.

Side note: every set I have had came with plain brass ball ends for each string, not the multi-color ones like D'Addario's.

10's on everything for me, 25.5, 25 or 24.75 just never had a problem playing and bending with 10s.

I USE 9.5'S ON MY MCCARTY'S AND SINGLECUT AND WOULDN'T EVER USE ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN ON THEM.. I USE TO USE 10'S FOR YEARS ON OTHER GUITARS. IT'S AMAZING WHAT A 1/2 GAUGE DIFFERANCE MAKES

To my knowledge this is correct. They have the same different color ball ends.

Actually I just bought 3 sets from
Use 9.5's on all my PRSi. Order them from Jack Gretz at

http://www.nemusiccenter.com/

Jim

and they just have the plain brass ball ends on them, not colored. Plus the price was a couple of dollars per set less than they are on the PRS site. Sorry, Paul. :(

I haven't put a set on yet because I have a set of M-steel 9's that I just put on not long ago, and they are playing pretty good. But I may just have to try a set soon to ease my curiosity. If they work out, I may never go back to 9's. :cool:

Mark

Last edited:
Back