PRS 59/09 Pickups in a late 90's PRS McCarty Model

bones4fido

Something harsh sounding about the lead pickup in my McCarty. It can can get kind of brittle sounding, especially with overdrive. I run in to a Mesa/Boogie MkIII combo w/EVM12L speaker. Maybe looking for a little bit warmer rounder tone. I've heard pretty good things about the 59/09's. I play Classic Rock and a little Blues. Would anyone have any suggestions? I want to keep the coil tap feature if that's possible. Thanks

I'll third that. The 59/09 is still in that same "classic PAF" zone as your original McCarty pickups, but they're beefed up a bit and have had all the rough edges toned down. Really really hard to beat 59/09's for classic rock.

I was also looking at the PRS 57/08's. There must be a stronger output with the 59/09's.

Does PRS make a covered version of the 59/09's? Do the covers make a difference in tone?

Does PRS make a covered version of the 59/09's? Do the covers make a difference in tone?

You can probably find a set on Reverb or the ‘bay, but it may take a while.

Coral Sky Music used to be the only place you could buy them new, now they only come uncovered. I bought a bridge pickup from them, but not the neck... cause I’m an idiot. Had I known how rare they would become, I’d have gotten the set!

I had 5909s in my 2000 McCarty for a while and they were fantastic!

They are stock in my 2011 cu24 and sound fantastic too. I'll never change pickups in this cu24.

Now having said all that, I put 5310s in my 97 ce24 and it sounds so freakin good I can't put it down.

Thanks for the input everyone! Kind of leaning towards the 57/08's. Lots of glowing reviews.

Yeah I’d probably try the 57/08s first (since you are looking for a rounder tone) and if that’s not your cup o tea, then try 59/09s. In an ideal world where everything was available, I’d say 53/10 then 57/08 but unless you want to pay the insane auction price for 53/10s, 57/08s are the answer (unless your McCarty has a rosewood neck, lol).

I’ve tried so many combinations of PRS pickups in PRS guitars that I think I’m finally settled...

Kinda wish I would have kept my McCarty pickups

Yeah I kept mine because I figure I’d need them if I ever sell one of my McCartys. If that happens, I’d definitely remove the 53/10s, LT, and the 59/09 before selling the guitar. I saved a set of 85/15 for the same reason (but for my custom 24).

The McCarty pickups are kinda weird because they went through so many iterations. I’ve had three sets from different time periods. One set sounded horrible while the other was surprisingly awesome. The other set sounded like a basic ole LP pickup. You just never know what you are going to get with them..

Yeah I kept mine because I figure I’d need them if I ever sell one of my McCartys. If that happens, I’d definitely remove the 53/10s, LT, and the 59/09 before selling the guitar. I saved a set of 85/15 for the same reason (but for my custom 24).

The McCarty pickups are kinda weird because they went through so many iterations. I’ve had three sets from different time periods. One set sounded horrible while the other was surprisingly awesome. The other set sounded like a basic ole LP pickup. You just never know what you are going to get with them..

I didn't know those pickups went through those changes.

Do you know what years YOU consider better?

I didn't know those pickups went through those changes.

Do you know what years YOU consider better?

Unfortunately, I never was able to correlate a year to the pickups. I do know that the two that were not great stock in one guitar and decent in the other guitar were both new 2007 McCartys from Dave’s. I just have no way to determine what year those pickups were made or what iteration they might have been. Both McCartys were identical though and both were 2007 models. The third set was a used set so the year was unknown but most likely not from 2007 since the sticker was older on the back.

If I were you, I would trust your own ears for whatever sounds good to you.

Unfortunately, I never was able to correlate a year to the pickups. I do know that the two that were not great stock in one guitar and decent in the other guitar were both new 2007 McCartys from Dave’s. I just have no way to determine what year those pickups were made or what iteration they might have been. Both McCartys were identical though and both were 2007 models. The third set was a used set so the year was unknown but most likely not from 2007 since the sticker was older on the back.

If I were you, I would trust your own ears for whatever sounds good to you.

The reason I ask is because I didn't care for the McCarty pickups in my 2000. A lot has changed since then and I might actually like them now.

I have an opportunity to trade for a set out of a SAS. Probably do the trade if it's offered.

Endless cycle of buy sell or mostly buy

The reason I ask is because I didn't care for the McCarty pickups in my 2000. A lot has changed since then and I might actually like them now.

I have an opportunity to trade for a set out of a SAS. Probably do the trade if it's offered.

Endless cycle of buy sell or mostly buy

I know what you mean about the buy sell cycle. Based on my experience with my pickups, I tend to think the older McCarty pickups sound better (to my ears). Also, I have no experience with any post-2007 sets so I can’t compare the current/recent offerings. The not so great 2007 set that I had sounded ‘not so great’ in every guitar I tried installing them in... but maybe it was just a bad set.

The only pickups in my stash that I don’t care for are the 85/15 set, the McCarty set, and a lone Black Dog bridge. Also I had a set of 57/08s but didn’t care for them in my McCarty so I installed them in a Custom 24 and sold them with that guitar. I could have put those pickups in a different guitar that they would have been fine in but I had a buyer who wanted them in the Cu24. It’s not that these stashed pickups all sound like crap, it’s just that I like other PRS pickups better in my PRS guitars.

However, I’m still looking for a used guitar to put my uncovered 53/10s in. I might end up buying a S2 for this purpose, but I think my PRS pickup swapping days are finally over.

Back