PRS 513 Noise problem

Slaventius

Hi there, please, could you help me to solve my problem.

I've got PRS 513 and it has too much noise even in humbucker mode.
It was made in 2015.
I e-mailed to PRS service and they told me to buy a good noise gate pedal.
Now I have Decimator ISP G-String II but it cuts sustain with the highest threshold. I need to reduce noise level to get more sustain. Adding shield doesn't help and only takes off high frequencies.
Maybe someone was able to decide this problem.
I use high quality cables Evidence and Lava.
I have Les Paul Standard and it doesnt have that noise problem.
This noise sounds like a buzz, seems like something is badly shielded. I can hear this buzz even when I play clean tones in humbucking mode in headphones. I don’t hear that on Les Paul.
When I turn on distortion pedal, this background noise becomes too strong for such an expensive instrument. Also the interference from my computer becomes much stronger.
Even more problems on the stage when a lot of lights. Les Paul is quiter than PRS in this situation.
For example if I record Les Paul I almost never use noise gate pedal. When I record PRS I use noise gate pedal and a high threshold.
When I touch strings on PRS this buzzing noise almost disappears but not completely like on Les Paul.
When looking inside, at the wiring, the middle single has a shielded wire and two pairs of singles have five wires that are shielded too.

Hmm that response does not sound like the PRS ( PTC ) I have dealt with, there normal response is " send us the guitar for evaluation " I also don't understand how adding shielding would change the high frequency, So I am confused. I believe your 513 would be a hand wired one ( ??? ) mine has the circuit board and is dead silent in both hum bucker modes in single coil the is the slightest noise but far below any single coil I have ever played except the 305 . On guitars I have had issues with in the past ( or just as a matter or course when changing pickups ) I have used shielding paint in the trem and control cavity.
Below is the shielding I added on a NF3 Project guitar I did.

I don't have a solution for you other than recontacting PTC ( they also hang out here ) or adding shielding paint on your own.
Best of luck

IMG_2671 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

Hmm that response does not sound like the PRS ( PTC ) I have dealt with, there normal response is " send us the guitar for evaluation " I also don't understand how adding shielding would change the high frequency, So I am confused. I believe your 513 would be a hand wired one ( ??? ) mine has the circuit board and is dead silent in both hum bucker modes in single coil the is the slightest noise but far below any single coil I have ever played except the 305 . On guitars I have had issues with in the past ( or just as a matter or course when changing pickups ) I have used shielding paint in the trem and control cavity.
Below is the shielding I added on a NF3 Project guitar I did.

I don't have a solution for you other than recontacting PTC ( they also hang out here ) or adding shielding paint on your own.
Best of luck

IMG_2671 by

Thanks. I tried shielding paint too. The buzz was still there. Only takes off high frequencies. Like using a capacitor with more uf. I personally changed pickups and shielded my Les Paul and i'm satisfied with the result.

My 513 runs quiet. I know there’s a printed circuit board involved but double check any wiring connections make sure something is not touching that should be insulated and look for cold solder joints. Sounds like you’re getting a slight antenna affect with 60 cycle noise or a harmonic frequency of it.

Back