PRS SE Holcomb noisy

St. Rosen

So I just got Holcomb signature 7 string yesterday and while I was trying it in store, everything seemed to be alright, however when I brought it home, plugged it in Neural DSP, I was really surprised to hear tons of static noise even on slightly distorted tones. I was expecting it to hold well on high gain tones since Holcomb is in Periphery. I was using EMG and Fishman pickups for last 5-6 years and this just got me feel confused. I can apply noise gate but that solves the problem only when I don't play anything. When I hit the string, it's just a wild mixture of the tone and noise. I could replace pickups for actives however that just ruins the idea of Holcomb's signature guitar. Any suggestion how to go about it, preferably from someone who's into periphery or even owns this model.

To be honest, I'd go back to the store and see if you can re-create the problem on the amp you used (and maybe others too for fun), or try it on any other amp you have handy. If not, then I would suggest it is a local-to-your-rig issue.

I have a MH SE 6-stringer, and I don't have that issue, but I'm not a Neural DSP user, so I have no idea what it might be sensitive to.

Is this the newer version w/the new signature pickups, or is it the old Alpha/Omega set? I have the A/O set, and I can't say I remember any particular noise. It is a high gain pup, though.

Does the noise change if you turn? Does it happen w/other guitars? First thing I'd do is try a different cable to make sure it's not that. Simplify the signal path as much as possible. Try different settings. It could be a bunch of different things. Do you have a different amp you can try?

I will try mine today just to make sure I'm not misremembering.

Is this the newer version w/the new signature pickups, or is it the old Alpha/Omega set? I have the A/O set, and I can't say I remember any particular noise. It is a high gain pup, though.

Does the noise change if you turn? Does it happen w/other guitars? First thing I'd do is try a different cable to make sure it's not that. Simplify the signal path as much as possible. Try different settings. It could be a bunch of different things. Do you have a different amp you can try?

I will try mine today just to make sure I'm not misremembering.
I have the 2022 version with Alpha Omega pickups. Already tried different cable and different guitar, cranked up noise gate, went directly guitar>interface. I'll try to plug it in Katana once I'm in studio tomorrow

So little update, I plugged it in my Katana to get even worse static noise... So ehm, I'm going back to the store, hopefully they'll be able to resolve the issue since I already dropped there one guitar for setup and repair, which means I'm guitarless rn :(

So another update. I went to electrician and tried continuity with multimeter to found out there's no grounding on bridge and pickup selector. Yikes

Glad you found the problem. I have been using the Rabea for quite a while now and it's so noisy. I thought you might be having the same problem..

Not sure if easy to fix but surely easy to return! :D
Obviously you should do whatever you feel you need - you got a faulty guitar. However, if you're happy with everything else about it, it *is* an easy fix, and one that the retailer who sold it to you should be willing to do for free (or reimburse if they don't do electronics work themselves). I'd start there if I was you, but YMMV

Obviously you should do whatever you feel you need - you got a faulty guitar. However, if you're happy with everything else about it, it *is* an easy fix, and one that the retailer who sold it to you should be willing to do for free (or reimburse if they don't do electronics work themselves). I'd start there if I was you, but YMMV
Yes, I'm taking it back tomorrow, they promised to fix it right away, but that's still another 20€ for train ticket and 20€ for new strings... Hopefully they won't charge me for the fix

Yes, I'm taking it back tomorrow, they promised to fix it right away, but that's still another 20€ for train ticket and 20€ for new strings... Hopefully they won't charge me for the fix
They absolutely should NOT charge for the fix, and I'd even mention the train ticket cost for you to come back with it. This isn't something that broke after use, this is something that should have been there from the start, you just got the guitar and realized it was defective. Push for them to make it right, including reimbursing your cost to bring it back to be corrected! Worst they can do is say no...

Back