PRS 594 Tailpiece Issue

frankencat

Guitarded
I am having an issue with my SE 594...the outer strings don't want to stay in the tailpiece. I think the way this one was was manufactured maybe the slots are too big to capture the ball end correctly. I have tried several different brands of strings and the same issue. I love the guitar and it is not going anywhere but I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I am thinking of reaching out to PRS and seeing if they would replace the tailpiece. Anyway let me know if you have noticed this. Thanks!

Edit: Just to clarify…The issue is that the outer strings don't want to stay in the tailpiece and when I string up the guitar it seems ok at first but when I get it in tune the outer strings (E-e) start to slip and the ball end is creeping up into the slot and it is a real pain to get it out again. I think it's possible that this tailpiece was manufactured out of tolerance or something but it seems like the slots are too big to fully capture the ball ends. I have tried several different brands of strings (GHS, D'Addario) and I am careful to make sure the strings are in the slots properly but I keep having the same issue. FWIW I am a luthier with 40 years in the biz and my own shop in central Florida so I think I know how to string up a guitar - at least I thought I did lol.

Last edited:
As I tune the guitar the ball ends creep up into the slots. It is a real pain to get them out afterwards. It seems ok at first but then the ball ends migrate into the slots. I really think this tailpiece is not right. I emailed PRS support to see what they think.

They want me to send the guitar to them, I am not doing that. I will just buy a new tailpiece and see if it is any different.

Back